Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I know this has been gone over a million times but I wanted to propose a scenario for you all.

I just picked up an IWB gun, the CZ PCR. I love it. But it is still pretty big. I'm starting to realize that realistically, I won't be carrying except when I am wearing a jacket or if I am going somewhere that would warrant it, such as a high stakes card game that I often frequent.

So my question is this...and I think I already know the answer. Would it be a better choice if I pocket carried an LCP unchambered every day rather than going unarmed?

I like the DA/SA manual of arms for safety because of the external hammer, and that's why I went with it for an IWB rig. But for pocket carry I'm not so sure I want to carry chambered with no manual safety, even in a DAO. What do you think? Get an LCP so I am carrying all the time, or just carry my PCR when I am willing to dress around the gun somewhat or if I am going somewhere I should really be armed.

:scratchchin:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I would not carry any gun, in any manner...unchambered.

LCP is completely safe in a pocket holster in a pocket dedicated to them...and them, alone...nothing else goes in that pocket but the holster and gun.

I would carry the LCP rather than go unarmed.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Why carry the LCP unchambered? With the long DAO trigger, it's an ideal situation, safety or not. You could also go with a Shield w/safety if it's that important to you. Personally I wouldn't carry any gun without a round in the chamber. Of course you could also get something like a S&W 442 j frame revolver for pocket carry as well. For pocket carry it would be nice to have something I could shoot from the pocket if needed.

Reactions: imthduke

·
Registered
368 Posts
Even though I'm a Ruger guy, I would suggest a Kahr .380. I chose the CT380 because its a little longer but still fits the pocket. 7+1 instead of 6+1. And minimal felt recoil.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Even though I'm a Ruger guy, I would suggest a Kahr .380. I chose the CT380 because its a little longer but still fits the pocket. 7+1 instead of 6+1. And minimal felt recoil.
I agree...CT380 is a better choice...I was thinking that you had already decided on maybe getting the LCP.

Reactions: RolandD

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree...CT380 is a better choice...I was thinking that you had already decided on maybe getting the LCP.
No preference. I just figured that's the most common micro .380. I've heard a lot of reliability issues with the Kahr's and the Ruger seems to have a good track record so that's all I ever really considered.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I carry an LCP, with a round in the chamber any time my only other option is to not carry a gun, within the scope of the law of course. Any reason you're opposed to a smaller gun to carry IWB?

As far as the LCP goes, they aren't bad guns, but the triggers suck. Ive heard the new ones arent as bad, but dont know for sure.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I carry an LCP, with a round in the chamber any time my only other option is to not carry a gun, within the scope of the law of course. Any reason you're opposed to a smaller gun to carry IWB?

As far as the LCP goes, they aren't bad guns, but the triggers suck. Ive heard the new ones arent as bad, but dont know for sure.
I have really long fingers and find the single stack 9's pretty uncomfortable. Then again, I won't really need them outside of maybe 5 yards max so range comfort shouldn't matter.

I rented the Shield and G43 and really wasn't fond of either. The PPS M2 I actually do really like, but I would prefer a manual safety on a striker fired gun. If I did get one it would be the shield for the safety, though it is my least favorite of the options otherwise.

If I got an LCP it would be the new custom model.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I like a 442 for the pocket but, there has to be a gaggle of small semi-autos that would work without carrying chamber empty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would not carry any gun, in any manner...unchambered.

LCP is completely safe in a pocket holster in a pocket dedicated to them...and them, alone...nothing else goes in that pocket but the holster and gun.

I would carry the LCP rather than go unarmed.
I 100% agree. When I want something larger, which seems to be most of the time now days, I carry a Springfield XDs45 in a Crimson Trace pocket holster. Of course, it has one in the chamber ready to shoot.

·
Registered
540 Posts
They make very minimalist type holsters designed for pocket carry. Some of them only cover the trigger so as not to add any real bulk to the weapon. I would look into that instead of not having a round in the chamber.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I would always carry chambered. You have to dress accordingly so that you can carry the gun all the time, not just some of the time. That's kind of like playing Russian roulette. Will something happen today? Is today the day I need to carry?

Reactions: CDW4ME

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
But for pocket carry I'm not so sure I want to carry chambered with no manual safety, even in a DAO. What do you think? Get an LCP so I am carrying all the time, or just carry my PCR when I am willing to dress around the gun somewhat or if I am going somewhere I should really be armed.

Pocket carry is my only mode of carry and I've been doing it for 8 years now.

Get a good pocket holster for whatever firearm you decide on. I would not ever carry unchambered. If you're ever in a critical encounter, chances are that you won't have time for cycling the action and probably not have both hands available.

Reactions: SatCong

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

I can vouch that the newer LCP's have a shorter trigger pull than the old ones. It still isn't extremely smooth, but it is a shorter pull.

Back to the OP's question, I carry an LCP with the chamber loaded. Don't forget you can carry the LCP inside the waistband and carry it comfortable with a very inexpensive holster. I use the DTOM IWB combo holster, super comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/Combination-POCKET-Holster-Keltec-CC3/dp/B008UGE6B0

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not so sure I want to carry chambered with no manual safety, even in a DAO. I am willing to dress around the gun somewhat or if I am going somewhere I should really be armed.
Here in Florida we have a set of circumstances different than others. Even if they do think it gets just as hot and humid up there as we do, it doesn't. Dressing down to meet the heat causes concealed carry to be difficult and I've resorted to pocket carry with this year's record heat. I'm using a Sig 938 cocked and locked in a Sticky Holster which also serves iwb under a shirt. I appreciate its physical safety, I have great disdain for striker fires. Small size helps in Florida as it hides under light casual clothes better, for me. The use of a self defensive pistol is going to be a reaction to an action, carrying anything unchambered is making the gun a mute point.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
What do you think? Get an LCP so I am carrying all the time, or just carry my PCR when I am willing to dress around the gun somewhat or if I am going somewhere I should really be armed.

:blink:

I would always carry chambered. You have to dress accordingly so that you can carry the gun all the time, not just some of the time. That's kind of like playing Russian roulette. Will something happen today? Is today the day I need to carry?
This.
Criminals are mobile, a place perceived as good can quickly change if the wrong people show up.

Here in Florida we have a set of circumstances different than others. Even if they do think it gets just as hot and humid up there as we do, it doesn't.
Yesterday I wore a untucked plaid shirt, cargo shorts and carried a Glock 21 appendix IWB plus a Kahr PM9 in pocket.
No, I can't dress like that at work, but otherwise that is pretty much standard.
After running errands, about 5 PM I checked here and area near Daytona Beach FL; I intend to move to FL eventually, so curious :)evil: hot here).
At 5 PM here: 92 feels like 104 .... near Daytona 88 feels like 94
Swap plaid shirt for tropical print and I be GTG in FL.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
You can carry a small gun iwb. It's very comfortable even here in the Texas heat and you don't have to carry your keys in a different pocket than you normally would.
I carry a Pico iwb in a N82 microcompact iwb holster in the summer and it's more comfortable than pocket carrying.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Pocket carry with something like a Desantis Nemesis holster is a great way to go. I did for a long time with a Chief's Special and do it
now with a Sig 938 or a Walther PPKS.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Why can't you carry iwb or a bigger gun?

Carrying an lcp unchambered is better than carrying no gun. But it's also almost the equivalent to not carrying a gun. I can throw many scenarios at you in which an un chambered pocket gun is as useful as carrying a rock. You shouldn't be carrying a gun without a holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 52 Posts