Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a little time yesterday to work with my P95. It has proven itself reliable and I have moved it into my EDC rotation.
This is my final target, double taps (DA/SA), point shooting from draw to hip at 5 yards.

133.jpg 128.jpg 129.jpg

Real happy with the COM hits, although the first double tap was a bit low.

The head shots seem to be all over the target. At 5 yards, if this target was moving, most would have been misses.
The far right and far left shots were the last double tap fired and in that order. Not sure if the degrading of the group was due to fatigue or frustration or both.
I tire quickly, so my range sessions are seldom over 50-100 rounds. Yesterday was an exception were I shot 200 rounds in about an hour.
I worked solely on point shooting from 5, 7, & 10 yards. Shoulder point at 7 & 10 (one & two handed) with Hip at 5 (right hand only).

Thoughts critiques?

AzQkr or Mike1956, any suggestions? I know you have more experience than I will ever have.

Sorry for the sideways pics, they aren't that way on my computer.

·
Registered
929 Posts
It looks like the target was on a fence or gate. What was the height of the head of the target?

Reactions: Doghandler

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Always good to practice. Keep at it.

I try point shooting and front sight only at 7 yds.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
How does it look from three yards?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Always good to practice. Keep at it.

I try point shooting and front sight only at 7 yds.
Heck, I'll probably get stuck on verbal warnings like, "Do I know your Dad?" before I go into self defense mode. :embarassed:

:image035:

Reactions: mjadams61

·
Registered
326 Posts
Respectable practice round ,IMHO . The idea is to lay enough lead on target to reduce or neutralize the threat . Looks like that's what you did .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Point shooting is not to get bullseyes(or you'd use the sights instead) normally just to get rounds on target ASAP which saves you aim time.. then if needed you would transition to sights ASAP when practical.. for getting rounds on target id say looks good . For the way I was taught at the Military School I went to thats good point shooting you did.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like the target was on a fence or gate. What was the height of the head of the target?
My target stand is five foot to the top. Would like to be six, but my berm isn't high enough for that.

I don't practice head shots at three yards because the upward angle would clear my berm.

·
Premium Member
37,021 Posts
Your results work for me. Brownie has some videos out there where he describes and demonstrates the various point-shooting positions as they pertain to distance. At fifteen feet, I would probably be at three-quarter hip or maybe even closer to point shoulder.
As for a moving target, I concern myself more with my ability to move and shoot at such distances. You can do that on a stationary target.
Brownie will probably be checking in here soon.
At close range point shooting, I generally put out more than double taps...more like quintuple taps.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm a little prejudiced. I've carried a S&W 36 for almost 20 years and am much better with it than what I did yesterday with the P95. Have never believed in spray and pray and having only five rounds tends to make a person not waste any shots.

Transitioning from a DAO 38 snub to a DA/SA semi-auto is a challenge. Old habits die hard.

Thanks Mike.
Moving and shooting are rather difficult for me with the cane. I do some practice, but have ended on the ground more than once. Stand and deliver just works better for me.
I've got most of Brownie's videos. Good stuff and has helped me adapt what I was taught with a rifle to point shoot with a pistol.
Three quarter hip doesn't work well for me since I had my shoulder surgery. Pain has a tendency to mess up a person's aim.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Premium Member
37,021 Posts
I'm a little prejudiced. I've carried a S&W 36 for almost 20 years and am much better with it than what I did yesterday with the P95. Have never believed in spray and pray and having only five rounds tends to make a person not waste any shots.
I don't spray and pray, either. I just operate and practice on the assumption that if I am point shooting at close range, I'm in the fight of my life and I have to get the threat stopped fast. Since I probably won't be delivering CNS shots, I'm trying to take out the hydraulic system quickly by installing multiple leaks in it. As you have seen for yourself, you aren't missing at that range.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
After I started point shooting, I just kept moving the target out further, then further, and would work in that range until I was doing as good or better than the previous range. And keep going. You would be surprised how accurate you can be at some ranges that most people don't think you can be.

good job.

·
Registered
929 Posts
My target stand is five foot to the top. Would like to be six, but my berm isn't high enough for that.
My only question would be, are you developing your muscle memory to shoot about a foot low on the average male assailant? That would put your head shoots in the upper chest (which isn't necessarily bad). And then, when you add (subtract) that foot to the low center mass X on the B-27 target, are those shots ending up in the pelvic/crotch area (again, not necessarily bad)? Good shooting by the way.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My only question would be, are you developing your muscle memory to shoot about a foot low on the average male assailant? That would put your head shoots in the upper chest (which isn't necessarily bad). And then, when you add (subtract) that foot to the low center mass X on the B-27 target, are those shots ending up in the pelvic/crotch area (again, not necessarily bad)? Good shooting by the way.
This was done with live ammunition on a static target. It was a test of my practice with the laser cartridge and picking random targets.
My goal is to be proficient from any direction of approach or shooting position out to at least 15 yards. Which is what I am with the snub. I think that is what upset me the most. My first COM double tap was four inches below where I intended it to be. This from a square on standing position. I'm not where I want to be.

I'm going to keep working on it. With current events I've come to believe that the day where a five shot 38 being enough may be gone.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Good shooting. I would take that target any day. I practice with my handguns at about 10 yards and closer. Gets out to 25 yds or so, I am probably doing my best to vacate the situation :smile:

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Point shooting is not to get bullseyes(or you'd use the sights instead) normally just to get rounds on target ASAP which saves you aim time.. then if needed you would transition to sights ASAP when practical.. for getting rounds on target id say looks good . For the way I was taught at the Military School I went to thats good point shooting you did.
For me, point shooting is about being able to hit my target at close range. I cannot see my front sight without reading glasses, and I believe it is very unlikely I will have them on should I suddenly find myself in a SD situation. My sight is good beyond about 5'. If only my arms were a little longer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For me, point shooting is about being able to hit my target at close range. I cannot see my front sight without reading glasses, and I believe it is very unlikely I will have them on should I suddenly find myself in a SD situation. My sight is good beyond about 5'. If only my arms were a little longer.
For the point shooting I was taught you dont use the sights at all not even the front. Your gun isnt even at sight level(eye level) when you shoot. its all from practice/training/muscle memory. but transition to them ASAP. So thats correct all your trying to do at a closer range is get your shots on target faster then the bad guy gets his on you.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
TS,

I think you're putting the rounds pretty much in the area where you want them to go, based on the targets shown. I'd not worry too much about the few errant rounds that are still on threat. If you can shoot where you're looking like these targets demonstrate, at the distances mentioned without use of sights, you're on the correct path for what you're trying to accomplish.

Good shooting sir, I don't see where many could argue with these results shown, even using the sights.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts