Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to upstate PA, near the NY state border this weekend to a friends parents house where they had 30+ acres and their own outdoor range. One of the guns I brought was my Ruger LCP, which I wanted to try point shooting with as I'm not able to do this at the indoor range I belong to.

I drew from the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster I had at 3 and 5 yards and shot at pumpkins and sections of wood set up to fall when hit.

I now finally know why the sights on the LCP are virtually non-existent! You don't need them! When I drew and brought the gun up with a two-handed grip, as with a larger gun, and tried to focus in on the sights and target, I shot only so-so and missed just as much as I hit.

When I drew, and held the gun about halfway between waist and shoulders and instinctively point shot using a one-handed grip, I hit the wood and those pumpkins every time! Wow! What I was finding with the two-handed grip also was I sometimes hit the mag release and with the one-handed grip, this problem was eliminated.

I was really surprised and happy to see that the point shooting style really worked for me, as the LCP and my new Seecamp .32 (which has NO sights at all) are going to be my EDC guns and the larger ones will be relegated to home defense duty. Now I'm just going to have to go back to this place more and practice my point shooting!

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I found I am much more accurate just ripping off in rapid fire as opposed to trying to do slow aimed fire. I can make a styrofoam cup dance around on the ground hitting it every time no matter where it lands in rapid fire.

I'm really liking my LCP and think it's a great little gun. As a contact range gun out to 3 or 4 feet banging away with 7 rounds of Gold Dots, I do not foresee being any problem putting someone down.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Learning to point shoot buys you a lot of time, it really works and keep training.

Like the old saying, " He who buys the most time in a gun fight wins".

Also sold on point shooting for SD.

Congrats!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I love my little LCP. I'm trying to convice my father to get one as well. He said he is going to wait until Spring to pick one up. Hopefully by then there will be more 380 by then. If not, I GUESS, I can share some with the old man. LOL

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I think it is better to point shoot smaller handguns such as the Ruger LCP and even J frame S&W revolvers. The sights are just too small to use in a hurry. JMHO. I use the same technique of point shooting with my LCP.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Just took an course in Threat-Focused Shooting...point shooting, I'll never train with my sights again...no need.:blink:
If you can look and point, you can point and shoot.:yup:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I think it is better to point shoot smaller handguns such as the Ruger LCP and even J frame S&W revolvers. The sights are just too small to use in a hurry. JMHO. I use the same technique of point shooting with my LCP.
Personally I think point shooting is the only way to really shoot with a handgun

It's not just smaller guns. That's the way I shoot all my handguns from a carry position.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I told ya so! Thats the way combat shooting is done. We dont need no stinking sights!
Now one more person understands why I chuckle at the lasers and other gadgetry we love to buy.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Just took an course in Threat-Focused Shooting...point shooting, I'll never train with my sights again...no need.:blink:
If you can look and point, you can point and shoot.:yup:
Yea, yea, rub it in. If you don't live in FL or AZ the courses don't come around. :wink:

I do some of it on my own, but would like to be able to take a course from folks that aren't hoping their getting it right.

·
Banned
102 Posts
is it true that ammo for th 380 is hard to find?

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I do some of it on my own, but would like to be able to take a course from folks that aren't hoping their getting it right.
I'm with you. I have been reluctant to try and teach myself. I'm sure I could, but I don't want to develop any bad habits.

I'm waiting for the next time I get to see my nephew and have him go shooting with me to help me out. He's a Border Patrol agent and they teach an extensive amount of point shooting in the Border Patrol Academy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry to dig this thread up but...

I'm still learning to shoot my LCP, only have around 200 rounds through it. Went this past weekend and discovered a new problem: mag was dropping after two shots. After some detective work, I found that I when I held it with both hands, my strongside/right thumb was pressing the mag release about every other double-tap. I kept trying to work myself into keeping my thumb off, but it just wants to go where the release is.

Talked to a buddy at work about it (who also has one) and he told me to stop shooting the LCP two-handed :twak:, that there just isn't any reason for it, nor is there room for someone with larger hands to get both thumbs on the side of the gun. At the distances this gun was made for, you'll likely not need a two-handed grip anyway.

Makes sense now. I'll have to start practicing single-handed (as well as off-handed, which I don't do enough even with my larger handguns).

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
For me thats how I primarily practice with my LCP. I think it's best to practice as close to the way it'll be drawn and presented for memory and a more realistic effect. Not to mention, just how much fun it is to work on the fast draw and shoot!:hand5:

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I Point shoot with all my carry guns ; ) Use SITES/SCOPE on long guns H/D

·
Registered
454 Posts
I started carrying with a NAA 32acp...I was shooting once at an outdoor range at a bowling pin and started point shooting...was amazed that I could hit it every time point shooting...trying to aim, I would miss more than I hit it.. I just got my LCP this weekend and am amazed at how easy it is to shoot... haven't had enough ammo to practice pont shooting yet...Robbie

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
when it "hits the fan" you will not have time to get a sight picture. you will do some type of "point shooting". you should train in point shooting with your carry gun, no matter the size or brand of the gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts