Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my girlfriend lost her mind and took off with one of my guns so I reported it stolen. She showed back up with it and threatened to shoot herself. Everything ends without incident, the police will keep my gun until after court. I live in VA and have contacted VCDL. What else can I do?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Doesn't sound like they plan to keep it beyound using it as evidence. Don't see that is much you can do unless you are saying they plan to keep it permanently. If that is there plan I would get a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
cjm5874 said:
Long story short, my girlfriend...took off with one of my guns so I reported it stolen. She showed back up with it and threatened to shoot herself. Everything ends without incident, the police will keep my gun until after court. I live in VA and have contacted VCDL. What else can I do?
How about waiting patiently and politely until your stolen property is returned after it is no longer needed as primary evidence? So far, nothing the police did seems out of line or inappropriate. Why are you upset?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Inevitable - gun must be retained as evidence. Once court situation is over then it should be returned as a matter of course.

If not then you would have to make loud noises!

·
Registered
998 Posts
That's fairly normal procedure to keep the stolen property in evidence until after trial. Usually, we try to document the evidence through photos and such and return to the rightful owner ASAP, but I have a case where a stolen gun was recovered in another county. They won't give it to me to return to the owner until the trial is over. I called him to let him know it had been recovered and that I would get it back to him when I could. He was cool with that.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I dont see the problem here either sounds like normal stuff to me just have to wait if its your only gun then yeah be a little mad but go buy another

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Ditto what others said. The police are not normally in the business of stealing another's legally owned property. You'll get it back when it's all over. No amount of yelling, begging or anything else will get it back any quicker....

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I should have added the following information. I was a bit upset when I posted.
1. She was released without charges because I had recovered the gun.
2. The police threatened to arrest me for being armed in my home with my children.
3. My Sheriff and Police chief are almost as anti-gun as the ones in Northern VA.

So, being there is no court case, what evidence will it be used as?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
2. The police threatened to arrest me for being armed in my home with my children.
WTH???!!!!! What ARE they talking about??? Holy moly.

So then if not needed as evidence - it sounds like you should claim (and get) it back pronto. Having local cops who are anti tho - shucks - wonder what ploy they'll try to frustrate your efforts to get back - YOUR property.

Could even be if they put up hurdles or brick walls, you'll have to get an attorney to help. This is amazing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
WOW. I would document all phone calls, conservation, names, time and dates, etc. and call a lawyer for advice.

If that does not get you anywhere call the NRA. I have seen somewhere on the NRA website that they offer legal help and advice I cases like this.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
I'm waiting for that, too, BlueLion. If it is, indeed, as you said during the clarification, and without something else going on, it really IS time to call a lawyer. They will be paying you to get this case.....

·
Registered
208 Posts
There's three sides to every story-
Yours, theirs and the truth.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry guys that's the whole story. The only gun they took was the one I reported stolen. They did not take the one I was carrying at the time of the incident. She was released into the care of mental health professionals without charges because I recovered the gun from her. Not a problem as far as I was concerned I just wanted my gun back. They then logged it into evidence and took that gun. Then one of the cops, who I think was showing off for his sexy young rookie partner (she was smokin' hot!) told me that he could arrest me for endangering the welfare of my children for having a loaded firearm in the house (in the holster on my hip). This is VA and we have really liberal gun laws here so I was surprised to hear that from a cop here

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
told me that he could arrest me for endangering the welfare of my children for having a loaded firearm in the house (in the holster on my hip).
That's the real chunk of bovine excrement!!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Friend, I ain't making accusations here, but I just don't see the police just taking someone's property like that. The only way the police can seize something is if it is contraband, evidence, or stolen/lost property to be returned to the rightful owner.

Have you contacted someone high up in the department? Have you gone to the local courts for an order to have your property returned?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts