Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have always liked to think most LE appreciate citizens legally carrying.

I got pulled over this morning for speeding. I left at a couple hours later than usual and unaware of the active school zone (my neighborhood street comes out in-between the 2 flashing school zone signs so I didn't see the flashing lights). Motorcycle cop gets me at 32 in a 25.
First thing you're supposed to say in OK when getting pulled over is "I have a license to carry a firearm and I'm carrying today" or something very close to that. Informed him of this, he asked where, told him on my hip and that was that. He came back with a voided ticket and only gave a warning. We were both very polite and respectful. Didn't get a ticket --- I didn't even get shot :shocked:

Maybe it was my politeness, maybe it was me having a carry license..maybe he was just having a good day. I'd like to think he appreciated me carrying.
I'd like to say thank you to all LE and military.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
My last "official" encounter with local LE was a kind reminder that my inspection sticker needed to be renewed.
Handed him my license, registration, insurance and CWL. He glanced at the CWL, handed it back and said "Thank you for notifying me and thank you for carrying" then sent me on my way.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Police are no different than the rest of the public; their opinions will run the gamut on the topic of an armed population. Most that I know are either very supportive of it or tolerant of the idea. There are plenty that don't like it though and I know more than one that won't, themselves, carry unless they're on duty, or now retired, won't carry at all.

·
Premium Member
36,808 Posts
Personally, I am three for four on warnings-only since I have been carrying. Ohio is must-inform. The one time I did get a ticket while carrying was when I jack-knifed my tractor-trailer on a slick get-off ramp. Even then, the trooper was extremely helpful, driving me a couple miles up the interstate to a restaurant to be picked up by my wife.

·
Registered
10,772 Posts
I've never been stopped while carrying, but our sheriff here in our Utah county is extremely supportive of the 2A. I'm reasonably sure from what I have heard that this trickles down to all of his deputies.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had a conversation recently with a police officer about this issue. We are both vets who volunteer in a veterans organization. We were discussing different types of handguns and he asked if I was a CCW license holder. It was then I asked him what the feeling was among the law enforcement community about private citizens being licensed to carry guns. He reported that early on when the law was new there was some concern on how it would all work and some apprehension. Even though he made sure I knew that he can't speak for every LEO, the general feeling in law enforcement is that carrying is a right and, like all rights, must be protected. He did remind me to always report to any police officer that you have a license and that you are or aren't carrying a weapon on your person or in your car. Even though it's the law to say you are a license holder, and the officer will know you are from your license plate before they approach your vehicle, he said that being honest, respectful and forthcoming gives a lot of reassurance to the officer that he's dealing with a conscientious, rational person. That's a message that I want to pass on to all of you.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
rmak's post pretty much sums up what my BIL LEO of 33 yrs active duty said.
Plus the last time he visited us - (he's from the city and we're rural) - he recommended we get
a German Shepherd, an AR15 and 5000 rounds of ammunition for the home.
I'm working on it but that's a lot of ammo!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
We don't have to notify in my state but the last time I got pulled over for speeding (state patrol, county highway), I handed him my card (just to see if perhaps it did "help") and he immediately handed it back, saying "I don't need that" and went on to guilt trip me about speeding. Gave me a seat belt wrist-slap and a speeding ticket and we went opposite directions. Not the greatest experience, but it certainly could have been worse.

Reactions: SIGP250

·
Registered
712 Posts
Does anybody know if there's a way to find out what states can tell by your license plate if you have a CCW? I don't think PA. dose.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My encounter with LE today (friendly) At the local hospital records section I saw a person about 6 ft tall clean shaven and carrying a Sig. I said, excuse me sir, why don't you have a Glock like every one else? he smiled and replied I like Sigs.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Our Sheriff told us at a renewal meeting (required) that they appreciate us out there. That has been made obvious in their actions as my county has long allowed Shall Issue type behavior vs much of the rest of the state.

Never had a problem or concern from the 2 officers I gave my permit to when addressed. Both were at sobriety checkpoints.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Here in TX we have the duty to inform statute. I've had my license for nearly 9 years now, but haven't had any LEO contact in that time. Keeping my fingers crossed for that streak to continue.

Reactions: Pijo73

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Here in TX we have the duty to inform statute. I've had my license for nearly 9 years now, but haven't had any LEO contact in that time. Keeping my fingers crossed for that streak to continue.
Must be nice. Do you must live in a a rural area? Where I live they ride around most of the time looking for reasons to write a revenue tickets.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
From what I've read and heard, cops in NJ love it when they learn that people are carrying, but not for the reasons inferred or implied by other posters.
Mike....you are a lost talent....you know how to just spin those words.....you should be employed by one of those political think tanks. LOL :smile:

·
Registered
41,613 Posts
Mike....you are a lost talent....you know how to just spin those words.....you should be employed by one of those political think tanks. LOL :smile:
Pleeeeeaze . . . don't encourage him.

I've heard of exit ramps, I've heard of off ramps, but never a "get off" ramp. Learn something new every day. Now back to my Irish coffee.

·
Registered
323 Posts
rmak's post pretty much sums up what my BIL LEO of 33 yrs active duty said.
Plus the last time he visited us - (he's from the city and we're rural) - he recommended we get
a German Shepherd, an AR15 and 5000 rounds of ammunition for the home.
I'm working on it but that's a lot of ammo!
last time i reloaded .223 i did up over 6K of them.
looking to do another 10K this summer.

and that is just for my .223 ammo.

but as issues with a leo, so far no contact,(three different states) and hope to keep it that way, (nothing bad about any leo) just do not need a ticket.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I was pulled over Sunday in IL by a motorcycle State Trooper.
Since I can't carry in IL, the firearm was unloaded and locked away. IL has no "duty to inform" so no issues.
It was a roadside DOT inspection, no violations.

Last year one of our drivers struck and killed an IL motorcycle Officer. Investigation determined the Officer was at fault (he was off his bike, citing another motorist). Now they pull us over all the time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 53 Posts