Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
I make a motion for keel hauling. Do I have a second?
Second. Drawing and quartering would work too.
You missed the point. The victim and the person deserving of being treated like a human being was the telemarketer ( the guy who was putting you in a circuitous hold loop while he changed your passwords )! Just be nice to him and you will fare better.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I don't answer...just like the doorbell...but every now and then I will answer, "Sheriff's Office, Fraud Division...may I help you?"

And for those who might worry, that isn't impersonating.

Reactions: msgt/ret and Sister

·
Banned
705 Posts
You missed the point. The victim and the person deserving of being treated like a human being was the telemarketer ( the guy who was putting you in a circuitous hold loop while he changed your passwords )! Just be nice to him and you will fare better.
I think you're missing the point.

All the games people play on telemarketers are not only pointless but very likely to backfire on them. The easiest way to get rid of the telemarketer is just don't answer the phone

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
I like to fry their ears with loud noises. First I’ll tell them in a faint soft voice that i can’t hear them so they will listen to me harder and hopefully put their ear to the phone, then I scream at the top of my lungs or use a horn to blast their ears.

Hope it hurts :yup:

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
I think you're missing the point.

The easiest way to get rid of the telemarketer is just don't answer the phone

No sir your missing the point. Stop calling us, you made the first move.

..and besides, we actually have much better ways of getting rid of telemarketers, but if I told you then I’d have to kill you :image035:
(shhhh, we have alligators that do our biddness for us, we serve southern gators telemarketers and okra Mmmmm)

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
@Cypher I think you are misunderstanding what most of us are talking about. We are not talking about telemarketers with whose companies we already have an account! WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ROBO CALLS AND SCAMS.

I do feel sorry for anyone who cannot find an honest job and has to lower him or herself to working for these scam companies.

There was a time when you could answer the phone and be polite in your refusal to purchase or to support an organization. The scammers and thieves have ruined that for all of us. Polite does not work anymore.

Mostly I just hang up, but after those 4 ghastly calls in a row the other day our new firm policy is DO NOT ANSWER. Let it go to voice mail, and most of the time there is no message left on the answering machine. Suits me fine. Several years ago I learned that when I phoned my brother I needed to say, "Dan, pick up the phone. This is your sister." That usually worked.

Unfortunately, we occasionally get a legitimate phone call from either a friend who has disabled caller ID or from a doctor's office with a number that is not familiar to us. But we can return legitimate calls!

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
This is a hilarious response to a telemarketer:

This was hilarious.. But it actually happens.

A couple years ago, I had stopped by a homicide investigation, to chat with a friend/fellow LEO about another case, when the victim's phone rang.

The LT in charge of the investigation answered the phone, and then started asking similar questions. Turned out it was a telemarketer, but I'm sure, the guy on the other end of the phone, wished he had not picked that number to call.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Disagree. If someone has agreed to be a telemarketer for a company whose dialing program violates the national do not call list, will not honor do not call requests and sells calling information with other telemarketers they are breaking the law and they are unethical. They deserve whatever nasty response they get. My strategy is to waste their time, to tie them up and keep them from making more calls as long as I can, to make them less profitable. I keep them on the line, thinking they are going to sell me something long enough to find out who they really represent, enough information to report them to the FTC and to my attorney.

Anyone who has been one of that kind of telemarketer should be ashamed of themselves, but since they are that kind of person, they probably aren't. I will not surrender to that kind of behavior by cooperating with it in any way.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The other day I got 4 calls in a row from "Publishers Clearing House" using an obviously faked phone number. I have not sent in or registered in any way for their drawing, which means it was a big time scam. I made the mistake of telling the guy he woke me up from my nap, and HE got nasty. This jerk went so far as to tell me he had to keep calling until I listened to what he had to tell me. And he did keep calling!

UNTIL: The 4th phone call was answered by Gramps. The guy started talking with these words: "Your wife should not be sleeping in the afternoon." I cannot write what Gramps then blurted out because I would get banned....(Gramps normally does not swear)...but we never got a 5th call.
I got two of those ads from " Publishers Clearing House" in our mail box one day so I got on Facebook and told everybody how lucky I was. I MAY have won twice in the SAME day. But I still don't see anybody coming by with the big check. The junk mail is bad enough but at least they haven't been calling me from P.C.H. .

·
Banned
705 Posts
My strategy is to waster their time, to tie them up and keep them from making more calls as long as I can, to make them less profitable.
If the guy on the phone REALLY wanted to get off the phone he'd hang up on you. But since he's getting paid by the hour not the call he doesn't care.

I keep them on the line, thinking they are going to sell me something long enough to find out who they really represent, enough information to report them to the FTC and to my attorney.
How's that working out for you?

·
Banned
705 Posts
The telemarketer I used to work for was phenomenally disorganized. SIX MONTHS after I quit and got an honest job I got a phone call from them one day. I don't remember exactly how they worded it but they told me that I had several unexcused absences and if I didn't show up for work the next day I could consider myself terminated. I called HR and very politely informed them that I had resigned with notice six months previous.

The second telemarketing company I worked for (inbound customer service) told me on my last day that I couldn't quit without sending notice up through my supervisor to his supervisor to HR. I put my company phone and my company ID on the HR lady's desk and asked her to let me know how that worked out for her and walked out.

I worked there for I think 6 months and I was like the kiss of death. Because they would assign me to a given group and then fire my supervisor the next day. After a while I quit asking who my supervisor was. I would just show up for my shift go to a cube in the back next to a window and the person that worked in that cube would wait till I got there before they clocked out and left so I could take that cube. Then I'd clock in and do my shift and leave.

It was a weird company. They dealt with people's credit card information and every so often the police would show up and just arrest somebody right off the floor for fraudulently using a customer's credit card. One of the supervisors was dating one of her co-workers and apparently called him up on the phone one night and made him listen to her blowing her brains out.

All of the supervisors tried to make it sound like this was your entry into Corporate America and if you walked away from this job you were going to be homeless wino for the rest of your life. The company closed and every single one of their jobs moved to India or someplace like that.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
If the guy on the phone REALLY wanted to get off the phone he'd hang up on you. But since he's getting paid by the hour not the call he doesn't care.
How's that working out for you?
Very well, actually, I hardly ever get telemarketing calls anymore and when I do, I never get a second one from the same organization or with the same pitch. I have strategies for marketing emails also and I rarely get those either, and never from the same organization twice.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I am not angry because Cypher gave us all of that information about how it works. Just wondering what happens when I don't answer but call back in a half hour and when they say that the "donation center" line is busy then I block them. I get the feeling that they don't know that I called back because they are a CALL OUT ONLY system. Right Mr. Cypher? Sometimes I need to know if it was an important call so I will call the number back after a little while. If the number is blocked I know that it is a telemarketer. If somebody answers and they say they didn't call me I will tell them that a telemarketer just used their number. SORRY!
From what I have seen on here I get the idea that these telemarketers think that people never have a need to answer calls if they don't know the number. The reason why I have answered calls lately is because we have requested medical records to be sent to us from several different places to take to another medical center. Maybe it is just a game to telemarketers but it could be life or death to somebody who needs vital information.

·
Banned
705 Posts
I am not angry because Cypher gave us all of that information about how it works. Just wondering what happens when I don't answer but call back in a half hour and when they say that the "donation center" line is busy then I block them. I get the feeling that they don't know that I called back because they are a CALL OUT ONLY system. Right Mr. Cypher? Sometimes I need to know if it was an important call so I will call the number back after a little while. If the number is blocked I know that it is a telemarketer. If somebody answers and they say they didn't call me I will tell them that a telemarketer used their number to call me, SORRY!
It depends on if you're working inbound or outbound but I never actually had a telephone at my desk I worked from a computer. I don't think I could have taken an inbound call if I was in an outbound Center if I tried I don't even know if it was even possible.

Rule of thumb if it was an important and legitimate call they'll leave a voicemail

·
Banned
705 Posts
Very well, actually, I hardly ever get telemarketing calls anymore and when I do, I never get a second one from the same organization or with the same pitch. I have strategies for marketing emails also and I rarely get those either, and never from the same organization twice.

I rarely get telemarketing calls either. I just don't waste nearly as much time on it as you do.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Seems like the phone company should be able to filter out the spam calls just like my email service does. I never get an email from anybody who I don't know or have done business with lately. Spam goes into the spam file. I have a guy who sent me hundreds of mostly religious emails. He sent some that were blackmailing me that if I didn't say or do what was required then it meant that I don't love Jesus. I have a special file for his mail and I dump it about once a year without having to look at it. I have a special Eddie file. I haven't checked to see if Eddie has figured out why he doesn't get any replies yet.

·
Registered
467 Posts

The easiest way to get rid of the telemarketer is just don't answer the phone
Maybe we are on to something here. The easiest way to avoid drunk drivers is to not drive your car. The easiest way to avoid muggers is to never leave home. Perhaps I'll just get rid of my phone altogether. Problem solved! No wait................

·
Banned
705 Posts
To all of you guys who are getting all wrapped around the axel over this thread.

I'm actually glad you posted this because it gives me a good lead for what I'm trying to say.

I'm retired. I get to waste my time on whatever amuses me. And harassing scumbags amuses me.
The point I'm trying to make in this thread is that all you're (collectively) doing is getting your blood pressure up while making zero impact on the guy on the other end of the phone. You're not harassing him. You're not intimidating him. You're not causing him to rethink his life choices. He doesn't care. He is sitting on the other end of that line with his headset on mute either laughing at you or playing with his smart phone. All you're really doing is allowing him to do is get paid to listen to you (do nothing) rant.

Now if you want to waste whatever portion of the very finite amount of time you have left in this life on that, knock yourself out, I choose not to.

I choose not to give the guy even a second of my time.

Be water

·
Registered
712 Posts
Seems like the phone company should be able to filter out the spam calls just like my email service does. I never get an email from anybody who I don't know or have done business with lately. Spam goes into the spam file. I have a guy who sent me hundreds of mostly religious emails. He sent some that were blackmailing me that if I didn't say or do what was required then it meant that I don't love Jesus. I have a special file for his mail and I dump it about once a year without having to look at it. I have a special Eddie file. I haven't checked to see if Eddie has figured out why he doesn't get any replies yet.
If you are getting spam/scam calls on your land line, I recommend doing what I did. I bought a Digit One call blocker and installed it on the land line. You can block entire area codes, "Out of Area", "Not Provided" etc. Most of the spam/scam calls I get show as Out of Area on my caller ID. But I have about 60 area codes blocked that seem to be the ones used most by call centers and robo callers.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts