Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if police officers ever carry and use the 10mm caliber as a sidearm. I believe the 9mm is the standard caliber but depending on the department, I would suppose they might allow other calibers to be used as sidearms.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I wonder if police officers ever carry and use the 10mm caliber as a sidearm. I believe the 9mm is the standard caliber but depending on the department, I would suppose they might allow other calibers to be used as sidearms.
The FBI used it for awhile. It was difficult round to handle for general use. They gave it up but I don’t remember what they went to. S & W cut the case down and developed the .40 cal. That’s about as much as I know on departments using the 10mm.😄

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
17,306 Posts
A few years ago, there were some agencies listed using the 10mm. I haven't seen anything official lately. Many agencies have gone to the 9mm for political correctness allowing more people to qualify and lower costs.

Reactions: DZUS

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
17,306 Posts
I haven't been able to find the website that listed what different agencies carry. I did find that some police in Chicago are allowed to carry a striker fired .380 pistol. I guess a 9mm is too much for them.

Top Ten Agencies Carry Guns

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I haven't been able to find the website that listed what different agencies carry. I did find that some police in Chicago are allowed to carry a striker fired .380 pistol. I guess a 9mm is too much for them.

Top Ten Agencies Carry Guns
Just the person you'd want backing you up at a bar fight.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I don't know any departments that authorize it, but I authorized it for myself...

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
Reactions: 4Bama and msgt/ret

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
We used S&W 1006s for awhile. It was big gun and not everyone could handle them, so we went to a .45acp Glockenspeil (gag) for the adults and 9mm for the little people.

FeeBee moved from the 10mm to the .40cal to the 9mm and will eventually move to the .380.

Reactions: WrongRecroom

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
This is a slightly outdated list, “2017” but it should answer the op’s post

N.Y. Trooper Glock 21 (45 ACP)

Alabama Glock 22/23 (.40 S&W)
Alaska Glock 22/23 (.40 S&W)
Arizona FNH FNS (.40 S&W)
Arkansas Glock 21SF (State Police), Glock 22 (S.P. Highway Patrol) (.45 ACP, .40 S&W)
California S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Colorado S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Connecticut Sig P220 (.45 ACP)
Delaware Sig P229 (.357Sig)
Florida Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
Georgia Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
Hawaii (DPS) Sig P320 (9mm)
Idaho Glock 21 (.45 ACP) or Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Illinois Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Indiana Sig P227 (.45 ACP)
Iowa S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Kansas Glock 21 (.45 ACP)
Kentucky Glock 35 (.40 S&W)
Lousiana Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Maine HK USP (.45 ACP)
Maryland Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Massachusetts S&W M&P (.45 ACP)
Michigan Glock 17 (9mm)
Minnesota Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Mississippi Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Missouri Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Montana Sig P229 (.357Sig)
Nebraska Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Nevada Sig P229 (.40 S&W)
New Hampshire S&W M&P (.45 ACP)
New Jersey Glock 19 (9mm)
New Mexico S&W M&P (.357 Sig)
New York Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
North Carolina Sig P226(.357 Sig)
North Dakota Sig P320 (9mm)
Ohio Sig P229/P226 (.40 S&W)
Oklahoma Sig P320 (9mm)
Oregon S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Pennsylvania Sig Sauer P227 (.45 ACP)
Rhode Island Sig P229 (.357Sig)
South Carolina Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
South Dakota Sig P229 (.357 Sig)
Tennessee Glock 31 (.357Sig)
Texas S&W M&P (9mm) (currently having problems–under review)
Utah Glock 22 (.40 S&W) (with approved options in 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP)
Vermont S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Virginia Sig P229RDAK (.357Sig)
Washington S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
West Virginia S&W 4566TSW (.45 ACP)
Wisconsin Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Wyoming Glock 35 (.40 S&W)

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
IIRC there are some military units that patrol where polar bears might be a problem who do get issued 10mm Glocks. Other than that, I have not heard of any other “mainstream“ military or police units using 10mm.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I wonder the same thing, as the 10 MM seems like such a capable cartridge.

At first, I didn't think much of the 10MM, but as I read up on it, it's really a .40 Cal with an extended case and (IIRC) a different primer. I also learned that in Alaska, some of the guides are using the 10 MM in place of the 44 Mag revolver bear piece. (There are even commercial 10 MM bear loads.)

I had a chance to shoot a 10 MM this summer, a Glock 20, and even with a bit of extra recoil, it seemed entirely manageable. The accuracy was surprisingly good.

I don't see why the 10 MM is not a more popular cartridge, but I'm interested in everyone here's comments.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
I wonder the same thing, as the 10 MM seems like such a capable cartridge.

At first, I didn't think much of the 10MM, but as I read up on it, it's really a .40 Cal with an extended case and (IIRC) a different primer. I also learned that in Alaska, some of the guides are using the 10 MM in place of the 44 Mag revolver bear piece. (There are even commercial 10 MM bear loads.)

I had a chance to shoot a 10 MM this summer, a Glock 20, and even with a bit of extra recoil, it seemed entirely manageable. The accuracy was surprisingly good.

I don't see why the 10 MM is not a more popular cartridge, but I'm interested in everyone here's comments.

I think one big reason 10mm is still around is the guns have gotten better! The original Bren Ten was a big gun, and had some problems. The 40 was already on scene before they got all the bugs out of the original guns. DR

·
Registered
413 Posts
Alaska State Troopers and Alaska Wildlife Troopers have the option of 10mm Glocks, but 40cal Glocks are standard.

Reactions: OldChap and Bad Bob

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
I think one big reason 10mm is still around is the guns have gotten better! The original Bren Ten was a big gun, and had some problems. The 40 was already on scene before they got all the bugs out of the original guns. DR
The Bren ten was fin, they could not get magazines.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Reactions: flintlock62
1 - 20 of 35 Posts