1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Real Title: Proctor Chief Turns to Citizens During Ammo Shortage
northlandsnewscenter.com
May 9, 2013

A nationwide ammunition shortage has police departments across the country counting their bullets. It's no different in Proctor, where the Chief says he was told he'd have to wait months, even a year to get more ammo.

"I was really surprised, let's just put it that way," said Chief Walt Wobig of the difficulty getting ammunition

......With the Proctor Police Department in need of ammunition, the Chief sent out a call asking for help. Who answered? The very people his officers are sworn to protect.

"The citizens were like, 'If you need something, we got plenty here,'" said Wobig.

A citizen and a Proctor police officer loaned their personal ammunition to the Department, a total of 1,500 rounds. The Chief says others were willing to help too.

"I had several other calls from other citizens that said, 'Hey, if you need more ammunition we have plenty,'" said Woberg, "I know that if I need ammunition I have citizens out there that will gladly come forward."

Proctor Chief Turns to Citizens During Ammo Shortage | Northland's NewsCenter: News, Weather, Sports | NBC, CBS, MyNetworkTV, and The CW for Duluth MN / Superior WI | Local News

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
wether or not the ammo is replaced, i think it is a noble and awesome show of appreciation and support.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
When one borrows a consumable item they normally replace with an equivalent un-used item. I am sure that when they (Proctor Police) do receive their ammo order they will replace whatever number they borrowed from the citizen.

How do you loan ammo? Its not like he's getting the rounds back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
How do you loan ammo? Its not like he's getting the rounds back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Did you ever borrow a cup of sugar from a neighbor? Did you later then give your neighbor a cup of sugar? It's kinda the same thing, only different.

Reactions: awoodpd13

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In most places in the US, the LEO often live in the same commuities/county that the people they serve live in (with notible exception of built up urban areas where the inverse is true). Small world.

Take care of your LEO (and also always let them know how you feel about over policing = politics gone overboard, not what the LEO is intending), and they had better take care of you.

Never trust a dumb Cop. I have met several and came out ahead. Always support a smart cop!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
In a small department like that,for practice ammo I could reload them that many rounds and have less than 100 dollars invested

·
Registered
702 Posts
My wife and I lived there for years and then moved away. She is going back there Tues to visit some old girl friends. Very nice people around there. I know the dept will return the ammo when they can get receive their order.

·
Banned
2,648 Posts
He must be in dire straits to have requested help from the comedian Al Franken. Whoops, that is one of his so called representatives.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I'd think contracting with a couple of high-quality reloaders could restock their shelves in short order, presuming they could find a couple who've got a lot of inventory of the components. If a smaller department, that might be the only way they are going to get through the shortages, if they are having big troubles acquiring factory-new stuff.

Anyone with a couple of decent progressive presses and 10K rounds of components willing to contract with the Duluth PD??

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
That is so good to hear. One of the great things about Americans, we help each other out. The police are our neighbors, its just a job. Very cool go hear and I am sure that the generous folks will be repaid in kind.

Reactions: Manderinobyebye

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
As I understand it reloaders are having as hard a time getting components as we who buy factory loaded ammo.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
As I understand it reloaders are having as hard a time getting components as we who buy factory loaded ammo.
Sure, but some reloaders are "preppers" in that regard. With, say, ~50Krds of componentry, a reloader ought to be able to cut 10K to a department. Trick would be to find a well-stocked reloader or two. And, of course, there's the inevitable lawyer aspect of having reload stuff for official work. *sigh* It's never easy.

If push comes to shove, apparently the feds have billions of rounds. Protection of our communities and states ranks pretty highly. One would think the DHS, BATFE, DFG, SS and other 'lettered' departments would cough up a few rounds, to help. Er ... perhaps not. :blink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts