Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From here in Rapid City, a good example of how not to go about it: from the Rapid City Journal

Rapid City police say it was a crime for a man to shoot at two suspects during a convenience store robbery in June, saying he acted without provocation and did not follow gun laws.
Police have requested an arrest warrant for bystander Austin Hier, of Rapid City.

Police say they requested a warrant because Hier did not witness the fleeing suspects brandish a firearm, did not see what happened inside the store, and was never threatened by the suspects as they fled the scene.
According to police Captain James Johns:

“If you point a weapon at somebody and fire it, you need to be able to clearly illustrate why that person presented a threat to you or somebody else. In this case, firing at the suspects was unwarranted."
Glad this sort of thing is rare around here. :tired:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Ok.. the article stated something to the effect of: the bystander did not see what happened inside the store, did not see anyone brandish a weapon, was not threatened by the fleeing men and SHOT AT THEM AS THE FLED.

If that turns out to be the case, I agree with the police

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ok.. the article stated something to the effect of: the bystander did not see what happened inside the store, did not see anyone brandish a weapon, was not threatened by the fleeing men and SHOT AT THEM AS THE FLED.

Completely agreed. If that is indeed the case, he should not have drawn.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I related this story several times on this forum, but I'll do it again for anyone who missed it.

About 10 years ago the police were summoned to a bank robbery in Central Florida. The responding officers saw a black man with a gun running down the street and ordered him to drop his weapon. He didn't immediately comply and they shot and killed him.

It turned out that the black man was a detective from a neighboring jurisdiction who had been in the bank and witnessed the robbery and he was in pursuit of the bad guys.

Another incident - also from central Florida - Witnesses saw several men grab a woman off the street and force her into a van. Police were in the area and came pretty close to shooting the suspects. They were all filming "street art" to post on the internet.

I hesitate to get involved in anything unless I am really sure of the circumstances.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Getting involved without knowing the complete circumstances doesn't seem like he used good judgment. Maybe I am wrong but I think some people that carry are almost too quick to draw their gun. I know of one person that gives me that feeling, I don't even like being around him and have distanced myself from him. I am afraid he will drag me into a situation I don't want to be in.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
They don't.. is says they "requested" charges..
Still not their job. Their job is to present the evidence, not put their finger on the scale.

Also, can you imagine how the story would have been written if one of their off duty officers had done the same thing?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Maybe, but since when does LE micromanage the DA's office?
It is likely the DA's office requested that the Police Department make a recommendation based upon their immediate post-event investigation. This is not at all unusual. It is, in fact, the job of a law enforcement agency to investigate such shootings and request charges be brought in accordance with the State law of the jurisdiction concerned. What the DA's Office does with that request is another matter. That said, the police in this country make arrests on probable cause, not at the pleasure of, or with the pre-approval of, any DA. The DA may choose not to prosecute a particular arrestee for any number of reasons, all of which are subject to public review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I related this story several times on this forum, but I'll do it again for anyone who missed it.

About 10 years ago the police were summoned to a bank robbery in Central Florida. The responding officers saw a black man with a gun running down the street and ordered him to drop his weapon. He didn't immediately comply and they shot and killed him.

It turned out that the black man was a detective from a neighboring jurisdiction who had been in the bank and witnessed the robbery and he was in pursuit of the bad guys.

Another incident - also from central Florida - Witnesses saw several men grab a woman off the street and force her into a van. Police were in the area and came pretty close to shooting the suspects. They were all filming "street art" to post on the internet.

I hesitate to get involved in anything unless I am really sure of the circumstances.

The notion of someone firing at suspects when (apparently) there was no imminent threat serves as a very good, bad example of what not to do (especially for those new to concealed carry!)

One of the major reasons that I choose to never do a "fast draw", even in practice, is that I want at least a moment or two to assess the level of threat. And, while I want to avoid indecision, at the same time, I want to be danged sure before presenting a piece.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It is likely the DA's office requested that the Police Department make a recommendation based upon their immediate post-event investigation. This is not at all unusual. It is, in fact, the job of a law enforcement agency to investigate such shootings and request charges be brought in accordance with the State law of the jurisdiction concerned. What the DA's Office does with that request is another matter. That said, the police in this country make arrests on probable cause, not at the pleasure of, or with the pre-approval of, any DA. The DA may choose not to prosecute a particular arrestee for any number of reasons, all of which are subject to public review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well... I was going to say something a lot like that.

I think maybe you said it quicker and better....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Still not their job. Their job is to present the evidence, not put their finger on the scale.

Also, can you imagine how the story would have been written if one of their off duty officers had done the same thing?

Point taken.. Makes sense..

·
Registered
12,893 Posts

Their job is to present the case to the DA and request prosecution if they find a violation of law. The DA will make the decision to prosecute or not.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

I agree as well.

·
Registered
712 Posts
As far as I am concerned the point of this post is not who requested that charges be filed. Personally I don't care. If the incident occurred as the story states. It's a bad shooting! The use of deadly force is dictated by fear of iminite bodily harm. To oneself, loved ones, or in certain instances a stranger. A firearm dose not come with a red cape, a Tshirt, and a permit to go out and save the world from all evil doers. What if, while Rambo is popping of rounds at a fleeing bg he hits and kills some child or other innocent bystanders. I say prosecute the idiot to the fullest. I'm sure at some point there was statement that probably went something like "da I thought I was helping". That's the problem he didn't think. It's idiots like this that give every responsible person who owns a weapon for self defence a potential bad name. I for one, have little tolerance, for knuckleheads like this

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I am not a cop, it is not my job to enforce the law. Be a good witness if lives aren't in danger. That is my job...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts