Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I often wondered that if I had to go to war now and could pick my own sidearm, which would it be. Thought I would ask others to make their own choices so we can see what would be the popular gun out of a small sample of guns that are often mentioned as possible military issued guns. So vote and give your reason in a reply to this post. I have seen individual posts about which gun should be our official military sidearm but do not recall a national poll.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Out of the choices posted I chose the Glock 17. Normally I would have chosen a Glock 21, but that not being an option I went with another favorite of mine. As I get older though, I am looking at the G17 in a different light. Time will catch all of us, sooner or later, and recoil can become an issue for some.

Reactions: dben002

·
Registered
892 Posts
I also went with the G17.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
What I carry now have have used in the army---Sig P228

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I choose the HK45. This gun has been proven in battle, and if that's where I'm heading I want a .45 on my hip.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
None of the above - five-seven all the way. I want to at least have a chance to get through the enemy's body armor.

Reactions: Hodad

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
Mine would be the gl17 so far as the choices.I'm more use to the glock,more than the others.That said,the one i would use,that wasn't on it,is the full size M&P 40,i bought a few yrs back.Nothing wrong with the one's on the list,as far as i know.I've never shot an HK thou.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Glock 17 for magazine capacity and reliability and shootibility, I would actually prefer a glock 21 but was not given that choice.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,798 Posts
FNH FNX-45 Tactical.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Real combat a Colt 45. It works don't fix it.

·
Super Moderator
22,056 Posts
I often wondered that if I had to go to war now and could pick my own sidearm, which would it be. Thought I would ask others to make their own choices so we can see what would be the popular gun out of a small sample of guns that are often mentioned as possible military issued guns. So vote and give your reason in a reply to this post. I have seen individual posts about which gun should be our official military sidearm but do not recall a national poll, so here it is.

Vote now here
Why didn't you just do the poll here at DC?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I can't believe the Beretta M9 is ahead of the M&P9...
I can definitely believe that 25 year combat veteran utilized by several generations of recent service members is beating the new kid on the block. Exactly how is the M&P9 superior to the M9?

Aluminum vs Polymer Frame? M9 wins!
DA/SA Hammer vs Striker? M9 wins!
Real Safety vs No Safety? M9 wins!

I carried an M9 in the Army and found it to be a superior weapons platform for the following reasons:

- Gun can be carried with safety on or off as the situation dictates. Should we remove the manual safety from the M4 as well?
- Long DA trigger passes the chap stick test and the jacket cinch cord slider test. The striker trigger does not.
- Light SA trigger allows for accurate follow-up and long distance shots as necessary.
- Mass of metal frame improves stability of aim and recoil response.

The only thing the M&P 9 has going for it in my book is that they are lower cost, which I feel translates to CHEAP. :hand1:

Much the same could be said about the G17. I am sure many disagree... :scratchchin:

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.