Defensive Carry banner

What type of SD knife blade edge do you prefer?

• Smooth blade

Votes: 91 54.2%
  • Fully serrated blade

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Partially serrated, partial smooth blade

Votes: 75 44.6%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll try to post a poll for the 1st time, what type of blade edge do you prefer?

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I use my blades for daily task as well as tactical purposes so I prefer smooth... unlike serrated, I can at least resharpen a smooth blade. :wink:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I chose the half and half. I have a couple knifes like that and find them to be very versatile.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Plain edges only for me. A serrated edge won't do anything a good, sharp plain edge won't, and serrated edges are a pain to sharpen.

I really hate combo edges. They're the worst of both worlds, IMO.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Disenfranchised again; you forgot a poll choice for those us us who carry a knife of each type. I prefer my conventional edges conventional, and my serrated edges serrated. My toolbox includes both standard and Phillips screwdrivers, and both pliers and wrenches. Why try to carry one knife to do everything?

That being said, sometimes I favor a knife that is not available fully serrated, and must settle for a partial/combo edge.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I vote smooth, easier for me to sharpen

·
Registered
545 Posts
Carry knives:
For SD only - Smooth only,
For SD and Utility - Smooth and Serrated,
Don't have a use for Serrated only.

Kitchen knives are another story...

Bobo

·
Registered
275 Posts
I prefer smooth edged blades myself. Serrated blades have limited use and are more difficult to sharpen. I love my carry knives (both manual and automatic).

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I checked serrated, but like both smooth and serrated...depends upon need. My Kershaws are all smooth, but my Ka Bar is half and half.:22a:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry Rexter, can't please everyone.:frown: however I did say self defense knife.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Always chose smooth and keep them sharp!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use my blades for daily task as well as tactical purposes so I prefer smooth... unlike serrated, I can at least resharpen a smooth blade. :wink:
I stock a sharpener for serrated blades, it looks like a round file and had diamonds impregnated in it. You just use it like a file, easy.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Smooth...Spyderco Endura...

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Smooth, but use both.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kabar seems to be the best I've used so far with a partially serated edge. Great for Vehicle accidents when the seat belt can't be released by from the buckle. Life saving tool.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Plain is much easier to take care of. The serrated edge just seems to catch on whatever I'm trying to cut, and it makes for a jagged slice (or tear).

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Smooth. I don't care for a serrated edge at all....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts