Defensive Carry banner

What method(s) of carry do you regularly use?

• Inside the waist band (IWB)

Votes: 90 69.8%
  • Outside the waist band (OWB)

Votes: 65 50.4%
  • Below the waist band (Smart Carry or similar)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Above the waist band (Belly band worn above waist level)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Shoulder holster

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • Pocket holster

Votes: 39 30.2%
  • Ankle carry

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Off body (Purse or pack)

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 1 0.8%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A similar poll like this may have been done in the past, but I could not find it, so please excuse this if there was. Even if one was done, I know that people's preferences do change, so an update can't hurt.

Since I started carrying, I've learned to dress around the gun, but have also learned that there is no one method of carry for every mode of dress or situation. I started out OWB, but found there were times when other methods were convenient/practical, such as ankle carry while driving. I also pocket carry, usually a couple of times a week, and sometimes even carry off body.

So, I thought it would be interesting to see how the numbers rack up for different modes of carry. I'm pretty sure IWB is the preferred method for most, but the numbers should be interesting. This is a multiple choice poll, so feel free to select ALL of the methods you use to carry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I carry IWB @ 4-5 o'clock.

I wouldn't mind carrying OWB, but down here in hot & humid S. Florida, it's jeans & T-shirt weather year round.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Pocket carry during week. IWB weekends. The percentage numbers are a little off on poll.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
IWB single stack polys in T shirt weather, OWB larger pistols when I'm wearing more clothing.
Both at 3:30.
I do occasionally pocket carry in a jacket, but not enough that I checked it.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I'll carry outside the waistband when I'm wearing a shirt or jacket that will cover it. Otherwise I carry IWB.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Carry OWB whenever I can conceal it & that's by far, for a couple of different reasons, my preferred method. Otherwise it's IWB

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention that sometimes I wear a Kangaroo Carry holster (which I did check off in the poll) and once in a while, I wear a 5.11 holster shirt under a tucked shirt, which I should have checked as "other."

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
My primary carry is in a pocket. It just works best for me while at work. Since I work 6 day a week my pocket guns get the nod most of the time. I sometimes also off body carry in a EDC bag but only to supplement the pocket gun. I also IWB and OWB when I'm not at work.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I've got two really nice leather owb holsters . One from Nelson Holsters one from Black hills Leather but I much prefer an old IWB rig I have used for 12 years . carry position is from 3:30 to 3:00 depending on grip length and its good for long days driving or general carry needs .

·
Registered
714 Posts
I carry AIWB exclusively.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I wish I could use my shoulder holster all of the time, but when dress or weather dictate, I will go OWB, then IWB, and finally pocket. I try to use my shoulder holster as often as possible and whenever possible.

·
Registered
475 Posts
IWB about 4. Feel a bit more comfortable with a two tab holster like the SHTF/Black Arch or StealthGear. Currently carrying Walther PPQ with Black Arch Ace 1, Gen 2. One tab from Raw Dog is a one tab holster I do like and use occasionally. For OWB--mostly for training--I like Vedder Quick Draw OWB--I have one for Sig 320C and M11-A1, plan to get one for PPQ and HK VP9. For competition it is OWB Classic from Blade Tech. I wear OWB a bit more forward--2:30 or 3.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Work requires slacks and a tucked in polo shirt, so pocket carry the majority of the time. Usually a 638, sometimes a MP Bodyguard. OWB is a nice change when not working. A G19 or more likely a k-frame.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
With a smaller pistol (PPS or Sig 938,) I carry OWB. Even an untucked polo usually conceals no problem. The actual difference in concealability, at least with these guns, between OWB vs IWB is actually pretty small. Thus I prefer the comfort and speed of OWB carry. For IWB carriers, try practicing your draw to fire times (use your concealment garment) and see the difference between that and OWB carry.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With a smaller pistol (PPS or Sig 938,) I carry OWB. Even an untucked polo usually conceals no problem. The actual difference in concealability, at least with these guns, between OWB vs IWB is actually pretty small. Thus I prefer the comfort and speed of OWB carry. For IWB carriers, try practicing your draw to fire times (use your concealment garment) and see the difference between that and OWB carry.
I tried carrying my Glocks IWB twice with two different quality holsters (Milt Sparks and Comp-Tac) and just could not make it work comfortably, with a high quality belt in both cases. I've carried primarily OWB since and never had a problem with comfort or concealing anything from a G26 up to a G17 and Commander size 1911. Pocket carry also works well for me, as does ankle carry (when wearing duty boots). I have been able to carry my Sig P938 single stack in a Remora holster on occasion.

·
Registered
323 Posts
mostly it is iwb, sometimes owb. and playing around with this special ham radio carry shoulder pack. not easy to just pull off the body as it also has a belly band on it.
not as quick access but allows carry in a stealth way.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mostly it is iwb, sometimes owb. and playing around with this special ham radio carry shoulder pack. not easy to just pull off the body as it also has a belly band on it.
not as quick access but allows carry in a stealth way..
Got any photos?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Lately, I have been carrying a Kahr CT9 in an Azula OWB. Before that, I was most often carrying a Remington R1 Enhanced 1911 in a Milt Sparks IWB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
In order of frequency.
Pocket, shoulder, owb.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts