Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a new Taurus 27/7 Pro 9mm after ringing out a rental gun at a local gun shop. I am very pleased with the performance and the price. My question is, this is my first (hopefully not my last)polymer frame gun and I am wondering what cleaning products to use that will not adversely affect the frame. The manual did not include any specific information.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
It can stand up to probably anything. I armorer strip my Glock down and use Wisk, very hot water and a GP brush. I think the only bad thing would be to use something like oven cleaner.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
I agree. Good polymers are impervious to almost everything. I'd say Simple Green. I would stay away from corrosive chemicals, or petroleum based products, and fire. Congrats on your first polymer frame pistol!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Congrats! All three of my handguns I own are polymer framed!

·
Administrator
143,470 Posts
There are not too many easily available solvents that melt or even damage polymer pistol frames.
Methylene Chloride paint stripper will etch it.
Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) will etch it.
I'm sure that there are some other odd exotic solvents that will attack it but, you would have a hard time finding them on any hardware shelf.
Other than that you're pretty safe.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
There are not too many easily available solvents that melt or even damage polymer pistol frames.
Methylene Chloride paint stripper will etch it.
Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) will etch it.
I'm sure that there are some other odd exotic solvents that will attack it but, you would have a hard time finding them on any hardware shelf.
Other than that you're pretty safe.
How about good Ole WD-40 ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
...My question is, this is my first (hopefully not my last)polymer frame gun and I am wondering what cleaning products to use that will not adversely affect the frame.
I would strongly recommend you only use cleaners and lubricants that specify they are safe for Polymer framed guns. Gun Scrubber, for example, comes in a Polymer Safe formula but the standard product actually etched my step son's Ruger.

·
Banned
150 Posts
What about paint thinner, kerosene, turpentine, solvents in general? I know I've had that stuff eat up plastics pretty good, but never tried it on a polymer framed pistol.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
All three of my handguns I own are polymer framed!
Sounds like you have a walking, talking reason to go out and buy a steel gun, if, of course, you are one of those that actually needs a reason to buy a gun.

·
Administrator
143,470 Posts
All of the CLP type lubes are safe for polymer frames.

Break-Free - Firepower10 (FP-10) - WeaponShield are fine.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The two best products to clean a polymer frame in my experience are Dawn dish soap and armorall automotive dash wipes. They make my glock frame look like new.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Will CLP BreakFree harm handgun polymer?

What will "shine" it up a bit?
CLP is fine, it's so safe that it's edible :nono:. When the gun is dry rub Black Kiwi Parade Gloss polish ( WalMart has it) and spin it off with a Dremel and a polishing wheel.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
For my Glocks (and AK's) I clean with brake-cleaner ($1-something a can) and lube with lithium grease ($3 or $4 a tub). Zero problems and cheaper than specific "gun cleaning" stuff.

I leave the expensive gun cleaning stuff for my "pretty" guns.

·
Registered
598 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't use anything that has acetone in it. Some folks use non-chorinated break cleaner to save money on gun-specific polymer-safe cleaners (gun scrubber). I have used ordinary CLP for years with no ill effects on a number of poly pistols.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts