Defensive Carry banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,282 Posts
Is it safe to leave a polymer frame that is painted with rustoleum in paint thinner over night?
That is a joke, right?

Or do you have blond hair?

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I use G96 aerosol gun treatment to clean all of my guns. I made a point to contact them regarding polymer frames and they said their cleaner was safe for all polymer, steel and aluminum frames.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've been using Hoppes #9 for all the metal parts. some gets on the polymer and doesn't seem to have any ill effects. a little wipe down with CLP after i've thrown a few drops of Hoppes gun oil on the slide and barrel and wipe down with a micro fiber cloth. I thought I read somewhere Hoppes #9 wasn't the best thing for polymer so I try to keep it on the steel parts only. CLP makes it look perty.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
What about paint thinner, kerosene, turpentine, solvents in general? I know I've had that stuff eat up plastics pretty good, but never tried it on a polymer framed pistol.
Brings back a funny memory....
When I was in college, back in the 70's, I worked as property master for a couple of plays during my year in theater class.
One of the plays involved some prop pistols...SAA types, which were to be used in a big shoot out scene. They had purchased a few cheap, low end .22 cal single action pistols which were to be loaded with blanks for the performances. Well, the night before the show opened, after the final dress rehearsal, and this time with the guns firing the blanks, I took them back to the shop to clean them, thinking it would be a quick and easy job. They were so caked up with residue that I decided to soak them overnight in paint thinner, which was the only thing available at the theater shop. Next day I came in to clean them up and prep for opening night and found the plastic grips had dissolved about 50% into mush. With no time to re grip, and really no clue to where I might find grips ( this was long before internet made things like that so easy ) I had to wrap them in electrical tape, which ended up staying on the guns for the entire run of the show.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Is it safe to leave a polymer frame that is painted with rustoleum in paint thinner over night?
I am a simple soul. I use products that are for their designated purpose. That way I don't get in trouble as often as I would otherwise. I'm sure those recommending other products mean and know well and it works for them.

I can't think of any reason I'd leave one of my glocks or Rugers or any gun in rustoleum overnight unless it was a throwaway and you just wanted to mess around with it. I use CLP or frog lube (it's expensive but I like the smell and it works. Besides the frogs like it). Not together :twak:. CLP and frog lube don't play well together. Unless your gun is incredibly dirty there is no need for overnight soaking. And I mean INCREDIBLY DIRTY. I've shot over a thousand rounds in a week when I did not clean my gun (Glock 23) because I was an idiot and didn't take cleaning stuff to a training class. Standard cleaning job made it gleam inside and out. I did let the solvent soak for several minutes while I scrubbed other parts but I was done in less than half an hour. Oh, and the gun ran perfectly throughout the torture test.

·
Registered
34,726 Posts
Welcome, Got MEaGun. This thread is older than I am--and that's saying a lot! Still, it current info for those who are jumping into the gun ownership realm.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
For a detail stripped polymer frame I use hot water and simple green. For in-between cleaning just non-chlorinated brake cleaner then 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil/ 30 w Mobil 1 home brew on all metal parts. Just my .02 worth! :D

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
813 Posts
The only thing I have found to be detrimental to polymer framed guns is not shooting them enough. The accuracy will degrade for some reason if you do that. Go figure!

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Last post before the "re-boot" really get's to me. Those here, whom have been here, catch my drift. RIP

21 - 34 of 34 Posts