Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've carried a gun everyday for well over 26 years and still do , usually I carry a full size or a gun with a full size grip but shorter slide ( I usually carry 1911s or a commander) . I have carried subcompacts but always find myself putting a extension for my pinky on it , I have short fat fingers . When putting on the extension it negates the idea of carrying a sub compact in my way of thinking and I can carry and conceal the full size grip fine without it being noticed . I've come to the realization that I like the looks of a sub compact but prefer a full size for handling and the extra capacity which I'll probably never need but is nice to have . Thanks for reading my ramblings .

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Well, I would say if one didn't ponder their carry gun they would be unlike all the rest of us. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years pondering my carry guns only to return to the gun I first bought 26 years ago. I learned a lot along the way though about both myself and my carry choices.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Its been said thousands of times, carry what works best for you and you shoot well. I'd rather have a derriger that I can hit X's all day with than the latest, greatest, Block with 20+ rounds that I can't hit the floor with. Personally, I find that I carry single stacks well in hybrid IWB holsters with duel clips. My current EDC is my P239 in 357Sig with 8+1. When I carry FS its either my P99AS in 9 or my P226 in 357Sig, again both IWB in hybrid holsters.

·
Registered
18,971 Posts
I have 3 that I keep coming back to and carry consistently. A 1911, a Glock 26 ( without a pinky extension), and a j frame 38 spl snubby.
Eventually, you will find what works for you, and don’t be surprised if the one gun fits all purposes, doesn’t.

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
Well, I would say if one didn't ponder their carry gun they would be unlike all the rest of us. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years pondering my carry guns only to return to the gun I first bought 26 years ago. I learned a lot along the way though about both myself and my carry choices.
Funny, I too now carry the gun I started out with all those years ago. Well close, it is a j frame, just a different model.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I appreciate duty-gun-length grips, non-rounded, for another reason: stability. My right hand, especially, has not aged well. A grip that extends to the “heel bone” of my right hand, stabilizes the weapon better, which spares my wrist and the base joint of my thumb, from much of the recoil, of each shot.

My fingers are skinny, so I can find room, on many sub-compact pistols, for my middle, ring, and little fingers, but my hands are long, so it takes a long grip to reach all the way to the heel of my hand.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
I appreciate duty-gun-length grips, non-rounded, for another reason: stability. My right hand, especially, has not aged well. A grip that extends to the “heel bone” of my right hand, stabilizes the weapon better, which spares my wrist and the base joint of my thumb, from much of the recoil, of each shot.

My fingers are skinny, so I can find room, on many sub-compact pistols, for my middle, ring, and little fingers, but my hands are long, so it takes a long grip to reach all the way to the heel of my hand.
As Paul Harrell says - "this gun just fits my hand well". I know people that actually shoot Glocks well :oops:

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
As Paul Harrell says - "this gun just fits my hand well". I know people that actually shoot Glocks well :oops:
"Fit" is such a strange phenomenon it seems. I have had guns that felt great in my hand in the store like a custom made chair that I could not shoot well and others, like my Glock 21sf that feel somewhere near terrible in hand that I shoot as well or even better than a nice 1911. What is up with that?

The G21sf is a total mystery to me as I have owned other Glocks that all went down the road.

Another oddity to me is my j frame grips. I have tried at least 10 different j frame grips and grip adapters over the years. You know what feels the worst yet, works the best? The dang skinny little magna style with no adapter. They draw faster and more positive and as long as I have a crush grip ,like I should have, they shoot great. They don't twist or bang my middle finger either and they allow me to adjust my grip on the way to the target if my initial grasp on the draw is less than ideal.
Same with my K frame. Maybe those gun designers actually knew what they were doing?

I know "fit" needs to include shooting first and "feel" second.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
"Fit" is such a strange phenomenon it seems. I have had guns that felt great in my hand in the store like a custom made chair that I could not shoot well and others, like my Glock 21sf that feel somewhere near terrible in hand that I shoot as well or even better than a nice 1911. What is up with that?

The G21sf is a total mystery to me as I have owned other Glocks that all went down the road.

Another oddity to me is my j frame grips. I have tried at least 10 different j frame grips and grip adapters over the years. You know what feels the worst yet, works the best? The dang skinny little magna style with no adapter. They draw faster and more positive and as long as I have a crush grip ,like I should have, they shoot great. They don't twist or bang my middle finger either and they allow me to adjust my grip on the way to the target if my initial grasp on the draw is less than ideal.
Same with my K frame. Maybe those gun designers actually knew what they were doing?

I know "fit" needs to include shooting first and "feel" second.
TO me fit is that it fits while I'm shooting. Glocks don't feel weird in the store but I can't hit the side of a bar with one, ever. I shot competition back in the stone age when they first rolled the things out in the US and got many offers from the local Glock folks (lived 3-5 miles from their factory in GA) but just couldn't shoot the things well. Not opposed to polymer either (or as some wits say "tupperware") as I shoot a Walther P99AS about as well as anything (with the possible exception of my Browning HP). Bottom line for me is, can you reliably shoot the weapon well enough to consistently hit what you were trying to hit. If yes, great. If no, get rid of it no matter how "great" a weapon it is. YMMV.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
17,306 Posts
Everyone is built different and likes different things. I was at the LGS yesterday and they unboxed a new Taurus .22LR pistol. The owner and another guy were going on and on about how great it felt and how great it fit. I picked it up and it felt like a lightweight very small toy gun to me. I couldn't wait to put it down.

I carry a 5" government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm most of the time because it fits me and feels right for me. I am accurate shooting them with the longer sight radius and the great single-action triggers.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I am getting to be an old man. I was issued a Colt .45 1911 in '71 and almost 50 years later, I am still using a 1911 - I have tried other guns, but I keep coming back to my 1911's. Different barrel lengths, but almost always a 1911. It fits me best, feels best, and shoots as well as anything I own. It is like an old friend that I can always count on.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I like at least a Glock 19/23 size grip or a regular length 1911 grip.
Glock 30SF with cut short frame / oversize mag base gap/juncture is agitating by comparison.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
It's interesting how different guns "fit" and work with different people. A good "fit" doesn't even necessarily mean you will shoot the gun well or like it, either. I got a CZ Rami some years ago because I picked it up and if fit me so perfectly, pointed like an extension of me, and it looked really good. Carried it for a while, but never did get to like it as I thought I would. Sometimes, only time and experience will tell you.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If you have a gun that is the size and has the ergonomics that suite you well, but for whatever reason you don't carry it everyday, then you have the wrong carry gun. My standard: a gun that is reliable, that I'm competent with, but perhaps the not the most accurate gun in the safe, and-most importantly-one that I'll carry every single day. Realizing that there may be a several guns that fit this standard for a particular individual, other criteria can narrow the field of candidates.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Funny, I too now carry the gun I started out with all those years ago. Well close, it is a j frame, just a different model.
Make that one more. Except when I'm bicycling, I'm back to wearing my 586 6" that I bought in '84. Just can't get over my first love.

Reactions: ctr

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
Make that one more. Except when I'm bicycling, I'm back to wearing my 586 6" that I bought in '84. Just can't get over my first love.
Revolvers from that error are some of the best S&W ever produced. I can say the M10 and 64 are just about back to those standards. The M10 definitely. Wish they would bring back the M65.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Revolvers from that error are some of the best S&W ever produced. I can say the M10 and 64 are just about back to those standards. The M10 definitely. Wish they would bring back the M65.
That M65 is a beauty, can't believe they discontinued it. I'll bet they do bring it back. I see Colt brought back the Python and Anaconda

Reactions: ctr

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Reliable, accurate, and you can conceal it and carry it every day? Why fix what ain't broke? I'd always carry the largest capacity firearm I can carry every day and conceal well. Today's society? Capacity may become much more important.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
As the ancient Greek wisdom had it: "Know Thyself"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts