Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine of 15+yrs was getting all the paper work ready and class setup for his CHL when just the other night (to my disappointment) got arrested for DWI. UUGH what a dumb :buttkick:.

So now he has to fork over several grand for a lawyer and have all this sorted out.

My question is...does this screw with his ability to get a CHL?

I think it would, but not sure....Kinda makes me second guess his responsibility for having such a permit. I WAS going to pitch in with him for a handgun....but now I'm just upset with his poor choice of behavior I 'm not sure I want to contribute....I'm kinda put out with him and I let him know it too:rant:.

Even before I got my CHL I stopped all that kind of nonsense. I never drink and drive...heck I don't like drinking any kind of drink..don't like to eat..and really hate talking on the phone....I just like to drive and get where I'm going....mainly cause I drive a standard.

I'd get harassed jokingly by my buddies on how "uptight"
"paranoid" etc etc. I've gotten since I've have picked up the seriousness in CC...you know the backing off the drinks (beers) to no almost nothing (like one beer heh) when out while carrying or had the gun in the car, stopped with the quick snippy mouth to strangers, eased up on the driving...just practicing avoidance to confrontations and other things that come along with carrying a firearm. You know, practicing the law abiding and "model citizen" thingy.... to me now that's more a kick than drinking and such. Just kinda wish they get that way....maybe they will learn through my example.....ahahahah don't think so.

Uugh just kinda pissed me off that he pulled such a shananigun :twak:.

Anyhoo so...Does this ruin his chance to get a CHL in TX?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would almost certainly say yes, this will screw up his CCW. I don't know Texas law, but in Nevada you can't have one within the past 5 years. And if you get a DUI after you already have the permit you can kiss it goodbye for 5 years from that day.

backing off the drinks (beers) to no almost nothing (like one beer heh) when out while carrying or had the gun in the car, stopped with the quick snippy mouth to strangers, eased up on the driving...just practicing avoidance to confrontations and other things that come along with carrying a firearm. You know, practicing the law abiding and "model citizen" thingy....
Funny, that was one of the side effects of getting the CCW for me too. Actually a very good thing.

·
Registered
991 Posts
It can't help him, that's for sure.

Some sheriffs in shall issue states have digression as to whether or not to issue. Here in Colo, If you are denied, you have the right to a hearing but I'm guessing that a recent DUI [here] would be grounds for denial.

The sheriffs want to know that you recognize & obey all the laws, not just the ones about CCW.

If you're not responsible enough to not drink & drive, what does that say about how responsible you would be carrying a gun?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Has he already been convicted? His lawyer might be able to work something out with the LEO that arrested him. If he has been convicted, he can appeal and many states allow administrative hearings by the MVD which will also have a bearing on his case. Hopefully his lawyer specializes in DWI law.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
If It's a class A or B misedemeanor which I'm sure it is and IIRC you can't carry a CHL for 5 years after a DUI conviction,

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
If you are willing to do stupid things with a 3,000 pound weapon, why would you think they are going to let you carry a 35 oz. weapon?

I think he may have a very looooooong wait ahead...:yup:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
In my mind if one is not responsible and disciplined enough to not drink and drive, he is not responsible enough for a CHL.
If I remember correctly he could not get one in NM.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
he can't even apply right now

Texas Government Code
Sec. 411.172. ELIGIBILITY. (a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:
(4) is not charged with the commission of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or of a felony under an information or indictment;
[first DWI offense is class B]

if he's not convicted then he might be ok

if he's convicted it will be a five year wait:
(8) has not, in the five years preceding the date of application, been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code;

does he drink a lot? he can be denied for being a chemically dependent person also

Has he already been convicted? His lawyer might be able to work something out with the LEO that arrested him.
not here

If he has been convicted, he can appeal and many states allow administrative hearings by the MVD which will also have a bearing on his case. Hopefully his lawyer specializes in DWI law.
if he gets convicted he can appeal just like any other trial, but the motor vehicle folks here in Texas is the DPS and they won't have a bearing on a DWI trial or appeal; unless he can successfully appeal a DWI conviction--no CHL

·
Registered
835 Posts
that you cannot get the license for 5 years after DWI in texas. :twak:
Correct. However, because it is a misdemeanor, he is not prohibited from carrying his firearm in his automobile. It is unofficial opinion that most CHL permittees in Texas do not carry beyond their automobiles anyway.

·
Registered
77 Posts
"does he drink a lot? he can be denied for being a chemically dependent person also"
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
How can they determine if a person drinks a lot without documentation?
Having 2 beers a day is "A LOT" to a morman.

·
Banned
464 Posts
If you are willing to do stupid things with a 3,000 pound weapon, why would you think they are going to let you carry a 35 oz. weapon?

I think he may have a very looooooong wait ahead...:yup:
I agree.

I think that if you are ticketed for speeding you should lose your CCW. Or a parking ticket because that is like leaving your 3,000 pound weapon lying around in an unsafe location.

·
Banned
464 Posts
"does he drink a lot? he can be denied for being a chemically dependent person also"
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
But it is a lite snack to a college student.:tongue:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Even if he gets adjudicated probation, he would not be eligible... He would have to get his record expunged, in order to be eligible, for the next 5 years after the end of his probation period...

His conviction does not stop him from being able to carry in his car...

·
Registered
123 Posts
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVVVVVV
Being chemically dependant has little to do with drinking "a lot". If a person drinks one beer a day, and is habitual about it, then they're probably chemically dependant on that beer.

Oh, and Mormon is spelled with an "o". ;)

Daryl

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think that if you are ticketed for speeding you should lose your CCW. Or a parking ticket because that is like leaving your 3,000 pound weapon lying around in an unsafe location.
Anyone else agree, or think that goes too far?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts