Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got my new .45 Shield home last night. I was going to take it out today to see how it performs. When I tried to remove the barrel during the field strip process, it seemed like the slide was too narrow for the barrel to fit through. I checked the manual and it showed a diagram of someone just pulling it straight out. I finally removed it by pushing the barrel forward and pulling up on it at the same time. Is this normal with the new Shield. 45 or is it a concern? Btw no range time yet until I know what is going on.

·
Premium Member
36,787 Posts
The barrel won't go into the slide, or is just tight coming out?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The barrel won't go into the slide, or is just tight coming out?
Both, it won't come out unless I push the barrel forward and pull up on it at the same time, it is still tight but I can remove it. Most barrels are easy to remove, this one feels like it rubs against the slide when I remove or install it.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Hey guys, I got my new .45 Shield home last night. I was going to take it out today to see how it performs. When I tried to remove the barrel during the field strip process, it seemed like the slide was too narrow for the barrel to fit through. I checked the manual and it showed a diagram of someone just pulling it straight out. I finally removed it by pushing the barrel forward and pulling up on it at the same time. Is this normal with the new Shield. 45 or is it a concern? Btw no range time yet until I know what is going on.
Yes, what you describe is normal and normal for a number of pistols similar in design. Most pistols with 3" to 3.5" barrels you should not need to push forward and usually cannot but some jockeying is needed. Never force the barrel when removing. Always remove the guide rod first and then lift the barrel out on about a 45 degree angle while pulling it away from the muzzle end of the slide.

Reverse the operation to reassemble. You will normally and for some guns must to mount the slide onto the frame with the slide upside down (rails facing up) so that the guide rod stays positioned correctly on the barrel ledge.

·
Premium Member
36,787 Posts
Both, it won't come out unless I push the barrel forward and pull up on it at the same time, it is still tight but I can remove it. Most barrels are easy to remove, this one feels like it rubs against the slide when I remove or install it.
Does the barrel move freely back and forth in the slide with the return spring assembly removed?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the barrel move freely back and forth in the slide with the return spring assembly removed?
I always remove the recoil spring before barrel. Everything seems to be normal except removing the barrel from the slide. It moves freely back and forward.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Is it even possible to remove the barrel without removing the recoil spring on an M&P? Seems like you have to remove it due to how it sits against the base of the barrel where the rounds feed.

·
Premium Member
36,787 Posts
I always remove the recoil spring before barrel. Everything seems to be normal except removing the barrel from the slide. It moves freely back and forward.
That was my question. That said, I doubt there is a problem with the fit.

·
Premium Member
36,787 Posts
Is it even possible to remove the barrel without removing the recoil spring on an M&P? Seems like you have to remove it due to how it sits against the base of the barrel where the rounds feed.
No, and yes. Sorry my question wasn't easier to understand.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
It should be lifted out first without much if any effort. Sometimes the spring is under some tension. Sometimes it will be almost loose. Every new pistol will be once fired. It is possible for some powder residue to be holding the barrel in tighter than normal. As far as removing the barrel, it should come out easily. you might try putting a drop of oil near the muzzle. If it appears to be stuck at the breech end of the barrel you could put a coupe drops of oil there too but that is not a normal lubrication point.

I'm attaching the Shield manual in case you don't have one. Study page 24-25.

https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/si...als/M&P_Shield_All_09-30-16_441310000_web.pdf

Reactions: AmmoFan01
1 - 11 of 11 Posts