Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone,
Been a while since I last posted anything as life has thrown me a few curve balls LOL. Anyway, been looking to find a new edc pistol. Stopped at Cabelas to look around. I already own a Springfeild 1911 which I love but due to health issues its kinda hard to carry all day due to weight, lenght, ect. I found a Springfeild EMP-4 in 9mm.I have seen it recently in some gun magazines and it has a very good reviews from what I have read. I was wondering if anybody has one and could maybe provide some pros/cons or any other info in regards to this pistol. Looks awesome, feels great in hand,10+1 capicity which is also good. It comes with a roughly $1200 price tag though. Any info from someone who has one would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Tom

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
If your looking to get away from your Springfield 1911 because of weight I don't think the EMP4 is that much better. If your really dedicated to the 1911 platform then that's one thing but I personally thing the EMP4 is a LOT of gun to lug around for only 10+1 capacity. You could go with a Glock 19 or anything in that "compact" realm and get quite a bit more capacity. Or go with a G26 or any other sub compact to get the same capacity and less weight.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The EMP is a nice gun but as far as I'm concerned for $1200 they can keep it. If you like the 1911 format take a look at the Sig 938 which you can buy for half the price of the emp, it is a 9 mm and it is an all metal gun that weighs much less than the emp and can be carried in your pocket with ease. I have one and it has been 100% reliable with over 700 rounds through it.
I'm certain there are other good choices as well. don't lock in on only one style, get out and try to rent some of the small nines to see what you like. To me, the emp is heavy ( I think the 9 mm weighs more than the 45 version) and I wouldn't want to carry it all day.

·
Registered
401 Posts
A buddy of mine has an EMP, and he swears by it. He is in the process of renewing his CCW here in the People's Repunblik of Kalifornia, and is replacing one of his formerly listed guns with the EMP. We can only have 3 guns on our license here in the People's Republik, so you are stuck with what you put on the license for two years...no changes...actually you can change them, but it takes as long to change as it does to go thru the entire process of getting a ccw, so he just waited a few months until his number came up.

I've shot it as well. I have a Kimber UC2, and love it, but the couple extra rounds in the EMP in the 1911 platform has me drooling. The EMP seems super accurate. My buddy calls his EMP "Visine"...because by the time he's shot a mag full, there's no more red in the center of the target. Same for me. I'm not a fantastic shooter, but with the EMP it seems my skill level goes up a notch. Finally, it is a very handsome piece...my opinion, if you've got 1200 to spend, and don't mind spending it, it's well worth it. OTOH, I am also a strong advocate of the p938, which I was fortunate enough to pick up in the last few days of the People's Republik's "single shot exemption" days. I'm just as accurate with that as with my buddy's EMP, and more accurate with it than any piece I own with the possible exception of the Kimber UC2. The only con is the smaller mag capacity, 7+1 with the extended (pinky) mag.

If you get a chance to rent one or both of these pieces, you really owe it to yourself to try them out.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Another nod to the P938. The only drawback is the lesser capacity.

If you like hammer fired pistols, I would also suggest you look at the HK P30SK. 9mm, with a 10+1 rd capacity (I got the +1 pinky extension, so mine is 11+1).

The P30SK IS a double stack pistol, but if that is not a problem, it too, is much less expensive than an EMP, and lighter as well.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
I don't know if it's a concern or not but the EMP will not hold it's value as well as some of the others mentioned here. IMO, there are a LOT of better choices for less money and the Sig P-938 immediately comes to mind among others!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I love the 1911...have carried one a considerable amount...but the weight in any configuration has pretty much ended my carrying them over the last few years. I have gotten lazy since I passed 50, 6yrs ago...if it ain't light, it don't go.

I would be far removed from paying $1200 for the EMP...although they are good little guns. In my opinion, there are better values in a 9mm 1911. If I were in the market for a short 1911...I would begin with the Colt Defender at around $900 and just as good as the EMP.

Example
Colt Defender Lightweight 9mm 07002D NIB NO CC FEE : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I like the 938 but it is SO small. P938 BRG almost got the win with my latest acquisition but I went with the M&P Shield due to it fitting my hand much better although the Sig was a very close runner up.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
As others noted, if length and weight are now issues you should set those are your primary criteria for picking another carry weapon. There are several small 9mm double-stacks that should work, I especially like the SIG P320 compact and subcompact for their excellent trigger and interchangeability of frames. Although you lose capacity a few single stacks are mentioned that could be good options. While the P938 isn't a 1911 and doesn't have the trigger of a 1911, the controls are similar and at 16 oz. it is quite light and easy to carry.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Good afternoon everyone,
Been a while since I last posted anything as life has thrown me a few curve balls LOL. Anyway, been looking to find a new edc pistol. Stopped at Cabelas to look around. I already own a Springfeild 1911 which I love but due to health issues its kinda hard to carry all day due to weight, lenght, ect. I found a Springfeild EMP-4 in 9mm.I have seen it recently in some gun magazines and it has a very good reviews from what I have read. I was wondering if anybody has one and could maybe provide some pros/cons or any other info in regards to this pistol. Looks awesome, feels great in hand,10+1 capicity which is also good. It comes with a roughly $1200 price tag though. Any info from someone who has one would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Tom
I think I have your solution, you can buy a G-19, and a G-26 for about what you are going to pay the EMP! You now have a great range/ HD gun and a great CCW gun that shares hi-capacity mags! Problem solved! :image035:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I really think if you want to buy another Springfield, go with the XDm. I've carried mine OWB and IWB and both were very comfortable even though mine has the 4.5" barrel. You can also buy it with a 3.8". Nineteen rounds plus one is plenty of 9mm to handle most threats and they can be bought for half the cost of the EMP. Cabela's is way too expensive for guns. You pay 20% more for most firearms there. The XDm online is less than $500 and I've seem the EMP for less than $1,100 locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Getting to be a broken record, but I also have to recommend you consider the 938. Mine has the Hogue rubber grips, and it fits beautifully in my hand.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I think the EMP is a doable option, only you can decide on the weight, look at the XDS line from SA also, comes in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, 5 or 6 rounds + 1 only in the .45 though.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Shop harder for a 9mm EMP. Stay comPLETELY OUT of big retail gun stores. That pistol shouldn't (and wouldn't cost ME) that much. In fact, a 4" lightweight EMP in 9mm would be as welcome in my holster as a cold beer in my hand is after... mowing the yard! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking at getting myself the EMP4 for edc as well. I don't have much in terms of the pros/cons seeing as I don't own it. I recently posted a thread asking the same thing. What I can give advice on is the price. Not sure where you live but I'm up here in Chicago, Il so gun prices are higher due to regulations and all. Go to Springfield website and go to the EMP4 and click buy now and it will direct you to gungallery.com. From here you will be able to cross reference from store 25-100 miles away and get the exact price. Was able to find one out the sort price for 1015 so a good 200$ off which is enough for a nice holster. I've spent 10+ hours at the range with it and havnt had a problem with it. Nice sights and the cocobella grips are a nice little piece. The etching on the front grip does provide a good clean grip to it, very low recoil, it's definitely a heavier gun. Compared to a glock 19 the glock fully loaded weighs less than the EMP4 empty. 5.5" in height 7.5 in length with. 4" match grade barrel. Definitely a great firearm so far, waiting for people to give their 2 cents of reliability on my thread. Only issue I've had is finding a iwb tuckavle holster. Seeing as it's a new firearm not a lot of people make a holster specifically for it. Probably purchasing mine Wednesday if reliability isn't an issue, I've probably put 1k-1500 round through and not one problem. Pics are of the EMP4 with my browning Hi-power for comparison. So far, it's worth the 1k price tag for me. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
A lighter pistol would be the shield or sig 938. Emu has great reviews but still a heavier pistol.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Since you like Springfield Armory, try the XD MOD2 SC .45. The 1911 is about 39 oz. and the MOD2 is 27 oz. The MOD2 is easy to carry and shoots well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts