Defensive Carry banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll bet that "title" got your attention? Any way I'm thinking about giving my sister-in-law a gun as a gift but the only thing is her and my brother lives in SC and I live in NC. Is the any extra steps I need to take? I'm thinking of giving her a Kahr CM-9 that I have, it's easy to carry and shoots pretty straight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you are 100% sure that she can legally own a firearm, just give it to her in person. I would prepare a no cost bill of sale and have both sign it to verify transfer of the weapon. If you are not comfortable with that process, have your local FFL transfer / ship it to her local FFL and they can perform the required governmental checks and paperwork.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Step 1: Don't tease.

:tongue:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the bill of sale "releases" me from that gun? She's 100% legal, I'm not going to give the gun grabbers any more to use against us.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
Yeah ya had my undivided attention until you mentioned your sister......:blink:

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Possibly accepting a given away gun! :danceban:

If she has a problem, just send it to me!

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Hey, I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that if you're legal residents of two different states, you CANNOT give her a firearm without going through an FFL on both ends of the deal. Better check on it.

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
You cannot legally give a pistol to anyone living in another state from your own resident state.
I wanted to give my son a pistol. I live in FL, and he lives in IN...I took it to an FFL here in FL and they sent it to a FFL in IN...then my son picked it up in his own state.

I'm sure that people give guns to relatives in other states, but if there were an incident and the trail of the pistol led to an illegal transfer...there will be big problems.

I chose to go the legal route.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
If the weapon you seek to give away was purchased prior to having a background check/filling out BATF Form 4473 you to say she didn't buy it prior to....... Just saying..........

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
"Possibly giving a gun away"

:mad::buttkick::slap::spankme::badguy::camper::hh30::spank::smashfreakB::rippedhand:

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Please listen to retsupt and do this the right way.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
While you can gift her the gun it must go through an FFL in her state. You could take her to an FFL in her state have them do the transfer and pay the fee. You could also check with an FFL in her state to see if they will accept a shipment from you and do the transfer when she comes to pick it up. If you were to simply hand it over to her without going through an FFL in her state you would be breaking federal law. Cross state line gifts can get tricky but if you go through an FFL in the recipients state you should be OK.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
If you are 100% sure that she can legally own a firearm, just give it to her in person...
^^^This would be a Felony. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
907 Posts
How far this country has fallen.

Reactions: Crowman

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
...you can skip half of that if the FFL where she is will accept a handgun from an unlicensed individual...the law allows us as unlicensed individuals to ship a handgun common carrier to an individual WITHIN OUR OWN STATE or to an FFL in any state BY COMMON CARRIER ONLY...(some FFLs are ignorant/paranoid and won't accept from individuals, even though you show them where the law says they may...I wonder why a hard-working FFL dealer would be paranoid in the land of the free...)

...to skip the FFL is bad advice...felony for you and your sister, and we know you're not going to do that...folks oughta do more readin' before they start rappin', could get a feller into deep trouble...

...once the feds are satisfied, check both your state laws to see if anything's required at the state level...FFLS in each state should be able to correctly advise you...

You cannot legally give a pistol to anyone living in another state from your own resident state.
I wanted to give my son a pistol. I live in FL, and he lives in IN...I took it to an FFL here in FL and they sent it to a FFL in IN...then my son picked it up in his own state.

I'm sure that people give guns to relatives in other states, but if there were an incident and the trail of the pistol led to an illegal transfer...there will be big problems.

I chose to go the legal route.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts