Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to embark on a new venture, handloading cast bullets for 40 S&W. In particular, I'm going to handload 180 grain cast bullets for 40 S&W, that will be fired out of a Glock 20 with a Lone Wolf 40 S&W conversion barrel.

I'm hoping to get 950 - 1000 fps out of the load.

My question is, do you have any suggestions for powder? I have a few to choose from, and am initially considering Unique or AA 7. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
HS-6 is my go-to powder in 9 & 40. Love that stuff. I tested 3 powders a couple of weeks ago looking for the fastest over the chrono. I made up some "medium" , "maximum" and "maximum +" loads from HS-6, Autocomp and CFE pistol in 9mm and 40S&W. Time after time, in my guns, the HS-6 out performed the others with regards to bullet speed. Sorry, I don't have the results handy, but best I can remember, the HS-6 max+ in 124 grain 9mm went over 1200fps consistently. The 180 grain 40 went almost 1100 fps by my memory. I like it.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
in my first post, I replied on my smart phone and missed you are looking for a good cast bullet powder. You may consider Ramshot True Blue. I have to ask though, what type measure are you using? True Blue is the finest granulated powder I've ever seen, and it's a true spherical, not a flattened ball. It acts like very tiny ball bearings, and I had to get a special powder bar from Dillon for my 550B. Customer service should know what you are asking for.

Some people like Clay's, but unless you're a seasoned reloader and very attentive on top of that, a double charge is quite possible. I've reloaded for many years, and still don't like powders that can throw a double charge.

Like stated in the post above me, HS-6 is also a good choice.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone and thanks Flintlock. I'm using a Lee Auto Disc for powder dispensing.

Seems like there are a lot of good options and I plan on checking out these. Thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've had good luck with IMR SR 4756, but it has since been discontinued. The minimum charge of longshot will give about 1010 fps.

·
Super Moderator
19,376 Posts
My shooting buddy loads cast 180s over Universal Clays and also Unique for recreation and club-level competition in his G35. No problems at all.

I chrono'd his loads a while a back, but I can't lay my hands on the data at the moment. If it's important to you, I'll dig it up.

·
Super Moderator
18,420 Posts
The only thing .40 S&W handloaded that I've chronographed here was a deliberately mild load to test the .40 Shield for function and to provide for a cheap range load. Worked great for the purpose. Intend to load some batches more "enthusiastically" at some point.

Handloaded 180 grain cast lead truncated cone bullet, 4.8 grains Unique
MV: 842 fps
ME: 283 ft./lbs.
ES: 70 fps
SD: 25 fps

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, before I settle on a particular powder I will definitely try Unique. It's too good a powder not to.

Someday, my goal is to distill all my hand loads down to Bullseye, Unique and 2400.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Longshot is excellent for full-power .40 loads. My BHP loves it. The powder burns clean and fills the case.

Reactions: flintlock62

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Longshot is excellent for full-power .40 loads. My BHP loves it. The powder burns clean and fills the case.
Longshot is excellent for full power loads with jacketed bullets. However, I personally don't like pushing cast bullets too fast. I would suggest using a charge on the low end of the scale. I still prefer True Blue for cast bullets.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Have you chronographed any of your loads??

I've started to play with Longshot for 357 SIG, (plated bullets) and one thing I've discovered that on the low end it has some pretty large extreme spreads. Once you start approaching max, it smooths out. It is a pretty slow burning powder and gives max velocities without excessive pressure. Accuracy is fine, but I got high-lows of almost 90FPS on the low end of the spectrum. It's not a powder I'd use for cast bullets by any means...unless I was without a choice

Chuck

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I only use cast-bullets. No problems encountered.

·
Registered
161 Posts
First, look to manuals and not unknown folks on the web.
AA5 gives best accuracy, but I don't take it or ANY faster powder higher than mid-range. Hasn't mattered what weight bullet or what gun I use, AA5 gives superb accuracy.
For full power loads, Silhouette has been best.
True Blue as been very good from very light target loads to max loads, but the first two have been just a bit more accurate.
Unique is, of course, one of the very first choices for any cast bullet load in any cartridge. Universal has never been as good in my guns.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts