Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried my new Lee Classic Loader in .308 today, and noticed that a lot of the powder was sticking to the sides and such.

I think part of my problem was not cleaniing it initially to get the oils off (which I just did using mineral spirits), and I also saw that some people will run graphite thru it to create a coating if you will to help facilitate flow.

My question is, would an aerosol graphite spray, such as this:

be ok to apply the "coating"? Or should I use something that's more of a powder? I'd like to apply the "coating" before I try anymore loading to minimize the loss and cleanup.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
So I tried my new Lee Classic Loader in .308 today, and noticed that a lot of the powder was sticking to the sides and such.

I think part of my problem was not cleaniing it initially to get the oils off (which I just did using mineral spirits), and I also saw that some people will run graphite thru it to create a coating if you will to help facilitate flow.

My question is, would an aerosol graphite spray, such as this:

be ok to apply the "coating"? Or should I use something that's more of a powder? I'd like to apply the "coating" before I try anymore loading to minimize the loss and cleanup.

Thanks.
Wow no replies where all our reloaders at??? Lol guess that includes me. Sticking powder could be any number of reasons one off them being what you mentioned not cleaning the hopper properly before use or humidity or static electricity etc etc take your pick. I wouldn't spray anything into the hopper just keep at it you'll find the gunpowder has enough graphite in it already to coat the hopper with use. Oh and there will be days that the powder will stick to it anyway just part of the hobby. Enjoy

·
Registered
161 Posts
What do Lee's instructions say?
All metal parts need to be degreased with degreaser or brake cleaner and air dried. If there are plastic parts (dippers or such), wash in soapy water and air dry. Do not wipe or rinse off in either case. Very slight soap residue will eliminate static. Static only matters if the weight dispensed is affected.
For powder measures, you thoroughly clean as above and use powdered graphite (not aerosol). Normally, you fill the powder measure with a graphitized powder (like Bullseye or Unique) and run a whole hopper through the measure. You can also pour in some powdered graphite and run it through the measure.
On my Lee Pro Auto-Disks, I use aerosol graphite on the top of the disks.

·
Registered
36,192 Posts
A used dryer softener sheet works wonders at reducing static cling on a powder hopper and the like. I've never used any manner of graphite and never had a problem with clinging powder.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The graphite is a dry lube for the metal parts. Washing in hot soapy water and letting the plastic air dry prevents static.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts