Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked this question before and have gotten different answers so I am trying to clarify the reality of the rear cocking indicator on the PPS.

Can I use it in the same manner as I would an external hammer by pushing it while reholstering? If the trigger were snagged would the gun still fire while I were forcefully pushing in the cocking indicator?

My main gripe with striker fired guns is that the hammer cannot be bobbed down to prevent ND when holstering. Some people seem to be claiming that the cocking indicator on the PPS can indeed be used in a similar fashion. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Just to be clear, are you asking whether the PPS is de-cocked by pushing on the indicator, or that it is temporarily rendered safe?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I've asked this question before and have gotten different answers so I am trying to clarify the reality of the rear cocking indicator on the PPS.

Can I use it in the same manner as I would an external hammer by pushing it while reholstering? If the trigger were snagged would the gun still fire while I were forcefully pushing in the cocking indicator?

My main gripe with striker fired guns is that the hammer cannot be bobbed down to prevent ND when holstering. Some people seem to be claiming that the cocking indicator on the PPS can indeed be used in a similar fashion. Is this accurate?
That is exactly how I used the little cocked indicator when I had my PPS, if you place your thumb over it and apply pressure you can feel if the trigger is moving back way befor the trigger breaks. If I wanted to i could easily hold my thumb over it and be unable to pull the trigger completely, the Ruger SR9 works the same way with its cocked indicator. That being said, is this how the manufacturer intended it to be used I have no idea I just know that it can be used in that manner. My PPS was used for appendix carry because of this very feature, I would reholster with my thumb over the C.I. and add a little bit of safety.

I should add that I had the Gen 1 version and have not tried it with the Gen 2 pistol. Grab a snap cap and try it out its the best way for you to see for yourself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I get what you are trying to do or understand. I've used the indicator as a tactile warning while holstering - thumb over the back of slide - but I would never depend on it to prevent a primer strike as you can with a typical DA/SA hammer. It's possibly strong enough, but it's a thin plastic part, right? It may be strong enough, but I don't know it's strong enough.

Holster slowly, carefully, respectfully, but not fearfully. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
On can see and feel the indicator coming back, with a thumb you should feel it coming back. Physically I doubt you will have enough force to stop the indicator with your thumb to prevent a discharge.
Much better plan is just be safe and slowly holster.
Countless owners holster their pistols (striker fired) every day with no mishaps.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
That's how I use it on mine, thumb over to "indicate" if the trigger is being depressed while holstering.

It doesn't replace being careful and taking your time, but it does compliment nicely.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
On can see and feel the indicator coming back, with a thumb you should feel it coming back. Physically I doubt you will have enough force to stop the indicator with your thumb to prevent a discharge.
Countless owners holster their pistols (striker fired) every day with no mishaps.
As Chuck R states below it doesn't replace being careful and taking your time but on my PPS I could hold back the trigger with my thumb over the cocking indicator to the point that it was painful. If it had a sharper end I am sure I would have punctured my thumb.

Reactions: rocky

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
100%

I use my thumb over it to make sure the trigger isn't being manipulated when holstering. I freaking love the feature, and find myself placing my thumb in the same position on all my handguns when I holster wishing there was a indicator there as well.

There is no way my thumb could stop the action from working if the trigger was being manipulated. Too fatty - too much give. BUT, I will know to stop what I'm doing or reverse. Fact is, jamming the gun forward if you know the trigger is being activated just because you could stop it, is a silly idea in and of itself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts