Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked and held the Walther PPS 9mm many times and they call my name I believe only because I used to be a walther fan 25 years ago. I also have them put back in the display each time because of the many negatives I read. I have 3 questions:

1. Have all the problems this gun was experiencing been fixed and how odes their reliability stand compared to a glock 26?

2. Why does it seem each gun shop I go to the staff all say they are nice guns but they are just not Walther fans??

3. If you were given a PPS and a Glock 26 for free, which would you use as a carry gun?

Thanks for any replys.

·
Registered
379 Posts
1. I don't know what issues they were having, but I bought one this summer and it has been flawless. Others have reported good things here as well.

2. No idea.

3. The PPS. The PPS for me fits a need of ultra concealable in any clothing (I am female). It is very thin. I am not a Glock 26 fan, I have a Glock 19 and prefer that over the 26, the 26 is only a little smaller than the 19, but the 19 has 15+1 so it's the winner. If I am going to trade for lower capacity the reason has to be clothing/concealability issues and the PPS would be it.

If I was only going to own 1 gun the Walther PPS would not be it, only because of capacity, but it is a great gun.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My PPS has been flawless in over two years of EDC. I have a G27 and it never gets taken out of the safe. Most gun shop guys I've ever met were perhaps the least knowledgeable about their products. most of the guys who work in shops are myopic about anything that isn't a Glock or a 1911. The PPS is German made and just plain perfect as far as an ultra high quality concealable and powerful handgun. I like to buy with what my gut tells me is right. My gut was right on the money with this little gem.

Here is the business end of mine with a Big Taco stainless steel guide rod prototype installed. The highly polished end really makes the pistol look great. The crescent shaped shadow is simply a reflection in the high polished button end of the guide rod. The OEM rod is fine but the Big Taco rod is just so damn sweet in both form and function. I believe he will be black oxiding them when the production run begins.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
1. The PPS might be as reliable as a G26, but there is no pistol more reliable than a Glock.

2. Seems that the US-made Walthers are/were not up to the quality of the German-made Walthers.

3. G26. For the slight increase in width, you get much more capacity. The mag release is where I am used to it being. Many more accessories and holsters available. Can reload it with a G19 (15-rd) or G17 (17-rd) mag. Magazines don't have that big floorplate that the PPS ones do - makes it easier to carry a spare mag. No worries about dropping it and possibly having the grip come apart, rendering the pistol incapable of being fired due to the "safety." G26 comes with 2 mags, the PPS with only 1 - and the mags are costly.

I'm not saying the PPS isn't a nice pistol - it is. But you sacrifice a lot for the slightly thinner profile.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep the opinions and question answeres coming. i appreciate them all. Preferably by someone who has experience with these 2 guns. Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
Kahr CW40 or PM40??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, keep em coming. If I were a teacher I would have to fail you Carry4MyFam as you did not answer any of the 3 questions I posted to help me choose, lol. Thanks anyway for your post on 40 cal in 2 different guns than what I am comparing.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Another thing to consider, is aftermarket support. The Glock is widely supported by all facets of the SD, LE handgun industry from holsters to spare parts, are readily and easily available just about everywhere you look at any reputable firearms merchandiser. The PPS feels very nice in the hand due to its thin profile. It does have soem odd controls like the mag release. It like 10thmtn mentioned only comes with one mag, and additional are costly. Glock mags routinely go for no more than 20 bucks, while the PPS are 45-50. The Glock is so simple its stupid, but just keeps runnig no matter what you throw at it. Both have a very utilitarian appearance, and are not built for looks. The Glock has the ability to use Hi-cap mags from the 19 and 17 where PPS has no ability to "upsize" capacity. Both are very nice guns, but the PPS is more of a niche gun. Overall if I was given money, the 26 would be my buy. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
1. The PPS might be as reliable as a G26, but there is no pistol more reliable than a Glock.

2. Seems that the US-made Walthers are/were not up to the quality of the German-made Walthers.

3. G26. For the slight increase in width, you get much more capacity. The mag release is where I am used to it being. Many more accessories and holsters available. Can reload it with a G19 (15-rd) or G17 (17-rd) mag. Magazines don't have that big floorplate that the PPS ones do - makes it easier to carry a spare mag. No worries about dropping it and possibly having the grip come apart, rendering the pistol incapable of being fired due to the "safety." G26 comes with 2 mags, the PPS with only 1 - and the mags are costly.

I'm not saying the PPS isn't a nice pistol - it is. But you sacrifice a lot for the slightly thinner profile.
The Walther PPS is NOT made in USA. It is 100% German made. It is stamped with the S&W brand solely because of their distribution rights. Golck lovers are always gonna find reasons to hate on non-Glock brands. Glocks are reliable. but that doesn't mean other brands aren't reliable either. BTW: My PPS came with two mags.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I was going on 10thmtn and his knowledge that it cam with one mag, I stand corrected.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Had a small family gathering yesterday and brought along my two Walthers.
P99 .40 S&W and P99C 9mm.
Had a really mixed bag of ammo and had ZERO problems. They ate everything I had in the way of FMJ and JHP from factory to handloads.

If the PPS is anything like the P99 I would have no problem trusting it as my EDC.

bosco

·
Registered
281 Posts
Data?

I wouldn't put any weight on country of origin. I say this after having worked as an engineer in Germany for Mercedes for a year.

To stereotype, German engineers tend to over-complicate things which typically leads to reliability issues. They will also often have a weak link which renders the device useless.

This doesn't mean that a German product is automatically over complicated or bad, it's just that I approach them with skepticism until proven otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Mine has worked flawlessly. Glocks are good guns as well, pick what fits you best .

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have both the G26 and the 9mm PPS. The PPS has been just as reliable as the G26 plus it is easier to conceal. The PPS is 18+ months old and has 3000+ rounds of mixed ammo thru it. The PPS is my main bug. I carry it in my left front pocket. I could not do that with the G26 without printing or wearing really baggy pants. I love the G26, accurate, dependable, good capacity for size and I still use / carry it on occasion. But the PPS fits my needs and is dependable so far.
PS - I have had Glocks break on me (along with 1911's, HP's S&W's, Colts, etc). They all will break sooner or later. They are mechanical.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have both the G26 and the 9mm PPS. The PPS has been just as reliable as the G26 plus it is easier to conceal. The PPS is 18+ months old and has 3000+ rounds of mixed ammo thru it. The PPS is my main bug. I carry it in my left front pocket. I could not do that with the G26 without printing or wearing really baggy pants. I love the G26, accurate, dependable, good capacity for size and I still use / carry it on occasion. But the PPS fits my needs and is dependable so far.
PS - I have had Glocks break on me (along with 1911's, HP's S&W's, Colts, etc). They all will break sooner or later. They are mechanical.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have the PPS 9mm. Love it! Thin, easily concealed using the 7 rd mag. I'm waiting on a TTGunleather snap removable pancake, using a High Noon Bare Asset in the meantime. I have tried the Glock and the grip just wasn't comfortable, thin enough for my hands. The Glock even feels thicker than my subcompact XD. The PPS shoots straight, relatively soft recoil, trigger loosens up quickly. I've shot probably between 800 and 1000 rounds with zero problems. As others have said, the PPS is not made in the USA but Germany for whatever that is worth as far as quality goes. You may prefer the Glock after trying both, but don't let those who haven't used the PPS for at least a while deter you.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
I was going on 10thmtn and his knowledge that it cam with one mag, I stand corrected.
And I was going off the info on the manufacturer's website. If that has changed and they now come with 2 mags, that is indeed a good thing!

I know the PPS is made in Germany. The OP asked a question about why some gun shops are not too keen on Walther. I think it comes from some of the other Walther models, which were made in USA and not up to the German specs.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...........1. Have all the problems this gun was experiencing been fixed and how odes their reliability stand compared to a glock 26? The only real problems I'm aware of occurred with the First Edition special model. My PPS 40 and my wife's PPS 9mm have been flawless.

2. Why does it seem each gun shop I go to the staff all say they are nice guns but they are just not Walther fans?? Could be they are associating some of the problems with the S&W manufactured Walthers with the entire Walther line.

3. If you were given a PPS and a Glock 26 for free, which would you use as a carry gun? Have to be the PPS.

Thanks for any replys.
BTW, the current configuration of the PPS comes with just one magazine (the middle capacity for each caliber). They used to come with two as both of mine came with the low and medium capacity mags. Only the largest capacity wasn't included with mine.

Hoss

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have looked and held the Walther PPS 9mm many times and they call my name I believe only because I used to be a walther fan 25 years ago. I also have them put back in the display each time because of the many negatives I read. I have 3 questions:

1. Have all the problems this gun was experiencing been fixed and how odes their reliability stand compared to a glock 26?

2. Why does it seem each gun shop I go to the staff all say they are nice guns but they are just not Walther fans??

3. If you were given a PPS and a Glock 26 for free, which would you use as a carry gun?

Thanks for any replys.
1) I hope so, I'm also shopping for a PPS in 9mm, I already own a Glock 26/27/19 But I carry IWB and sometimes my pants shrink, like after holiday meal times ...

2) Same reason you can go into any Radio Shack and ask for a zenar diode and get a bewildered look in return. (Or ask any Big Box hardware store employee what size wire you need to carry 50 amps, or why can't a gas hose be used for water since gas is thinner than water and it shouldn't leak (ignoring that water is under more pressure) because, they are just employees, unfamiliar with the products they sell.

3) I normally carry 3 to 6 guns at a time, but I can't answer this "if I could only carry one" since I'm not yet familiar with the PPS, but want one..... depends on pants budget if they shrunk I suppose.

The PPS is German made, rather than made by S&W .... so was my old PPK Stainless, before it got "borrowed" by someone who has yet to return it, and I don't really want to replace it with the S&W model. So, I'm looking at the PPS myself.

·
Registered
375 Posts
IMHO my PPS is far, far from "slightly more thinner" than my Glock 26.

It is waaaaaaay thinner.

Perhaps not in physical measurements (0.275" difference), but in overall "feel" the PPS feels like wafer while the Glock feels like, well, a block.

Glock model 26:
6.29 inches long
4.17 inches tall
1.18 inches wide
barrel length of 3.46 inches
weighs 19.75

Walther PPS:
Weight, Empty 19.4 oz (549g)
Length 6.29" (160mm)
Height 4.4" (112mm)
Width .905" (23mm)
Barrel Length 3.19" (81mm)

In terms of height, with the 6 round mag the PPS looks shorter. With the 8 rounder it's a full size grip as long a Sig P220.

Reliability anecdotaly goes to the Glock. The PPS was released to the public so we could do final testing and evaluation instead of Walther. Just look up all the old threads on the various Walther, PPS, and S&W boards. Locking up, broken parts, flaking finishes etc...

Video here YouTube - Walther PPS vs Glock (size)

This has been discussed around 13,566 times on Al Gore's interweb. Bottom line answer is buy one, and save up enough money for the other one! :hand10:

pps glock 26 - Google Search

Glock 26 vs. Walther PPS - Topic Powered by Social Strata

1 - 20 of 28 Posts