Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then i read a news story not someone found with a "huge" or "giant" cache of ammo. Got me to thinking. On an average, how many rounds do you go through a month? For myself, about 500 rounds. Some months a great deal more, but rarely less. I practice at least one day per week, sometimes more if schedule allows. This excludes rifle work.

Reactions: Ivarr

·
Registered
739 Posts
Every now and then i read a news story not someone found with a "huge" or "giant" cache of ammo. Got me to thinking. On an average, how many rounds do you go through a month? For myself, about 500 rounds. Some months a great deal more, but rarely less. I practice at least one day per week, sometimes more if schedule allows. This excludes rifle work.
I tend to keep about 500 rounds minimum of my various calibers. As I shoot/train/use up some rounds at the range, I buy some more boxes of whatever I shot to replenish the stock.

Not looking to keep 10's or 100's of thousands of rounds in my "Stash", but I wouldn't be unhappy or surprised if my "shoot 50, buy 100 rounds to replace it" method ends up with me having 5000 rounds of a particular caliber or more.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
The same people that bring you the 'huge ammo cache' headlines are the same people that call our ARs automatic weapons of war, so consider the source.

I can go through 1k rounds in a pistol class over a weekend so I don't consider having 1k laying around any big cache.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
500 eh? Oophf...wow! I must be over-doing it a little. I tend to shoot that in one session. I average right around 3000 rounds per month. But, to be fair, that's spread out amongst multiple weapons systems.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I tend to keep about 500 rounds minimum of my various calibers. As I shoot/train/use up some rounds at the range, I buy some more boxes of whatever I shot to replenish the stock.

Not looking to keep 10's or 100's of thousands of rounds in my "Stash", but I wouldn't be unhappy or surprised if my "shoot 50, buy 100 rounds to replace it" method ends up with me having 5000 rounds of a particular caliber or more.
That's a good way to do it. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Way too little, and certainly not enough. Life & work have been pretty insane lately, (both getting better now), so I aint seen a range in months...though it is about time to do some fine tuning on a red dot scope for my primary AR... Maybe break out the Glock 19. Load up some AK mags

·
Registered
973 Posts
I shoot enough to keep my skills sharp and it doesn't take much for that. I keep enough to survive the zombie apocalypse or maybe just enough that I can whether any shortage of ammo period we may encounter again. Not interested in ever standing in ammo lines again.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
You guys must be retired and not married.. That's a lot of range time to shoot 3000 a month

Meh, but it's about right. It doesn't take long to shoot up 500 rounds. If I take 10 Mags of 5.56 plus a 100 round drum and do slide fire, it's gone in no time. That's 400 rounds right there. And then move to pistols, i.e., 45, 9mm, 40 cal, 380. 2 hours x 4 days average per week. And then Wed. is Ladies night so that another 300 for the wife easy. Yeah, about 3000. Wow, you have forced me to look at what I'm shooting. Then of course that doesn't include whatever course I may take. I do those maybe 4 to 6 times a year.

Some people golf, some bowl, some gamble. We shoot. But dang, I'm really gonna have to talk to momma about this, because this might be hinging on the excessive a bit. hmmmm. darn.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I shoot 100 rounds per week practice. May not sound like much, but it keeps me getting a bit better. I would love to shoot 3000 rounds but at that we are over $1000 not to mention springs magazines, ect. I have too many other hobbies. I also do dry fire once per week at 100 cycles. If I do a class of course that figures goes way up.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I shoot 100 rounds per week practice. May not sound like much, but it keeps me getting a bit better. I would love to shoot 3000 rounds but at that we are over $1000 not to mention springs magazines, ect. I have too many other hobbies. I also do dry fire once per week at 100 cycles. If I do a class of course that figures goes way up.
We shoot that much because...well...we have a guy! I thought all of us have "a guy," that reloads! They're pretty exclusive, I was told when I first started shooting, to find you "a guy." So, we did...didn't happen over night, but we have "a guy." And we treat him good!

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
You guys must be retired and not married.. That's a lot of range time to shoot 3000 a month
Not really, my range is out back and I reload in batches of 2-3 K per caliber at a time to cut down on swapping my dies etc out. I just finished loading a "lot" of 3,000 9mm, tomorrow I'm piking up 8lbs of HP38, 10,000 small pistol primers and 5,000 large pistol primers, so I can start working on 2017s ammo.

My usually sessions are 1-300 at a whack a couple times a week. I can go through a couple hundred rounds in an hour or so just working a couple drills. Bad (good) news is my boy's starting to shoot 9mm, so I'm looking at a Dillon 650 to speed up production.

Chuck

·
Registered
887 Posts
I only have to guns that i shoot regularly and one that I shoot occasionally. I usually go thru a 1-2 hundred rounds each of 9mm and .40 per month. I only have about 5 or 6 hundred rounds in storage. I have been thinking of maybe looking into reloading. Thats the bad thing about living in a rural area where we shoot on our own land, you can shoot every day if you want. If I could afford it I'd shoot a heck of alot more.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts

Unless you reload most retired can't afford 3000 a month. If been married several years. Wife glad your out of house shooting, and not bothering her.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
In my heyday I'd go through 600 rounds of .38 Spl a month (180 per PPC event - three groups of 60 - twice a month plus practice on the weekends in between).

I'd easily have 2,000 rounds of centerfire handgun and 5,000 .22 LR on hand at any given time. Maybe another 1,500 rounds of rifle & 300 shotshells . . . so that's over 8,800 rounds.

Much less than that currently. But I probably only shoot 150 rounds a month of breech-loader fodder.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I don't like to "hoard"....I shoot a lot of reloads, lead or polycoated, and its usually about 300 rounds per month. As I get
closer to retirement in about 3 years, I will be shooting more. :smile:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I kinda wish I kept a round count on my various guns. My guess would be between 300 & 800 rounds a month? Depends on the month I guess.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I stopped shooting reloads after discovering some great deals on line such as Freedom Ammunition. Only 2 to 3 cents a round difference. As one might say, I shoot enough to know which way to point the gun but not enough to shoot the balls off a fly at 50 yards. (about 400-500 rounds/month between two hand guns).... Sometimes more, sometimes less.... I try to keep at least 2000 rounds of pistol ammo in the house just in cse any unwanted distant relatives want to try and move in unwanted. Odd thing... I always feel really relaxed and at ease after either shooting or riding.

Reactions: Bandit99

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
In truth, if it weren't for our guy, there's no way we afford to shoot as much. Which another reason why we take care of him. But we are also pretty well stocked, too. But still...good to have friends with benefits.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts