Defensive Carry banner

How Often Do You Practice Your Shooting?

• Weekly

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Two or Three Times Per Month

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Other (Please Elaborate Below)

Votes: 7 8.3%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been a Poll before, but it hadn't been asked recently based on my review of old topics. It's also my first "Poll" posting, so it could be interesting, to say the least.

As new gun owners, my wife and I try to go to the range weekly. We shoot 150 to 250 rounds at fixed targets generally to continue skill development and muscle memory. We've had no "advanced" (IDPA, FOF, etc.) training, but generally have our trainer put us through additional drills and targeting techniques frequently. We're still in the "toddler" stage, and believe that practice and training is critically important.

What do the rest of you do to continue to advance your skill levels?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Unfortunately work and family tend to keep me to a monthly schedule. Hopefully Spring and Summer will improve my opportunities. While at the range I typically go through 1,000 rounds or more with several different calibers. I've added to my routine a weak hand drill. This is an eye opener believe me.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Things are rather seasonally controlled and so in winter I don't get to range a whole lot - practice often is some pin shooting indoors!

Once weather better then I will try and sneak off to the range to fit the ''2-3 times a month'' schedule. Plus trying to do the IDPA shoots.

Between times tho plenty of dry fire drills.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mrs. Airedale and I shoot USPSA matches weekly ~March through October. I shoot some of the winter matches. When I get the urge, I go to the pasture and shoot steel.
Dave

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
IDPA twice a month and teaching CCW classes on weekends I'm not shooting IDPA.

·
Registered
835 Posts
How about 'as often as possible' or 'varies by season'

During crappy weather (we have lots of that here in MO) I try to get to an indoor range at least once a month. When it's nice outside, I try to get to an outdoor range once a week.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Voted other. Heres why:
Before I bought my new P229, I went about ance every 2 months, just never had the time. Now I go every 2 weeks as I go from work on Saturday.

Hopefully, I can get into a rhythm and continue my every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I haven't "really" fired a firearm in over 2 years. Except for the occ. test rounds I've not done any real shooting.

I have about 7 (counting the Glock that comes off lay-a-way next week) that I've bought and still haven't shot :(.

I chose Other.

Wayne

·
Registered
336 Posts
I either shoot 20-100 rds weekly , or bi-weekly and supplement by lots of dry-fire .

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was going to the range bi-weekly until the knee surgery. I've been once since then (had the surgery 2 weeks ago) and am going to try to go tomorrow. I like to put about 100rnds. through my carry piece every two weeks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I try to get to the range weekly if possible, although sometimes I may skip a week depending on my schedule. I'd like to be able to go more often- but, unfortunately, my job and my bank account tend to interfere with what I'd like to be able to do...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Try to shoot at least 50 rounds a week. The local shop has a nice indoor range, and I am self-employed so can set my own schedule. It's only the money for range time and ammo that holds me back >sigh<

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I try to go at least two times a months; some months I'm able to go three times.

I generally shoot 300-500 rounds per session, with most of my sessions starting with drawing my holstered weapon from concealment. I also shoot drills consisting of: weak and strong-hand only, failure-to-stop, multiple targets, partially concealed, ranges above 10 yards and some other stuff.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts