Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was outside at my shooting range today just doing some shooting at steel targets. After finishing up I was sitting there thinking how fortunate I am to have a safe place to shoot on my own land. I guess at times I take it for granted that I can just walk outside and shoot any time I want. Got me thinking about the average joe that took the class and received his carry permit. I realize that most of the members here are not your "average joe". I think I read there were about 15million people with carry permits, correct me if I am wrong. Guess it was just a lazy day to sit and wonder......

How many times a month would the average person go to a range to shoot? How many rounds a month does the average person shoot? If you shoot at an indoor range how do you practice drawing from your holster, or moving off the X? Do you think the average person gets their permit and after that practice is at a minimum ?

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
In a good month, when time and money allow, I would get to the range twice a month, shooting 200-300 rds per trip. Now I'm setting up a home range, and reloading, so I'd like to shoot about the same number of rounds, but shoot 3-4 times a month instead.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In a good month, when time and money allow, I would get to the range twice a month, shooting 200-300 rds per trip. Now I'm setting up a home range, and reloading, so I'd like to shoot about the same number of rounds, but shoot 3-4 times a month instead.
So would you say the average permit holder makes it to the range twice a month?

Believe me if you can shoot at a home range, you'll shoot more than 3-4 times a month.:smile: And reloading doesn't save me any money, I just throw more rounds downrange. :smile: Sometimes I shoot 3 or 4 times a week. Being able to shoot anytime I want, some days I only shoot 50 rounds.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I'll bet there is a whole slew of people who practice very seldom. I'm so glad that I can shoot pretty much as the weather allows, but even then, a guy gets busy. Short of being able to go out your back yard, it's a commitment to practice.

There needs to be more ranges within city limits.

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
Ya know, my thoughts on this is that any trigger time is beneficial.

But if, we are talking practice, and to what extent it is of benefit, we must look at the content of the practice.

Practice, is repeating and perfecting training received.

Plinking, is shooting without purpose for fun. Nothing wrong there either, and has some benefits.
It all depends on you and your desires:)

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
I'm lucky if I get to shoot once a month. Besides being busy, living in the city my options are a few indoor ranges where drawing and moving aren't allowed. There's also a ~$20 fee, so I don't just drop in and put 50 rounds through my EDC - I want to bring several guns and fire at least a couple hundred rounds. Practice of drawing and movement is done at home with dry fire. Someday we'll have a nice place in the country where I can go out back and shoot, but that's a ways off.

Compared to the others I know who have permits, I think I probably get more practice than average. Just a guess, but I'd say average is maybe two or three times a year, maybe 100 rounds each time.

Reactions: Bandit99

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
So would you say the average permit holder makes it to the range twice a month?

Believe me if you can shoot at a home range, you'll shoot more than 3-4 times a month.:smile: And reloading doesn't save me any money, I just throw more rounds downrange. :smile: Sometimes I shoot 3 or 4 times a week. Being able to shoot anytime I want, some days I only shoot 50 rounds.
No. I'd bet the average permit holder goes to the range at best once or twice a year. I know guys that have had a prmeit for years, and have shot their carry gun maybe only once or twice since then.

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
The average Joe who took the class and got his license doesn't even carry.
Yep ;Many people just get it in case they feel the need arises in their life.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Regrettably I only get 2 to 4 hours a month and most of the time it's an indoor range. I really don't like the fact I don't get to outdoor ranges very much, I also wish I could do more practice moving while shooting. I did some of that at a friends farm all day it was fun, enlightening and the next time I went to the range I was shooting so much better!
I envy you and would love to live where I could just go outside and shoot at my own personal outdoor range.

Reactions: Bandit99

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
The average Joe who took the class and got his license doesn't even carry.
I know several people like this. A couple of them figured "eh, probably won't need it, I'll just keep it in a drawer". A few others carry "when they feel like it". I suspect that more people take their gun to the range to function check it and that's it, than regularly practice. I can't practice as much as I'd like. I'm on a limited income and the closest range to me is a good half hour away, is outside so is dependent on the weather and has very limited space in which to set up. If there is already more than 5 people there, you're sitting your gear on the grass and putting your targets pretty close to others. There is an indoor one closer by "coming soon", but two opening dates have already come and gone.

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
To me that is insane, I hope that isn't true and have to ask why they even got one then?
Id have to guess it's because of freedom of choice. Nothing at all wrong with it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know a person who has a carry permit but the closest to actually carrying the gun on his person is keeping it in the center console of his vehicle. I guess some people choose to believe evil will never strike. I think he shoots the gun 3 or 4 times a year.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oh I agree with you! I just don't know if I could live with myself if I just didn't carry the day I could have saved a child life, or a pregnant mothers,or a family member or anyone for that matter cause I just decided not to wear my gun that day. I hate not being able to carry when I walk into work as it is!

like this poor women!

·
Registered
305 Posts
This women went to congress as well and My hat is off to her I love how she spoke and what she said.

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
This women went to congress as well and My hat is off to her I love how she spoke and what she said.
Yeah, that happened many years ago in Texas; I remember it well.
She later was elected to congress.

It was during this time that many people were passing condescending judgement upon those who wished to carry, several years before the Florida CC law that started the spread of cc laws nation wide, took effect.

I see the same alarming trend now in the carry community towards those who may not wish to carry all the time, or own a gun but not carry.
Just like in the Animal Farm, the pigs are starting to look like the humans they despised.

I don't want to see us get to that place.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You know that video brings a thought to me that keeps coming up, I live in Wisconsin, I have a Wisconsin CCL and a Utah CCL, I can carry in most places in the United States and protect myself or others. But my home state of Illinois not only does not recognize my CCL but Illinois doesn't recognize anyone's license but residents of Illinois. I go to and through Illinois a lot more than the average person. This wouldn't bother me so much, it would but I guess I could swallow it better if most places in the united states didn't recognize Illinois' ccl. I am a strong believer that our CCL in the united states should be nation wide, a FEDERAL License but maybe that is just me. Cause I feel a lot like this women did when she made the decision to leave her gun in her car, every time I am not allowed to even bring my gun to Illinois at all. This is one example, but I go to MN too and there is another sticky situation. I want to know why we can't get more on board and I've looked but you would have to be a resident of Utah for MN to accept that ccl in MN. I feel trapped in my own state and less able to protect myself it isn't right.
Let me Clarify something, MN and IL are two states I feel just as at home at as when I'm in Wisconsin, I shouldn't be made to feel unwelcome or like a criminal if I go there.

Reactions: maxwell97
1 - 20 of 47 Posts