Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son and I went shooting as we do once a month. Ignore the holes between the targets, those are 22 shots we did with one of my old 22 rifles I had.
Decided to practice shooting with my weak (left hand) For some reason I started with my right hand on the left target (habit) so I then wound up using the right targets for my left hand. 15 ft. (22 holes by rifle are 25 - 35 ft)

Top left target (right hand) - Slightly to the left.
Top Right Target (left hand) more centered but not grouped as tightly.
Bottom left target (right hand) - One stray but centered or a little to the left.
Bottom right target (left hand) - Again a little more centered but high.
Center target was right hand only, unsupported by left hand. Left most of my round nose at home in a rush to get out so I used some hollow points. Used my hollow points. No real difference in feel.

Just a little surprised that while the left hand shots where a wider grouping, they were not to the left but more centered, more high or low. More practice required.

Son did good on 22 rifle. He is looking to get a Buck Mark 22. He is talking about something for self defense but doesn't like my Shield 9mm. Somebody told him a 22 could be ok for home defense. (really?) He is talking maybe a 38 Special.

IMG_4189.jpg

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be trigger placement.
I will look into dominant eye.
I know my sight is better in my left eye but that is the eye they operated on for exotropia. (eyes crossed out instead of in). Cut the muscles in the out part of the left eye and put an adjustable knot in. Next morning sat me in a chair, ripped the patch off and as I got seasick with two eyes not pointed the same direction anymore, they put a drop of Novocain on the eye and took some looonng tweezers and tied the knot off. Don't move? If I could have I would have been 10 miles down the road. Gradually it went to normal. Only side effect today is I cannot turn my eyes to the left as well as the right so when I change lanes to the left, I turn my head a little whereas if looking to the right, I don't (or as much).

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
I suspect you shot better left handed for the same reason I always shoot better at night than day when qualifying on the BLET course. Concentration.:wink:
THIS!

Since my "weak hand" is not my shooting hand and I can no longer even try to shoot one handed if I want to keep the ability to shoot at all, I have to speak from past experience. Yes, I always was more accurate shooting off handed and the simple reason was concentration. And canting the gun a little bit.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I can shoot with either hand if I have to but I certainly am not better with my week hand. Not even close. But I can keep my shots in the center of mass.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I'm left eye dominant, so that might play into my ability to shoot slightly better weak handed. I have very little feeling in my strong hand trigger finger as well, so that might also be a part of it.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Maybe you suffer from multiple personality disorder and your other self is left handed and out shot you......:blink:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I definitely shoot better with my strong hand (left) than my weak hand but it is slowly improving.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I've rarely shoot with my strong hand, you see I'm a southpaw. If I'm shooting right handed which is 99% of the time [ and carry right side ] I'm shooting from the weak hand side. It's when people think I've gone to the weak hand left side that I'm actually shooting strong hand.

The world will force southpaws to do things right handed if they can get away with it. So, the world has made me ambidextrous for decades. :scratchchin:

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Lefty here too. I shoot and carry predominantly strong hand, practice with the weak hand every session.
Shooting both eyes open, there is little difference in accuracy out to about 10 yards where the weak hand falls off a bit.
I truly believe we lefties have some advantages.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
AzQkr, I am dominantly left handed but, as you said, circumstances over the years caused me to become pretty proficient with either hand. I wanted to be a catcher and my parents could not afford a custom mitt so I learned to throw right handed. When I went on the police department I had a real phobia about that open spot between the seat and the cage in my patrol car. What if someone slipped the cuffs and got his/her hand through. I practiced right handed shooting until I became slightly better with it. Like you I don't have a weak hand except trying to twirl spaghetti onto a fork.:gah:,,.....and I can't write right handed.:wink:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
AzQkr, I am dominantly left handed but, as you said, circumstances over the years caused me to become pretty proficient with either hand. I wanted to be a catcher and my parents could not afford a custom mitt so I learned to throw right handed. When I went on the police department I had a real phobia about that open spot between the seat and the cage in my patrol car. What if someone slipped the cuffs and got his/her hand through. I practiced right handed shooting until I became slightly better with it. Like you I don't have a weak hand except trying to twirl spaghetti onto a fork.:gah:,,.....and I can't write right handed.:wink:
I write right handed, eat with a fork left handed, golf right, bat either but more proficient right, throw left handed [ played first base and pitcher positions ], tennis with either hand [ I don't use a back hand but switch the racket to the other hand ] and other things I'm quite adept at ambi use.

Just all messed up due to societal expectations/demands in school.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I write right handed, eat with a fork left handed, golf right, bat either but more proficient right, throw left handed [ played first base and pitcher positions ], tennis with either hand [ I don't use a back hand but switch the racket to the other hand ] and other things I'm quite adept at ambi use.

Just all messed up due to societal expectations/demands in school.
Dang. I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. :tongue:

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
If I tried to do things the way AzQkr describes, my brain would short out and I'd turn into that Patrick Star character on Spongebob. Gotta be handy as hell though..no pun intended.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
If I tried to do things the way AzQkr describes, my brain would short out and I'd turn into that Patrick Star character on Spongebob. Gotta be handy as hell though..no pun intended.
Imagine being forced to do so starting when you're 5 years old. :redface:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts