Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer to shoot outdoors so long as the weather permits. I'd rather have the flexibility to set up my own targets and not be inhibited by distance restrictions. I'm fortunate to have a few outdoor ranges available to me- they are all open, with no "supervision." They are in very rural areas.

When I shoot at these ranges, whether it's pistol, shotgun or rifle (or all of the above), I always keep a loaded handgun on my hip. Even if I'm training with my EDC, I always maintain a full magazine for reloading when I reset my targets, etc...

I'm reminded of the shooters from the 1986 Miami Dade shootout- months prior, the bad guys of the '86 shooting murdered a man shooting at an outdoor range, stole his car and began their bank robbery spree. I live in an area that has plenty of "underground" drug activity and while generally a safe area overall, it's also an easy place to perpetrate criminal activity as it is so rural.

Situational awareness isn't just necessary in public, densely-populated, busy areas. It's necessary wherever and whenever you carry.

·
Registered
20,022 Posts
I understand the concern, but when there is more than one of them, you are probably as good as dead.

The thing is, with all the banter about SA, it's not hard to find a lull in somebody's attention span and exploit it.

But its a good post and reminder just the same.

Reactions: Struckat

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is, with all the banter about SA, it's not hard to find a lull in somebody's attention span and exploit it.
What's "SA?"

Edited- Situational Awareness

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Packs of wild dogs and feral hogs are a genuine concern at our outdoor range. Yes the hogs do come out in daytime. We had one visit a picnic one time. Gramps had his .45 and fortunately did not need it. That was years ago, before I carried always.

Reactions: 2ndunamended

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Packs of wild dogs and feral hogs are a genuine concern at our outdoor range. Yes the hogs do come out in daytime. We had one visit a picnic one time. Gramps had his .45 and fortunately did not need it. That was years ago, before I carried always.
That's a great point. Although most wild animals tend to go away from the sound of gunfire, one never knows when setting up targets or just getting started. I hear lots of wild turkeys where I shoot. They steer well clear...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Another thing to be aware of is after leaving a range (indoor or outdoor) to look for folks who might be tailing you; it's been known for criminals to either follow you home to target you for a burglary, or break into your car if you stop on the way home for a meal.

I always tend to keep in the back of my mind that other folks using the range might be 'shopping', and tend to keep the guns I'm not currently shooting in the range bag and out of sight. I also agree with being armed throughout the session with a reasonable defensive handgun.

Larry

·
Registered
337 Posts
There are some good points here. I too, always keep a loaded holstered concealed firearm on my person no matter what I'm shooting. I usually choose the outdoor lanes @ the local range and in this climate I can almost always wear a jacket, or some other kind of cover garment. I keep the other gun(s)s in the range bag until I'm ready for it. If for no other reason, the lane shelf or counter, is not really that large anyway and can get cluttered quickly. I had not thought about someone scoping me out. I shoot pretty run of the mill handguns but they all go "bang"and function correctly so that could be enough to tempt someone I guess. I never stop after a range session, unless maybe @ a drive thru. I usually head straight home.

·
Premium Member
36,695 Posts
I prefer to shoot outdoors so long as the weather permits. I'd rather have the flexibility to set up my own targets and not be inhibited by distance restrictions. I'm fortunate to have a few outdoor ranges available to me- they are all open, with no "supervision." They are in very rural areas.

When I shoot at these ranges, whether it's pistol, shotgun or rifle (or all of the above), I always keep a loaded handgun on my hip. Even if I'm training with my EDC, I always maintain a full magazine for reloading when I reset my targets, etc...

I'm reminded of the shooters from the 1986 Miami Dade shootout- months prior, the bad guys of the '86 shooting murdered a man shooting at an outdoor range, stole his car and began their bank robbery spree. I live in an area that has plenty of "underground" drug activity and while generally a safe area overall, it's also an easy place to perpetrate criminal activity as it is so rural.

Situational awareness isn't just necessary in public, densely-populated, busy areas. It's necessary wherever and whenever you carry.
Hopefully your preparedness while shooting out there by yourself includes some basic stop-the-bleeding types of first aid gear. You just never know what might happen once bullets start flying.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
That's a great point. Although most wild animals tend to go away from the sound of gunfire, one never knows when setting up targets or just getting started. I hear lots of wild turkeys where I shoot. They steer well clear...
Ooooo, are the turkeys the Rio Grand variety? Or Miriam?

Being isolated like that can really make you think. Gman is right, if they wanna get you they will. Maybe get a partner to watch you back?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ooooo, are the turkeys the Rio Grand variety? Or Miriam?

Being isolated like that can really make you think. Gman is right, if they wanna get you they will. Maybe get a partner to watch you back?
Having someone to watch your back under those circumstances is most definitely a good idea!

Reactions: 2ndunamended

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hopefully your preparedness while shooting out there by yourself includes some basic stop-the-bleeding types of first aid gear. You just never know what might happen once bullets start flying.
That's what tampons are for. Whenever I sense a sissy VIP smartass anywhere near the range, I just send out my dogs to tear off their skirt.

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having someone to watch your back under those circumstances is most definitely a good idea!

I'm never concerned. I'm just prepared.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts