1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Looking at the picture of that vessel, it doesn't look like it had much buoyancy, if any. If I had to guess, and it's only a guess, they put it in water deeper than it could float and it immediately went to the bottom.

·
Registered
36,253 Posts
My son was initially assigned to those after boot camp. I took one look and saw what a death trap they are. They should have just enclosed it and made a short-range submersible out of it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Amtracks...Growing up on/around Camp Pendleton they were common sights along the coast. Slow and low in the water.

I remember once being out on the water near Lower Trestles in San Onofre and drifting south in the morning fog.
Out of the fog comes an Amtrak....I had to paddle fast to get out of the way.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
RIP Marine! Prayers for the rest and their families!

Reactions: Pete63 and airslot

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Prayers for the families and for the Corps.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Those are the same "amtracs" the Corps was using 45 years ago.

They do fine UNLESS the watertight integrity is compromised.

I'm hoping the 8 missing are found OK, but I'm not optimistic.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sad to lose brave Marines in such an avoidable mishap! This was poor operational risk management...period. I rag on the devil dogs for their crayon eating, but honestly respect all I've met. At the very least, it's a waste of talent and skill. At worst, command failure. I pray we find the cause and Learn to avoid it.

·
Premium Member
4,904 Posts
Read the search for survivors was called off. These men died in service to their country. We owe you marines and can only repay by honoring your sacrifice and cherishing the freedom and liberty provided by your generous and faithful blanket of protection. Semper Fi.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
How sad. RIP 🙏

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like the vehicle has been found with the missing Marines and sailor.
Glad they got the bodies back for the families. So, so sad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts