Defensive Carry banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Sounds like we need to change FOPA to do what it is supposed to do, instead of this garbage they're pulling now...
I think we need to start by going back to the original FOPA, the Second Amendment, and making the Federal government start doing its job by enforcing it.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
She didnt break any laws. Illegal Unconstitutionally passed laws are null and void. Thats the bottom line of it all.

Yep shes arrested charged under bogus laws and may spend time convicted of breaking those laws.
In reality the ones passing those laws and upholding those laws are the ones that should be arrested and tried and jailed if not hung.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Before you guys throw her under the bus, she *should* have been protected under FOPA, but NYC/NYS flaunts this Federal law without consequence.
Nope- FOPA doesn't apply because she stopped and stayed in NY to visit with her husband.

This is another example of why we need national reciprocity and a Federal 2A Protection Act.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
She didnt break any laws. Illegal Unconstitutionally passed laws are null and void. Thats the bottom line of it all.

Yep shes arrested charged under bogus laws and may spend time convicted of breaking those laws.
In reality the ones passing those laws and upholding those laws are the ones that should be arrested and tried and jailed if not hung.
This is getting dreary. You know you can keep repeating your mantra all you want, but meanwhile
she was legally arrested for violating a law which has been on the books for many years, and
which has not been overturned by the courts. This is the real deal; your thoughts on
"illegal and unconstitutional" don't really count much and won't help her.

They'll cut a deal, as NYC often does in these instances, and she will be a lot poorer, a lot wiser,
and rather traumatized. That's the real world; not the imaginings of a constitutional nirvana.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Does ignorance of our Constitution excuse the enforcement of this invalid law?

How do you like them apples? :danceban:
Well you seem to think that all the many judges and justices who have examined NY's laws
over several decades are ignorant of the constitution. Don't think so. If a person wants to stay
safe as a gun owner they need to understand and acknowledge the laws that pertain to them,
and not pretend they don't exist or are somehow inapplicable because of falsely held interpretations
of the constitution or misguided beliefs about the authority of the courts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
"By NY Law if you are traveling across the state and can legally possess the firearm where you started and where you are going you can transport it as above"

but if she was staying in Connecticut or jersey and was just passing through new york on her way home then she was within her legal rights

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Well you seem to think that all the many judges and justices who have examined NY's laws
over several decades are ignorant of the constitution.
The only legitimacy that NY has is that which others are willing to grant them. I say it is time put to a stop to their nonsense.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
over several decades are ignorant of the constitution. Don't think so. If a person wants to stay
safe as a gun owner they need to understand and acknowledge the laws that pertain to them,
and not pretend they don't exist or are somehow inapplicable because of falsely held interpretations
of the constitution or misguided beliefs about the authority of the courts.
I think what you're really saying is that outlawing the RKBA is perfectly constitutional, if the Supreme Court says so, or if nobody brings a case to the court. If that's the kind of fog that you prefer to live in, I certainly can't stop you. I prefer to believe that words have meaning and Truth never changes.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
This is getting dreary. You know you can keep repeating your mantra all you want, but meanwhile
she was legally arrested for violating a law which has been on the books for many years, and
which has not been overturned by the courts. This is the real deal; your thoughts on
"illegal and unconstitutional" don't really count much and won't help her.

They'll cut a deal, as NYC often does in these instances, and she will be a lot poorer, a lot wiser,
and rather traumatized. That's the real world; not the imaginings of a constitutional nirvana.
Didnt say it would help her. I said its criminal. Im fully aware how the real world works. Murder, rape, etc.

The laws shes arrested under are just as criminal as those things. But I guess if the SC said murder was ok, wait they did, oh well. We should all just keep our mouth shut and allow this rush to obeying tyrants continue without uttering a word. Because its wrong and illegal and unconstitutional should not matter at all. Sorry thats your real world not mine.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
I think what you're really saying is that outlawing the RKBA is perfectly constitutional, if the Supreme Court says so, or if nobody brings a case to the court. If that's the kind of fog that you prefer to live in, I certainly can't stop you. I prefer to believe that words have meaning and Truth never changes.
What I'm saying is she is in deep doo because she didn't follow the law, and no amount
of complaining about judges, courts, the abstract or real meaning of constitutional provisions will
help her.

There is a real world and there is another one. In the other one income taxes are unconstitutional
and gun laws don't have to be obeyed. We all need to know the difference between the two.

There's a reason Gary S. kindly gives us his web site and NRA posts the laws of different states.
That reason is that when the cuffs are on your hands, explaining or complaining about your view of the meaning
of the 2A won't do you any good; or if it does, it will take 10 years till you get relief from a sympathetic
court.

Meanwhile, you'll be out more money than you can ever earn, maybe suffer a heart attack or
a stroke, and spend a few nights or more with people you never thought you'd meet and had no
desire to know intimately.

There is a real world, with real DAs, and real judges, and enforceable interpretations of 2A,
and real jails. Anyone who carries needs to understand that.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
What I'm saying is she is in deep doo because she didn't follow the law, and no amount
of complaining about judges, courts, the abstract or real meaning of constitutional provisions will
help her.

There is a real world and there is another one. In the other one income taxes are unconstitutional
and gun laws don't have to be obeyed. We all need to know the difference between the two.

There's a reason Gary S. kindly gives us his web site and NRA posts the laws of different states.
That reason is that when the cuffs are on your hands, explaining or complaining about your view of the meaning
of the 2A won't do you any good; or if it does, it will take 10 years till you get relief from a sympathetic
court.

Meanwhile, you'll be out more money than you can ever earn, maybe suffer a heart attack or
a stroke, and spend a few nights or more with people you never thought you'd meet and had no
desire to know intimately.

There is a real world, with real DAs, and real judges, and enforceable interpretations of 2A,
and real jails. Anyone who carries needs to understand that.

Nobody is saying this stuff isnt real. Wish it wasnt cuz its a nightmare but of course its real. This woman did what to the best of her ability to obey this junk and still got creamed. Shes not a criminal. No intent just a mistake.

What we are saying is it isnt right and sooner or later it cant be allowed to continue and wont be. And that it was done illegally to start with.

Not that we somehow dont realize its happening or is the way it is. But it is wrong. And it has to be stopped somehow.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
@hopyard, I repeat, NY can only pull off what you say if they are allowed to by our recognition of their authority. Power lies where men believe it lies.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Nobody is saying this stuff isnt real. Wish it wasnt cuz its a nightmare but of course its real. This woman did what to the best of her ability to obey this junk and still got creamed. Shes not a criminal. No intent just a mistake.

What we are saying is it isnt right and sooner or later it cant be allowed to continue and wont be. And that it was done illegally to start with.

Not that we somehow dont realize its happening or is the way it is. But it is wrong. And it has to be stopped somehow.
Ghost, I agree with every word you wrote except the part in bold. For now, until Congress or the
2nd Circuit, or USSC (or maybe even NY itself) changes the law, it is legal. And because it is
legal, her money spent on bond will be real, her time in jail will be real, her legal fees will be real,
and she won't have any recompense from the consequences of her error.

I'm sympathetic to her, to a certain point. She obviously isn't what we normally think of as
a criminal, and likely she had no clue that staying over night in NYC, or for that matter CT or NJ
where her license isn't recognized, would cause her so much trouble.

We haven't had any posts from HitchinNY (Hitchking) for quite some time, but last this sort of thing
happened he posted that a fairly lenient deal was reached. Let's hope this lady gets one too.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
but unless the Federal Government steps in and starts actually supporting the Second Amendment as it is written,
Surely this was meant as sarcasm or humor. We're not going to see this happen again until after the revolution.

Reactions: Ghost1958

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Moral of the story..... If you want to get a firearm out of NYC contact the criminal elements for instructions on how to do without getting caught..... :image035:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Moral of the story..... If you want to get a firearm out of NYC contact the criminal elements for instructions on how to do without getting caught..... :image035:
Some entrepreneur should start a rental business. Pick up and drop off just outside the airport and whole issue would go away.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The only legitimacy that NY has is that which others are willing to grant them. I say it is time put to a stop to their nonsense.
Hmm... My only thought would be to elect a constitutionalist as president. Someone who would prune the government weed back down to its roots, and put Liberty back in the game...

Perhaps Hillary? :rofl:

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Hmm... My only thought would be to elect a constitutionalist as president. Someone who would prune the government weed back down to its roots, and put Liberty back in the game...
That would still leave a great percentage of the anti-constitutionalists in Congress.

Having a "dear leader" actually hold the Constitution dear, again, would be nice, if only for the refusal to sign anything that violates all we're about. But, IMO, so long as Congress remains heavily in the anti-liberty, anti-Constitution camp, we might well remain doomed to perdition as a republic.

We need a good spring cleaning. The time for that has long passed.

·
Registered
659 Posts
That said, she did commit a criminal offense and a phone call or two before she took a flight to a city that has very strict gun laws inside a state that has very strict gun laws, would have probably netted her enough information to give her the basic knowledge she needed to not break the law.
So, let's say someone is going to NY for some sort of shooting competition and NYC is the closest big airport. How would you get your guns there for the competition? FFL to a gun shop outside NYC?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts