Defensive Carry banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I'd avoid that state at all cost. Too much like a police state for my taste. Blooming idiot and the other clown should be tarred and feathered and run outta town IMO. I'd say it's enter at your own risk, but it is a shame how some folks are being treated by that state. It's almost like being in a foreign country or something.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
So, let's say someone is going to NY for some sort of shooting competition and NYC is the closest big airport. How would you get your guns there for the competition? FFL to a gun shop outside NYC?
I honestly couldn't say. I just wouldn't plan on going there but if you had to go, I'd say that you'd want to call the NYC airport authority or the Sheriff's department and seek guidance on how to transport your firearm. You may be able to simply mail your ammunition to yourself and then mail it back home if you return with any (or buy it there if it's available); but that's just a guess and I wouldn't bet my freedom on a guess.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I have an aquantance who went through something similar about 4 years ago. He carrried his weapon on a bus trip with the senior citizens of his church up to NYC. He freaked when he saw the metal detector at the statue of liberty and stashed his loaded weapon in a bush. Someone saw him and turned him in. It cost him about $5,000.00 in legal fees, the gun, and a weekend in the pokey. The city did allow him to testify through video conference to save him the travel expenses.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
So, let's say someone is going to NY for some sort of shooting competition and NYC is the closest big airport. How would you get your guns there for the competition? FFL to a gun shop outside NYC?
Drive or skip the competition.

I have friends who hunt in Africa. They will not even connect through NYC on their trips and they do not even take possesion of the rifles in the airport. They also skip the UK because hunters' rifles tend to end up broken upon arrival.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Until NYC is erased from the state of NY, I'll not set foot in NY. It just isn't worth it, IMO, for any number of reasons, interesting in many regards though some of the sights in NYC might be. Plenty of other places to see, things to do. But that's just me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yup. Personally, I'll never set foot in that state until it is free again. But if you have to travel through there, as well as any other state that is fashioning itself after North Korea, you need to be aware that you forego your personal liberties when you go there and therefore need to plan accordingly.
Agreed. This is me while traveling into/through The People's Republic of Illinois. Leave guns/ammo/liberties at home.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
To avoid an issue like the lady's in the article, just don't travel with any ammunition. Buy it when you get there. Keep the gun in a locked container in your checked bag.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
You read the law first, because NY has a provision for that.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Surely this was meant as sarcasm or humor. We're not going to see this happen again until after the revolution.
[sarcasm] yes yes yes--- Syria, Libya and Egypt are such nice peaceful well run places after
their revolutions. [/sarcasm]

I really hate reading all the posts about "revolutions." At the ballot of course. But I strongly suspect
some participants here have something else in mind, and I dread that. There's nothing patriotic about
it and no good can come of it. The only thing that would be achieved is destruction of ourselves.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
[sarcasm] yes yes yes--- Syria, Libya and Egypt are such nice peaceful well run places after
their revolutions. [/sarcasm]

I really hate reading all the posts about "revolutions." At the ballot of course. But I strongly suspect
some participants here have something else in mind, and I dread that. There's nothing patriotic about
it and no good can come of it. The only thing that would be achieved is destruction of ourselves.
Those places weren't exactly peaceful well run places to begin with.

And I disagree that there's nothing patriotic about it. Revolution is how the country gained its independence, and the 2nd amendment was included to enable the people to keep their government in check, and upon such time that legal and political resources have been exhausted, remove those that would seek to destroy our liberties.

Key words: "legal and political resources have been exhausted". I believe that is a ways off yet.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Well then some groups of beings had better start pulling their heads out of the dark smelly places because this sure feels to be where this nation is heading.
And crap like this and other nonsense in Yankee-dom like NY, and CT isn't helping one bit.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd have to agree this is outrageous, but you also have to use common sense. You are travelling, with a weapon and ammunition that is legal to possess where you live, but you are travelling to NYC, home of Bloomberg and Schumer and the draconian anti-gun laws that follow these boobs. C'mon....some little bell had to go off that this might not be a good idea, and at the end of the day she was unfortunately charged accodingly. Hopefully there is a judge there that will dismiss the charge or even better that a state's attorney may choose not to prosecute given the circumstances. I'd be reluctant to take a gun there, even as a LEO. Unfortunately, they make the rules for their city and state, and the folks in NY keep electing these morons. This is one of many reasons I'd never go to NY.

·
Registered
43,585 Posts
This is one of many reasons I'd never go to NY.
My wife says she'd like to take in a Broadway show. I tell her to enjoy the trip. Ain't going, can't make me.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

She's a law abiding citizen, who now has a felony charge against her... and she is under indictment. Until this is plead down to a misdemeanor, she is ineligible to purchase a firearm... because under the law, she is guilty until proven innocent (as regards the NICS check and the FFL form).

Someone was asking if we need a solution to keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill... And this is the solution we have to keep guns out of the hands of "criminals."

There.

Is.

A.

Disconnect.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

She's a law abiding citizen, who now has a felony charge against her... and she is under indictment. Until this is plead down to a misdemeanor, she is ineligible to purchase a firearm... because under the law, she is guilty until proven innocent (as regards the NICS check and the FFL form).

Someone was asking if we need a solution to keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill... And this is the solution we have to keep guns out of the hands of "criminals."

There.

Is.

A.

Disconnect.
She WAS law abiding until she brought a gun to NY, without due consideration of how FOPA
actually works, and what NY laws are.

There are lots of people in jail who were law abiding until they weren't. And yes, sometimes
the outcomes are ridiculous, if not almost downright cruel. A few weeks back I saw a story
of a man charged for Securities violations because of something innocent he innocently posted on
a bulletin board (not internet, the kind that sits near a park or local public place). He found himself
charged with selling securities without a license. He wasn't, but he was according to the letter of the
law.

There are many places among our tens of thousands of laws where the innocent can be
trapped. But, let's be honest, she contributed to her problem. You have to live in a cave to
not know about NY's strict laws and Gary S. does one heck of a job helping everyone
find the info they need. You just have to be minimally aware enough to look.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
And this comes right back to what I've been driving at in several posts in this thread: that We The People need to make it absolutely and abundantly clear, in small enough words for even a NYC simpleton to comprehend that we won't tolerate this sort of nonsense from them any longer and messing with our citizens will meet with repercussions. It is time that they either get in line, or be put line.

To put it more bluntly, I don't care about NY or their damn laws and I certainly don't recognize them as having one iota of sovereignty. I also doubt most of the rest of the country does either. And I am certainly sick of having gun laws dictated to me by a NY dictator.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
And this comes right back to what I've been driving at in several posts in this thread: that We The People need to make it absolutely and abundantly clear, in small enough words for even a NYC simpleton to comprehend that we won't tolerate this sort of nonsense from them any longer and messing with our citizens will meet with repercussions. It is time that they either get in line, or be put line.

To put it more bluntly, I don't care about NY or their damn laws and I certainly don't recognize them as having one iota of sovereignty. I also doubt most of the rest of the country does either. And I am certainly sick of having gun laws dictated to me by a NY dictator.
Uh, really? I'm fine with abolishing the 10th and doing away with state's rights, but since
N Y is a state and has been from the start, I hardly see why they should be preferentially
denied their deserved status as a sovereign state. They have as much right to run their own
state their way as Oregon does.

The issue isn't sovereignty. It is failure of Uncle to enforce 2A against the states. It is also
failure of our Supremes to define the limits of constitutionally permissible regulation, and the failure
of Congress to do it before The Supremes legislate from the bench.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts