Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this will strike some interesting opinions, and hopefully not start any fights.

I read on a forum that someone referred to CCW holders as paranoid. The person to whom the reference was made did seem overly paranoid. Kinda crazy even. I don't stock lots of guns in my house, or keep loaded guns stashed all over my house. I have small kids, and that'd be kinda stupid. Most of the time, I do have a handgun on me, even at home.

Well, what do you think? Are we paranoid, or are we just prepared. And where is the line between the two?

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
I'm prepared but acknowledge the fact that there are a small percentage of people out there that are paranoid and also have CCW permits. I expect that it is this very small percentage that invariably show up in the CCW statistics getting ther permit revoked....

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
jar - IMO the line between the two is down to perception. Our perception usually would be that we are not paranoid. To the rank outsider, non gunny and non CCW I expect often we do seem paranoid!!

There is tho IMO even in our ranks a middle ground - whereby the majority of us are level headed, prepared folks - who practice and train, within reason. At an extreme end tho may be survivalists who have a small army on hand - and certainly might be seen by us even as decidedly paranoid :wink:

Other end of our scale - folks who are so casual about carry that they may as well not bother - thinking as they do that they can somehow predict when or when not to expect trouble.

So let us say - ''paranoia is in the eye of the beholder''. It is very relative.

I have mentioned this before - an old buddy back in UK tells me that because I carry - ''You are asking for trouble''! He also thinks I am paranoid as the odds of attack are small. Well that is true but I excercize my option to still remain prepared, against even that low chance prospect. So I do not feel paranoid :smile:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I'm paranoid. I'll even admit it, because being paranoid is good no matter what liberal politicos tell us.

But some people are more paranoid than I am, and others are less.

It should be everyone's right to decide how paranoid they want to be.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
What is that saying? ''I am only paranoid because I know they are out to get me''? :lol:

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Anything can be carried too far and being overly excessive is not good.
I am watchful, careful, aware, & usually always adequately prepared for the majority of possible eventualities.
I honestly don't think the "Boogie~Man" is out to get me though.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I am sure the evil bad guy is out to get somebody (but not specifically me personally, I'm not important enough to have an assassin after me). I just want to be sure that I am not a victim. So, I try to be prepared.
May be that I am paranoid - I don't think overly so.
Personally, my biggest fear isn't of some imagined evil monster -- my biggest fear is that I'll wake up one morning and will have turned into a sheep. I do not want to be a sheep. But, the sheep think I am paranoid because I'm not like them. I carry guns and have big dogs and do not like people close to me that I don't know. My wife and I try to be alert and aware. Works for us.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very basic definition

Paranoid: people with guns and no marksmanship/tactical training
Prepared: those with both

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I am paranoid eough to be prepared! :tongue:

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm not paranoid or afraid (those being the two most common misconceptions of CCW holders by those who just don't get it); I'm aware. I'm aware that I am not invincible and that bad things can happen to good people at any time and in any place. Due to this awareness I choose to be armed as often as possible so as to give myself a fighting chance. Personally I prefer to be aware and considered paranoid by some than to be oblivious and considered easy meat by criminals.

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
I don't think it's paranoid to want the ability to fight back if required, and win. :hand22:

·
Registered
481 Posts
After working law enforcement in a big city department, then moving to several smaller departments, I have seen the crime typical of large inner city environments spreading to all types of communities.

Am I paranoid ?

I don't think so.

Am I prepared ?

I like to think so.

·
Registered
329 Posts
rocky said:
I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Folks

I used to be a newspaper crime reporter. Let me assure you, even in a small county like mine, you aren't paranoid enough.

I recommend that anyone who wants to be oblivious should never attend court on the first day of grand jury. Seeing all the various serious scumbags they lead in to court in handcuffs on various very serious charges, who are then let out on bail, would make any sensible man go right from court to the gun store and buy a case of shotgun shells, ten boxes of 45 acp ammo and a baseball bat.

Oh folks, don't buy a police scanner either, if you don't want to know about all the goblins out there ready to beat you in the head for the money to buy a crack rock or a single oxycontin pill. :yell:

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Very good & highly qualified comments in this thread.
I have also seen a slow "infusion" of more serious type crime creep into my area.
It's mostly all young teen & young adult drug related & theft also related to $$$ needed to get high. And domestic violence also probably related to increased drug use.
Things happen very slow here as we have no bars or beer or liquor sales permitted here. The kids will find their dope anyplace though no matter how "safe" an area is.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Sometimes I think we do not help our own image when we proudly wave the banner of paranoia.....although I IS ONE TOO.
Non-Combat shooters and regular civilians simply do not understand the concept of Condition Yellow or refuse to accept life as a dangerous enterprise. Some learn the hard way and some just refuse to learn and choose to pass blame on government, guns, etc. instead of pointing the finger at themselves for not taking the necessary precautions. They do not want their lifestyles affected by any change and it is easier for their mindset to scoff and say "You are just being paranoid" than accept facts and change accordingly.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Gotta be quick on this one as I should be leaving for work about now. LOL!

Here goes.

Some might consider me a "survivalist" because I keep plenty of canned food on hand, have a generator, water filtration system and keep 30+ gallons of drinkable water on hand at all times. I have two rifles, two handguns, and a shotty. I also have an alternate method of heating the house if we lose power for an extended period of time (weeks) and am working on getting a wood stove for longer use. (not to mention I like a good wood fire now and then) I will soon have a fuel storage tank I can keep 250-500 gallons of fuel and another one that I could take down to the river and fill with water for the house (toilets, showers etc) I also have a well stocked first aid kit, and a fire extinguisher on hand to.

I don't consider any of this paranoid, just well prepared. We had an ice storm around here a couple of years ago that left a lot of people without power for 2 weeks or more. Fortunately we were not in that group, but it got me to thinking about what would have happened if we had been. I put it on the back burner and eventually forgot about it until Katrina hit N.O. This time I decided to set up our home so we could run for a month with no utilities, or groceries etc.

To some that may be paranoid, and maybe it is, but I doubt they will be complaining if the poop ever does hit the fan and I keep them from starving/dehydrating/freezing to death.

I would suggest that the line between paranoiad and prepared has a lot to do with what you think it is/is not possible you might face at some point in the future.
Am I slightly paranoid, maybe so, but is that any worse than being oblivious? I would say no. At worst, I will end up donating a bunch of food to the salvation army, and wasting some time and money, no harm done. Infact I probably spend more on home insurance. LOL!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts