Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying get some prescription shooting glasses made.. Need some recommendations of brands to look at and what sites to find them.. Also do they need a prescription to make them or do you just by the frames and go to your eye doctor.? What do you do about indoor vs outdoor lenses or sun protection? Anything else I need to know? I have no clue about this.. HELP. Oh BTW lets keep the price reasonable.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
ONe sad fact is that it is VERY expensive to get wrap around prescription glasses. IF you can find them. Also the type of aiming you do will be a factor. Using the sights you want to focus on the FRONT sight. Don't need much of an RX to see that. Reading glasses will work. If you are a point shooter then you want to have regular RX glasses. No need for the close up work.

I use graduated Rx glasses and don't have any problem with either. Course I shoot a lot. Not well, but a lot :confused:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ONe sad fact is that it is VERY expensive to get wrap around prescription glasses. IF you can find them. Also the type of aiming you do will be a factor. Using the sights you want to focus on the FRONT sight. Don't need much of an RX to see that. Reading glasses will work. If you are a point shooter then you want to have regular RX glasses. No need for the close up work.

I use graduated Rx glasses and don't have any problem with either. Course I shoot a lot. Not well, but a lot :confused:
I am just looking for some more protection than my regular glasses give on the sides and I will have them put what they call the computer prescription which is about the same as my extended arm looking at the front sight. I may do a bi focal with that on top and reading on bottom.

Reactions: farsidefan1

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
You might want to define what you consider a 'reasonable' price. Most wraparound sports type glasses get fairly pricey so what I would consider reasonable you might consider out to lunch.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might want to define what you consider a 'reasonable' price. Most wraparound sports type glasses get fairly pricey so what I would consider reasonable you might consider out to lunch.
Ok so let's forget that issue for now.. I am not poor but my wife doesn't like what I spend on my guns already.. given the right excuse and can afford most glasses out there.

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
Safety glasses are "regular" frames with side pieces that are made for that particular frame. You get them at any optical dispensing place, take your prescription, have the glasses made to your standards and you have the side pieces to protect your eyes.

I also ALWAYS wear a baseball cap hat when I shoot for additional eye protection- from the top.

I have my shooting glasses ground in the trifocal (computer or handgun distance) only so it keeps the cost down. And it is mandatory to have those glasses made from polycarbonate. No glass. No plastic. My regular glasses have been ground using polycarbonate lenses for years and years. That costs a bit more than glass but I do NOT take chances with my eyes.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Ok so let's forget that issue for now.. I am not poor but my wife doesn't like what I spend on my guns already.. given the right excuse and can afford most glasses out there.
Ok. Have a look here then. This place sells Wiley X Valors with a prescription lens for around $200 for a basic lens to $350 if you want them to transition. You can even specify "shooting" as a sports choice and they'll give you some recommendations for lens types There are plenty of other frame choices but Valors are my daily sunglasses and I love 'em, so that's what I'd get were I the one shopping. Now knowing what prescription sports glasses cost, I'd consider that reasonable but I've had to buy sports glasses for my kid so I'm fairly immune to sticker shock.

As with all prescription glasses, you will need a current prescription from an eye doctor.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Ok. Have a look here then. This place sells Wiley X Valors with a prescription lens for around $200 for a basic lens to $350 if you want them to transition. You can even specify "shooting" as a sports choice and they'll give you some recommendations for lens types There are plenty of other frame choices but Valors are my daily sunglasses and I love 'em, so that's what I'd get were I the one shopping. Now knowing what prescription sports glasses cost, I'd consider that reasonable but I've had to buy sports glasses for my kid so I'm fairly immune to sticker shock.

As with all prescription glasses, you will need a current prescription from an eye doctor.
VERY useful information. Thanks

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Two words: Zenni Optical. If you want spare glasses, garage glasses, or glasses for protection then Zenni is the place to go.

You just need to have your prescription so that you can input that into their system and pick the frames you want and it usually only comes to about $30-40 bucks total. You aren't getting top of the lines stuff, your getting basic frames and basic polycarbonate lenses.

Zenni Optical | Affordable Rx Eyeglasses Online

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I went to the optician at my regular eye Dr.
I wear progressive lens tri-focals.
I had them make a set of glasses with the top and bottom rx switched.
Now I look through the top at my in-focus front sight for handgun.
I look through the bottom (chin up) at the in-focus target for archery.
These are in "aviator-style" frames

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I would just buy a wrap around Shooting glasses that go over your regular glasses. Prescription glasses have to be changed to often in most cases every 2-3 years. I rather spend my money on a new gun or ammo.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
When I had to get glasses (never had them before in my life) at the age of 46 (this year) I ordered replacement lenses for my Oakley Flak Jackets. $200 sunglasses just became $475 sunglasses. Almost all models of Oakley sunglasses meet or exceed the ANSI Z87.1 standard for optical clarity and impact resistance. To be sure your particular model complies, check the product description for exact specifications. Just be aware that although Oakleys are designed to ANSI Z87.1 requirements (or better), they are not officially rated for OSHA standards.

·
Premium Member
8,132 Posts
The safety glasses side shields I have been using for a few years broke where they slide onto the arms of the glasses, so it was time for new ones. These are safety glasses frames with single prescription polycarbonate lenses - as mentioned in my post #6 above.

I just ordered one pair of the B52 Safety Optical side protector pieces for small to medium glasses. It was $6 less to order from Amazon than from the manufacturer web site due to the shipping charge from the manufacturer. According to customer reviews, there are some challenges with putting these on and off of your glasses, so I ordered just one pair to try.

If you have regular glasses with polycarbonate lenses these safety side shields are a great way to turn them into safety glasses, but all brands and styles have different challenges when it comes to putting them on and taking them off of regular glasses.
It will take about 10 days to receive the order because it's not Amazon prime. If I remember I'll write a report on them after I get them and use them a couple of times.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
When I shot high power competition for the sides, to limit bright light and wind effects. I made side shields from 2 dark USGI desert goggle inserts which were plastic. Cut them in an oval shape about 3 inches long. Drilled two holes for the bows on shooting glasses to fit through. Worked great.

Just an FYI , contacts work only if you stay hydrated and don't have wind drying your eyes. Interesting thread as I am in need of some new glasses for shooting too. I'd get LASIX if it wasn't for fear of losing a line of vision, and cost.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
These are basically what I have (though mine are clear). They fit easily over my prescription lenses, and I have no issues shooting or getting brass by my eye (and many casings have tried!).

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
My optometrist (who seemed to be pretty knowledgable) recommended shooting glasses for me as I was using both reading glasses and computer glasses. I found them to be pretty much of zero benefit. I can see the front sight adequately for as good as I shoot (good but not great).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts