Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody wear prescription glasses for shooting?
My daily glasses are trifocals. When I'm at the range, I see and shoot fine.
I've been shooting some IDPA tourneys lately and my reg glasses are hard to transition quickly to different distances.
My wife is in the eyewear business and can get a deal on lenses.

My questions are:

Any particular brand of frames you'd recommend?
I'm thinking the distance needs to range from 5 to 20 yds. I'm hoping they can use a single vision lense to avoid the delay in my ability to transition quickly. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I was having glasses problem with my 2 shooting sports, firearms and archery.
I too wear trifocals.
For handguns, you focus on the front sight, the target is blurry. This had me looking through the lower portion of my glasses. My son was watching me one day and wondered why I was looking at the ceiling as I shot.
For archery, the focus is on the target, the front sight (fiber optic pins) are blurry. This has my chin down as I look through the top of my glasses. Bad archery form.
So I got a pair of bifocal glasses with the prescriptions reversed.
Now my chin is up for a good anchor point and shoulders are back, target is crisp with pins floating for archery.
Doing a "tactical turtle" for defensive handgun drills. Front sight is now a clear white dot over the outline of the target.
The lenses are polycarbonate and an oversized aviator style (like in the 80's).
A big improvement for me in both diciplines.
I still do drills with my everyday glasses too, now that new muscle memory is taking over. Bad things will happen when I'm not wearing my "shooters".

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
I read in American Handgunner magazine about a place in (I think?) Colorado that does specific eyewear for shooters. Sorry, but for the life of me I cannot remember the company name but they were highly recommended. Something like "Shooter Rx" but I'm not sure. Maybe email the editor, Roy Huntington, at [email protected] . He's a good guy and answers quickly. He might have the info from the issue of a few months ago.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ask around on local gun forums, gun club mailing lists, etc. for eye doctors that specialize on glasses for shooters.

And remember that while the specialized glasses are fine for competition and fun at the range, you should use your regular glasses (+ impact-resistant glasses over them) when do practice for defensive gun use. After all, an attacker won't stop and wait for you to put on your special shooting glasses. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
How about asking your eye Dr. He may or not be a sport shooter but he is highly trained an can fill the RX for you. Sit an show him your shooting stance minus the pistol where it can be measured out an go over the distances you require an he'll take care of the rest. Worked for me although my Dr. had some experience as a young boy shooting that he could relate. You won't be the first nor the last that needs specs for your sport.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
How about asking your eye Dr. He may or not be a sport shooter but he is highly trained an can fill the RX for you. Sit an show him your shooting stance minus the pistol where it can be measured out an go over the distances you require an he'll take care of the rest. Worked for me although my Dr. had some experience as a young boy shooting that he could relate. You won't be the first nor the last that needs specs for your sport.
This is what I did. Even though the Dr is not a shooter He understood what I needed and was able to help me out! DR

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I wear Prescription sun glasses to shoot with when I'm outside. They are progressive just like my regular glasses. I have no problem with them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
As an Optician I can tell you Rx shooting glasses are available. The question is what Rx to use? Under age 40-45 use your distance Rx. If your over 45 your likely having trouble seeing your sights. This requires a mid range power. Some do well with progressive lenses or trifocals. Many don't, so the remaining option is an Rx that focuses on the sight. The target will be blurry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
As an Optician I can tell you Rx shooting glasses are available. The question is what Rx to use? Under age 40-45 use your distance Rx. If your over 45 your likely having trouble seeing your sights. This requires a mid range power. Some do well with progressive lenses or trifocals. Many don't, so the remaining option is an Rx that focuses on the sight. The target will be blurry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My prescription safety glasses are the trifocal prescription part of my regular glasses - the entire lens is that strength. As Grantspastor says, the target will be blurry at longer distances, but you will be an accurate shooter! And being single strength, polycarbonate, inexpensive safety frames with the side pieces, they didn't cost too much.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Does anybody wear prescription glasses for shooting?
My daily glasses are trifocals. When I'm at the range, I see and shoot fine.
I've been shooting some IDPA tourneys lately and my reg glasses are hard to transition quickly to different distances.
My wife is in the eyewear business and can get a deal on lenses.

My questions are:

Any particular brand of frames you'd recommend?
I'm thinking the distance needs to range from 5 to 20 yds. I'm hoping they can use a single vision lense to avoid the delay in my ability to transition quickly. Does that make sense?
I have eye problems that require I wear contacts. Glasses won't work for me but I have asked about them. What I know is, the lenses should be plastic, not glass. Ordinary prescription glasses with plastic lenses will usually work but are not ANSI approved safety glasses.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Been using my progressive lenses for a few decades. They are as shatterproof and more than most shooting glasses and the frame does not matter. You just do not want something hitting the lenses and shattering it into pieces that fly into your eyes. These days most prescription glasses work just fine. You do not need special frames. Just wear what you always wear.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have Rudy Projects with two pairs of interchangeable prescription lenses, one polarized gray and the other yellow. I like them, but they were not cheap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts