Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited my local big box sporting goods store (Academy) after Christmas and noticed all the "black" rifles they had in stock - this included SIG's and all AR styled gun models - were reduced in price, most by several hundred dollars. Quite a change from this same time last year when an AR or AK was hard to find for almost ANY price! Guns like the SIG that sold for $1,700 in October were reduced to $1,200 and $1,200 S&W M&P 15's were going for about $900. I don't know if it's a local thing, overstocking or what, but it's nice to see prices returning to a pre-Obama level again. :hand10:

Has anyone else noticed the same thing in their neck of the woods lately?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Still high here in Alaska...

·
Registered
17 Posts
over inflated prices are not selling any more.....just a return to normal prices!

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
over inflated prices are not selling any more.....just a return to normal prices!
That's the way I figure it as well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks like the bubble has burst.

I've seen more "black rifles" in inventory at numerous gun shops than I have in over a year.

Prices look a bit more normal, too.

MSAR STG-556 now going for $1,000 used to be $1,700

Basic AR-15's were over $1,000 if you can find them, now in the $800 range and sitting on shelves.

I found a FN FS2000 for $1,600 plus a $250 rebate.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Still high in 2 out of 3 shops here, hoping they will come down, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The ecomony is down and and there is not as much extra money for firearms as a year ago.

Black rifles are important but not as much as food on the table today.

Many defense minded folks have already purchased their black rifle.

I have being thinking of getting a AK and painting it black. lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sliding downwards in CO also...just not enough gunshops to get it down faster..I love economics

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Prices are down here too,and ammo is actually sitting on shelves for more than a few minutes,I've seen 9mm,45 acp,40,357 mag,38 spcl,and some personal defense ammo in walmart

·
Registered
473 Posts
For awhile it was almost impossible to even order one let alone find one in a shop somewhere. I guess prices went up due to supply/demand too.

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
Some of the big chains like Walmart,Academy and gander Mountain will often mark down their guns at the end of the year to make way for the new years models.

I've bought several guns at Walmart over the years this way. I walked by a Mossberg 500 Riot gun that listed at $380 several times. I went there on Dec.30th and that same gun was marked 150 bucks. I asked why and was told that it was inventory reduction and that they had marked all the guns in the display case off.

I went ahead and bought it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I think the same is happening with ammo. Or beginning to.
There's still a shortage at WM, but the gun shop had stacks and stacks of it on the shelves for higher prices.
Even Wolf 9mm FMJ was stickered for $15!!! Why would I pay that when I can get it for less than $12 across town? The other place doesn't have the selection of SD ammo, but they've never failed to have Brown Bear 9mm.

I think the laws of supply and demand are taking effect. After a year or so of frantically buying up ammo and guns in anticipation of new legislation, people are reaching a point they feel they have "enough". Or perhaps they're budgets simply can't sustain any more.
I've watched AmmoEngine off and on for the last few months. I've noticed the cheapest prices on 9mm creep down to .19/round. And .380 has gone from 3 or 4 choices to 10, and the low-end price drop from .60/round to .43.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Generally, I'm seeing prices get a bit more 'normal', but I'm not sure they will ever get down to the old prices. AKs are as cheap as they will likely ever be, but the supply of Soviet-Block AKs is about exhausted. They will likely do the same as the Mosin-Negant M-44s when the supply ran dry: get scarce and expensive. American made AKs will be available, but the price will be high.

ARs are being produces as quickly as possible, and the prices on them may come down a bit more, but it is not an inexpensive rifle to produce, so it cannot go down much more.

We need to face the fact that 'black rifles' are not going to be the bargains that they were. Given the political situation, they are worth whatever we have to pay.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Prices are down here in Houston, too... I noticed they had Monarch brass 9mm FMJ for $7.99 per 50 round box...

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Oh, don't worry folks. Just wait until someone starts talking about outlawing them, then the madness will begin again.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
They are in stock more but in general I saw all gun prices go up in early 2009 and even with the recession I don't seem many gun shops backing down their prices. They've just gotten rid of some of the more insane prices. I have notices some local gun shops ordering in more of the lower end guns versus the higher end ones like Springfield EMP's.

If the recession continues or takes another dip we may see real price relieve but I think it's unlikely. And as someone else said, as soon as the Democrats get guns back in their sights (and they will) it'll continue.

Gideon

1 - 20 of 23 Posts