Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I alternate between a full sized Colt 1911 and and an Officers Model .45. In winter when I'm wearing heavier clothes, and I don't sweat much, I carry the five inch .45. In summer I carry the Officers Model, which is stainless.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Hotelcharlie said:
I alternate between a full sized Colt 1911 and and an Officers Model .45. In winter when I'm wearing heavier clothes, and I don't sweat much, I carry the five inch .45. In summer I carry the Officers Model, which is stainless.
You've echoed my thoughts, although now I sold the stainless 4" so it's full sized, full time now. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
With heavier clothes, fall and winter, I carry my HK USP full size. For warmer or deeper concealment I carry my Taurus PT 140.

·
Registered
868 Posts
When I was able to I carried a full size 1911 with 2 spare magazines. I live in a state where you need to have a reason to carry and could not think of one to renew my license.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Glock 23. In hotter parts of the year Glock 26.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
H&K P7 Series with 3 spare mags, but also carry different weapons SA V10 45 3 spare mags, and several others plus a double stacker Sig 228 K Kote with 2 spare mags I've had for a long time. plus a few different wheel guns for backup guns

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My P14 is about to be retired from the carry rotation. She is a lil heavy for consistent daily carry, but she is getting to retire to a dedicated truck pistol. I have a friend who is looking to get a Thompson .45 with a collapsable stock for his truck gun. My carry pistol will be a Nighthawk Custom Talon.

~A

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Glock 19....if I feel the need for something more I grab the Glock 20

BUG/ Low Threat...Grendel P-10 .380

·
Registered
4 Posts
Currently....

Currently, Primary is an Astra A-75 in .40 carried at 3:30 in a Wild Bill's leather "Paddle." 2 Spare mags.

BUG is a Walther PPK in .380 carried horizontal crossdraw in a custom Vega. 1 Spare mag.

Soon, (as soon as my new holster arrives from KD,) my primary will be my new Ruger P-345. I still have a few hundred more rounds to put through it for "break-in."

·
Registered
388 Posts
Beretta 96D on duty, H&K USPc off duty. Both .40 with 155gr JHP at 1200 fps. They're definately thumpers

·
Registered
79 Posts
1. (90% of the time)-
5" 1911 45ACP, which has been a stainless Kimber TLE II for the past year.
Holster- Sparks Summer Special IWB until I wore it out recently (wore through at the muzzle). Now I'm using a BladeTech IWB, but hope to get another SS soon.
Mag pouch- Horseshoe Leather (Andy Artoonian, England) double mag pouch.
Mags- Wilson-Rogers as spares, Colt stainless in the gun because of it's flat baseplate.
Ammo- CCI-Speer 230 grain Gold Dot.

2. When I don't think I can hide the 1911 as well as I'd like-
Browning HiPower 9mm. I like either C&S safety levers but the newer Browning ambi is OK. I like Heinie sights on them.
Holster- Sparks EX.
Mag pouch- Sparks single.
Ammo- CorBon 115 +P, but will be testing Winchester Ranger 127 very soon.

3. If I don't feel like I can hide the 1911 or BHP well, due to clothing or whatever reason-
HK P7M8.
I've had it for only about two years. I find it an easy gun to shoot very well with. I have shot it less than the others, but shoot it as well as anything I've ever had- especially at speed. When I carry it I feel well-armed, and have carried it when i could carry something "bigger".
Holster- BladeTech for IWB, Alessi CQC/S otherwise. I love that CQC/S. I wish I had one for each pistol I own, whether I ever carry them or not.
Mag pouch- Comp-Tac singles (2), and a home-made mag pouch for pocket use.
Ammo- Same as the HiPowers. CorBon 115 +P, but will try the Winchester Ranger 127 soon.

4. Backup/Spare/Loan-to-the-wife gun (always there regardless of what else is the "main" gun)-
Kahr PM9 Covert 9mm in pocket holster. Ammo same as the other 9mms.

When we got married, my wife and I bought a house that had an old barn on the property. I put a backstop and ventilation in that barn and had an indoor range. I could, and did, shoot nearly everyday.
That's when the carry gun experimenting took off.

I traded for and shot a lot of stuff. I broke a lot of stuff, too. I found out what I liked and didn't like, what felt good and bad, what broke and what (generally) didn't, etc.

Most important- I learned the difference between an accurate gun and an easy-to-hit-with gun.

I went though 1911s of different makes and sizes, HK USP 40, USP 45, Browning HiPowers, Glocks(in 9mm, 40, 10mm, and 45), Berettas, Sig P220, 225, 226, 228, 229, and 239 (in 9mm, 40, 357Sig, and 45), CZ 75s, a Star, Rugers, and Walthers.

I ended up with 1911, HiPower, and P7M8; and the Kahr as backup. I didn't get the P7 or Kahr until after we had moved from there, but I've shot the P7 a lot, and the Kahr a good bit. I'm happy with that group.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Kimber Eclipse Pro II (1911 .45 in 4in.) in a Galco Scout IWB. Usually don't carry extra mags, figure 8 shots can at least get me back to the truck! Having said that, it would really depend on the "area" I was in whether I'd stick a couple extra mags in the pocket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I carry a 45 ACP Wilson Combat CQB Compact (Commander size) year round. On occasion if I need deeper concealment I go with a Springfield Micro Compact (Officer ACP size)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts