Defensive Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what, if anything, it means about a handgun when the firing pin strikes the primer off center, it is still completely on the primer just not perfectly centered like im used to, and how deep the strike should be, also what could be done to correct this problem.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Because it strikes off-center doesn't necessarily mean it's a problem. My K40 strikes off-center and actually leaves more of a slight "strike and smear" than a perfectly round indentation. Some guns strike so hard they almost go clean through the brass, others indentations can very very slight. It seems to depend on the model.

As long as the gun is maintained properly and keeps going BANG, I'm happy. :biggrin:

* Almost forgot to add - if the ammo isn't seated properly, that may be causing off center strikes.

What are you shooting that's the problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Springfield V10 Ultra Compact that I love. Have heard some bad things about them, but my father in-law had one and it was great, and I havent had any problems with mine, was just wondering if the primer strike could lead to trouble eventually. Thanks for the Info, now I dont have to worry about it, I feel the same way you do, if it works when I need it then it doesnt bother me.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
As Betty stated, It's good if it goes bang.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
cmb' - althought the anvil of a boxer primer is centered - it seems to me that the distortion of the outer body/base, even from a slightly off center strike - will succeed in ''shocking'' the priming compound. Well - it must cos we have still got ''bang''!! Almost always.

The strike need not IMO be all that ''deep'' - the prime requirement is shock - energy input, to the sensitive priming compound. Even a light strike may appear deep of course after firing - due to primer set-back against the pin.

·
Premium Member
20,035 Posts
All of mine have their own "signature" in that regard. I have owned guns that struck way off center and was curious about why but never had a problem with it....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts