Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this issue has come up in the past . Was at a 4 hour training class for a Utah permit and the instructor said printing is not concealed carry and you could be charged with a crime . How concealed are you and could you pass this test everytime you go out .And is this statement correct??

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...in Utah or in MD?

...yes, I've been passing that test since about 1965...and you can, too...with a reasonable amount of care...

·
Premium Member
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In both places Maryland and Utah , But they made a point to say if you were printing in Baltimore City ( Maryland ) you are going down on the pavement . I think mainly because of most people can not carry in Maryland .

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
When carrying concealed, I don't print, no matter what size or model gun I am carrying.

Reactions: CDW4ME

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
His blanket statement is wrong. It will depend on the state your in. In VA printing isn't a problem, but then we are a OC state as well. Also, what does he consider printing? A bump under your cover garment? Who's to say it isn't a phone. Most smart phones are bulkier than a gun.

I understand he's trying to make a point, to do the best you can to conceal your weapon, but blanket statements like his do a dis-service to the carrier as well.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Varies by state. If it's an open carry state print as much as you want. But as a CCer, part of the fun is finding ways to stay concealed no matter the attire (hence the safe full of different sized pistols, drawer full of holsters, and the 20 minutes we take to get dressed!).

·
Premium Member
37,056 Posts
In both places Maryland and Utah , But they made a point to say if you were printing in Baltimore City ( Maryland ) you are going down on the pavement . I think mainly because of most people can not carry in Maryland .
If I were printing in Maryland, I would be going to jail, and then to prison for awhile after the pavement slam.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
Technically Maryland is open carry also, but good luck with that.....

Stay covered Welderman...

·
Registered
42,344 Posts
That would depend on how one's state law defines "concealed." Concealed from "ordinary view" is the requirement for FL. Personally, I think the instructor was blowing smoke with his "authority ego."

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you print, you are doing it wrong.... right ?

Only time you would ever be able to see my carry, is if I'm reaching for something high or bending low.

Hell I even tuck my shirt into my holster clip while I ride my 636

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
+1 for "it depends on the state". Know the laws of the state you are in or don't whine when hassled.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
In WI printing is not illegal. Having said that I don't print other than a small bump in my shirt occasionally. My multi tool in its carrier prints more. Have I ever accidently printed? I'm sure I did but don't make a habit of worrying about it. I just try to dress around my carry piece & be as careful as possible.

Reactions: mrkurt

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Printing obviously violates the entire concept and purpose of concealed carry. However, it is not 100% foolproof.

Depending on what you are wearing and the movements you make while CC'ing you could unintentionally reveal the fact that you have a concealed handgun.

For instance, wearing a t-shirt, walking into a store or along a street with a brisk wind in your face (if you carry appendix style like me) could cause you to unintentionally "print". Or a wind at your back (5:00), or one that blows your shirt up above your beltline (3:00).

You get my point.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Further note about printing: if you print and your pistol looks like a cell phone or a wallet, you're not printing. If it looks like something unusual or like a handle, then you're printing. JMO

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think for the most part we are printing a lot less than we think we are. We get dressed look in the mirror and see the printing, but a couple of factors contribute to this. We know that we are carrying and exactly where, to the average person walking down the street unless you had a bright red circle with an arrow pointing towards it they wouldn't notice. If someone does notice a bulge or imprint of some kind they are far more likely to think cell phone then gun if they even give it any thought at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is a list of things that you will learn as you carry more.

You will learn not everyone can see the outline of your gun and not every movement flashes it.
You will learn not everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!"
You will learn that the more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it.
You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts.
You will learn to not tug on the hem of your shirt every 5 minutes to assure yourself you're still concealed.
You will learn to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to.
You will learn to stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place.
You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side.
You will learn to reach overhead with your weak-side hand.
You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend.
You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear.
You will learn to embrace low, to force your counterpart's arms/hands up, away from your piece.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm not concerned about printing, for the most part. The point of concealed carry is to hide your firearm so that others don't know that you are carrying one. If others can't tell what that bump is under your shirt, you are still carrying concealed. Obviously the best way to go about it is to not print, but if it happens, so long as it isn't obvious what the object is, you are still concealed. As others have said, it could be a multi-tool or a phone. Most people won't even notice it anyway.

·
Registered
289 Posts
As a new CCer, I guess I must have missed the memo to be paranoid about carrying. It took me all of about 20 minutes to get over it. I also came to the conclusion that I don't really care much if I inadvertently print. The odds of someone noticing it are pretty much nil, and the odds of it happening in a situation where I may have to use my weapon and tipping off a BG are probably so astronomical that I'm more likely to be abducted by aliens. It helps that I'm in an OC state. I have a constitutional right to OC and am licensed to CC. I figure I'm good either way. I prefer to stay concealed so that the "guns are evil" crowd don't run screaming out the door when I walk into Taco Bell, but I'm not going to obsess about it.

Obviously my attitude would change in a non-OC state. Details matter. The instructor was passing bad info, unless he was referring to the specific course location. Even then, I think there's too much worry about inadvertent printing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts