Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like this billboard.

GunBillboardColorado.JPG

Greeley resident Maureen Brucker, who has worked with Native American organizations and who frequents the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota as an honorary family member, said she thinks the billboards are making light of atrocities the federal government committed against Native Americans.

Read more: Native Americans incensed over pro-gun rights billboard in Colorado | Fox News
Au contraire, Ms. Brucker. I think this billboard makes a very serious point about the atrocities of a government against disarmed people. Let it not happen to any of us again.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I like it too!

·
Premium Member
34,296 Posts
Honorary family member... yeah, right. As one who has spent a fair amount of time on both Pine Ridge and Rosebud, the Rez is about as rough as it gets. I'll keep my guns, and the government can keep its free cheddar.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I love it. Most people in this country have been brainwashed, meaning that they don't understand history or human nature. Here in the USA, we haven't had, or at least not in our lifetimes, "interesting" times like in Bosnia, Syria, the former USSR, or a host of other uprisings/revolutions. People are complacent and think, "But....but.....but....this is America! Those things don't happen here!" Well, guess what? The reason those things haven't happened here is because of the U.S. Constitution. And specifically, the 2nd Amendment.

It is in the nature of some people to dominate over other people. Period. Whether it's a criminal or an oppressive government, it makes no difference. There is a reason why the gun was once called an "equalizer;" it puts a 110-pound woman on par with a 250-pound aggressive would-be rapist.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
The detractors are either themselves revisionist historians or have listened to too many of them. The point is clearly that the Native Americans were lied to and taken advantage of by the US Government. They were disarmed and stuffed onto reservations. Why should we think the government will deal differently with the rest of us if we allow them to lie to us (which they are currently openly doing) and disarm us?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Many of the atrocities committed by the government would not have been solved by firearms. Google online Cobell vs. Norton, et al. It's amazing what was done both to the tribes as a whole and to individual Indians. The worst part of it is that most of it was done by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Most of the senior employees of BIA are Indians and did it to their brothers and sisters. Greed, pure and simple.

But I do like the billboard.

·
Premium Member
34,296 Posts
Many of the atrocities committed by the government would not have been solved by firearms. Google online Cobell vs. Norton, et al. It's amazing what was done both to the tribes as a whole and to individual Indians. The worst part of it is that most of it was done by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Most of the senior employees of BIA are Indians and did it to their brothers and sisters. Greed, pure and simple.

But I do like the billboard.
And which Indians become senior employees of the BIA?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
And which Indians become senior employees of the BIA?
Mike, I worked on that case for over 4 years and almost all of the senior BIA employees were Indians. I can't speak to the bureaucrats in DC, but in all the field offices I went to, and there were many, most of the managers were Indians.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My thanks to the chief

When I was a strong union member although not brainwashed by the masses within, I brought up the subject of gun control at a union meeting. I was the Lone Ranger that day until a Indian that claimed to be a chief of his tribe (which I can not verify) stood up and stated that my statement was not to be laughed at or excused. He stated that here is a white man stating the truth that once the firearms are taken away you will be ruled as the Indians were. That was many years ago but he stood up for me that day and he deserves my thanks. He would have been proud to be depicted on this sign and I stand with him.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i think this billboard is awesome. i saw this the other day somewhere on the internet. makes most people actually stop and think about things like maybe the government doesn't actually do whats best for the people.

·
Registered
358 Posts
While we remember the times the government massacred the defenseless masses.....Don't forget the battles where the masses defended themselves successfully against the government. Shows you how people CAN and WILL defend themselves. One comes to mind, LITTLE BIG HORN and Custer's Last Stand. I am sure there are many others.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Anyone who believes they can be happy and prosperous letting the US Govt take care of them needs to take a closer look at the American Indian.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Greeley resident Maureen Brucker, who has worked with Native American organizations and who frequents the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota as an honorary family member, said she thinks the billboards are making light of atrocities the federal government committed against Native Americans.
Au contraire, Ms. Brucker. I think this billboard makes a very serious point about the atrocities of a government against disarmed people. Let it not happen to any of us again.
Sad, to think that such messages to the citizenry need to come with a clear note of the satire, irony or tongue-in-cheek aspect of the message. And it's incredibly sad to think it'll take an extreme kick in the teeth to open the eyes of a good portion of the citizenry.

I like the message of that sign: that the governing few could easily become as bad as the tyrannical heartless few from decades past, if given only the least amount of wiggle room.

IMO, the failure of the message amongst the not-too-subtle percentage of citizens who mistake its meaning could be corrected by adding an asterisk and an additional statement, such as: "Citizens don't let their governing few disarm them; Subjects do." ...

GunBillboardColorado2.JPG

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Sad, to think that such messages to the citizenry need to come with a clear note of the satire, irony or tongue-in-cheek aspect of the message. And it's incredibly sad to think it'll take an extreme kick in the teeth to open the eyes of a good portion of the citizenry.

I like the message of that sign: that the governing few could easily become as bad as the tyrannical heartless few from decades past, if given only the least amount of wiggle room.

IMO, the failure of the message amongst the not-too-subtle percentage of citizens who mistake its meaning could be corrected by adding an asterisk and an additional statement, such as: "Citizens don't let their governing few disarm them; Subjects do." ...

View attachment 72159
If your tag line was added, then she would be complaining that you were calling Native Americans subjects and that they are not citizens and that you don't know what you are talking about and that she was offended and... Thinking people get the message as is, dolts do not and won't regardless of the amount of explanation provided - which would not fit on a billboard.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
If your tag line was added, then she would be complaining that you were calling Native Americans subjects and that they are not citizens and that you don't know what you are talking about and that she was offended and...
She'd be right: the people of the land became subjects in the land of others, due to their inability to effectively defend themselves.

We have much the same threat being leveled against us all, as citizens.

Of course, the dolts in the country won't get such subtleties, as you point out. Can't win for losin', with that portion of the citizenry. And there are some who'd just prefer to grouse about perceptions, instead of the real message. (Met one today, actually, who ragged on me for a perceived discourtesy when her own discourtesy was neatly stepped over.) Takes all kinds.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Hmmm another use of the 1st in defense of the 2nd, and someone gets offended. Grow up people!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
"Greeley resident Maureen Brucker, who has worked with Native American organizations and who frequents the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota as an honorary family member, said she thinks the billboards are making light of atrocities the federal government committed against Native Americans."

Ok, but what do the Native American's think? I don't particularly care about the rantings of a wannabe, but I'm sure the residents of the reservation would have some insightful opinions on the matter.

Personally I love the sign. I think that it highlights, to anyone with the sense to read it correctly, that the government is all too willing to encroach on our rights to further their agenda and offers real-world proof of that in it's imagery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts