Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was the winning bidder for two auctions on Gunbroker.com recently. One for a G26 and one for a G19. The G26 is waiting at my FFL dealer for me to come and git it. I was waiting for the G19 to show up so I could just do everything for both guns at the same time.

The seller of the G26 was great. Emails with updates, I called him once to confirm some info and he answered his phone. No problems with him at all. The guy selling the G19 on the other hand is completely different. I won the auction on July 11. I have gotten one email from him and that was in response to me telling him that the money order was waiting for him to pick it up in his PO box after it had sat there for 2 days. He said he was picking it up and that he would ship it and send me the tracking info. No tracking info was sent and no gun has shown up at my FFL dealer. I have sent emails, called the number and texted the other number I have with no responses. Honestly starting to feel like I have been ripped off.

Other than waiting the 30 days to file a fraud report with Gunbroker and then get back $400 of the $500 I spent for this, what other options do I have? Drive to Lees Summit MO and knock on this guys door? (Yes, I have his home address, I am fairly good that finding that kind of info)

Any suggestions for getting this guy off his butt and sending me my gun would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Not other than going through Gunbroker, have you contacted them? If he is a FFL dealer you can threaten to go to the ATF, if it is a private sale then I don't know what options you have other than Gunbroker

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Did the seller have the G19 at an FFL prior to posting the ad on GB? Or, is it in the seller's hands and, very possibly, this could be a scam?

Doesn't do you much good, now, if the gun wasn't confirmed at the outset as being at the FFL awaiting completion of the auction.

If through GB, I believe your basic recourse is through GB. If you know details about the person, you could sue for nonperformance on a contract, but that gets sticky and expensive in time/effort. You do know his address and contact info, so that's a point in your favor, in terms of being able to have further recourse.

Unknown, if with a M.O. there is any option to "stop payment" as there is with a cashier's check. Isn't, IIRC. Might double-check with the issuing company.

My condolences, if this turns out to be a fraud. It has only been a week or so, so it might well be what the seller claims at this point. But, as you say, it's not looking good.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not other than going through Gunbroker, have you contacted them? If he is a FFL dealer you can threaten to go to the ATF, if it is a private sale then I don't know what options you have other than Gunbroker
Yes he is an FFL dealer. This is his site.
AM Firearm Broker
So I guess I could contact the ATF. I wouldn't do it this early in the process though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might be able to put a stop payment on the MO. Other than that contact GB or threaten the guy with the ATF....

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
chances are he is waiting to the money order to clear which is normally a five business day process at minimum. Today, fraudulent money orders and cashiers checks are all too common
and they no longer are considered instant cash as they were 20 years ago. I would take a deep breath and deal with this next week as its only been 8 days?? If the guy is an FFL, he has
way too much to lose by jerking you around....for too long anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I feel for you Mike... It sounds like you have a personality a lot like mine; you keep everything wired pretty tight and therefore expect others to respond in kind. Sadly, at least for me, I often find that it just doesn't work that way.

Here's my take on it; the guy is legit, he's just lazy or laid back to the point where his clock works differently than yours. He's probably avoiding you because you are oil to his water. He's gonna get to it when he's ready and he doesn't need some crazy, over anxious "client" bothering him (I'm not saying you are, I'm saying that's what he's thinking). It's been 8 days since the auction ended; he's probably not used to seeing payments for most auctions in 9 days, much less turning the check around and shipping in that time frame. There's also the possibility that he's just overly cautious and wants to be 100% certain that the MO is legit, so he's waiting for the bank to clear it.

Personally, if it were me, I'd wait until next Friday before I wasted any energy contacting him. It'll only frustrate you and probably cause him to delay even longer if you try and ride him over it. If he hasn't made good a couple of weeks after the auction closes, then you have some legitimate reason to start thinking about contacting Gunbroker or the ATF, or whomever.

I hate dealing with folks like that, but I've come to accept it's just as much my personality that causes me frustration as it is theirs, so I always try to distance myself just a little when I do transactions like that because I just expect that most folks will not be as expedient and organized as I like to be for myself.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I agree with Zonker on this one. I would not be doing anything drastic. If you sent it out on the 11th and as slow as the mail is they might not have gotten it until the 16th and might not have taken the check to the bank until the 17th and the bank usually tells me to wait 2 or 3 days to make sure it clears before I send any product out when I sell things on ebay.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with Zonker on this one. I would not be doing anything drastic. If you sent it out on the 11th and as slow as the mail is they might not have gotten it until the 16th and might not have taken the check to the bank until the 17th and the bank usually tells me to wait 2 or 3 days to make sure it clears before I send any product out when I sell things on ebay.
I sent the Postal Money Order next day mail. I got the confirmation the next morning that it was in his PO box waiting for him to pick it up. It took him days to go pick it up despite the fact that I emailed him and told him his $500 was sitting in his PO box waiting for him to pick it up.

Well, I found an interesting way to get his attention. I punched his address into Google Earth and then took a screen shot of his house on the street view. I then attached the picture to an email and sent the email to him simply asking if this is where I would need to go to speak to him. I sent the email and he called me 4 minutes after I sent it.

He claims he is just very busy and that he didn't get my FFL guys info, which is BS and in fact seems to be something he claims regularly when I really dug through his feedback on Gunbroker, and that since my FFL guy faxed it to him, he doesn't use fax anymore, even though his fax number is listed on his supposedly new website, and asked that my FFL guy email his info to him. Which he just did. He says he will ship the gun today and I should have it by Tuesday.

We'll see.....

·
Registered
695 Posts
I sent the Postal Money Order next day mail. I got the confirmation the next morning that it was in his PO box waiting for him to pick it up. It took him days to go pick it up despite the fact that I emailed him and told him his $500 was sitting in his PO box waiting for him to pick it up.

Well, I found an interesting way to get his attention. I punched his address into Google Earth and then took a screen shot of his house on the street view. I then attached the picture to an email and sent the email to him simply asking if this is where I would need to go to speak to him. I sent the email and he called me 4 minutes after I sent it.

He claims he is just very busy and that he didn't get my FFL guys info, which is BS and in fact seems to be something he claims regularly when I really dug through his feedback on Gunbroker, and that since my FFL guy faxed it to him, he doesn't use fax anymore, even though his fax number is listed on his supposedly new website, and asked that my FFL guy email his info to him. Which he just did. He says he will ship the gun today and I should have it by Tuesday.

We'll see.....
You sir, win the internet.

·
8,501 Posts
I feel for you Mike... It sounds like you have a personality a lot like mine; you keep everything wired pretty tight and therefore expect others to respond in kind. Sadly, at least for me, I often find that it just doesn't work that way.

Here's my take on it; the guy is legit, he's just lazy or laid back to the point where his clock works differently than yours. He's probably avoiding you because you are oil to his water. He's gonna get to it when he's ready and he doesn't need some crazy, over anxious "client" bothering him (I'm not saying you are, I'm saying that's what he's thinking). It's been 8 days since the auction ended; he's probably not used to seeing payments for most auctions in 9 days, much less turning the check around and shipping in that time frame. There's also the possibility that he's just overly cautious and wants to be 100% certain that the MO is legit, so he's waiting for the bank to clear it.

Personally, if it were me, I'd wait until next Friday before I wasted any energy contacting him. It'll only frustrate you and probably cause him to delay even longer if you try and ride him over it. If he hasn't made good a couple of weeks after the auction closes, then you have some legitimate reason to start thinking about contacting Gunbroker or the ATF, or whomever.

I hate dealing with folks like that, but I've come to accept it's just as much my personality that causes me frustration as it is theirs, so I always try to distance myself just a little when I do transactions like that because I just expect that most folks will not be as expedient and organized as I like to be for myself.
This ^^^^^. Be patient. His web site looks good but he's probably a one man show. Maybe two or three employees at the most. His wife may have gone into labor or he may have crashed his bicycle. give it a few more days (like Tex said) and by next Friday start going through gunbroker to get your money back.

ETA: Or just do what you did. : )

Reactions: TX expat

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Nice Move Mike

·
Registered
2,968 Posts

We'll see.....
It sounds to me like you should have read the feedback for this guy before you purchased the gun from him. Another problem I have is how much money did you save from buying the gun off from gunbroker and then paying the ffl fee instead of buying it directly from the LGS. It helps to support local businesses.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds to me like you should have read the feedback for this guy before you purchased the gun from him. Another problem I have is how much money did you save from buying the gun off from gunbroker and then paying the ffl fee instead of buying it directly from the LGS. It helps to support local businesses.
I did read his feedback, maybe not closely enough though. He has only a few negative feedback reports but they all say pretty much the same thing, exactly what I am going through..

I would have gladly supported my LGS but none of them had or said they could get a G19. Or a G26 for that matter. Which is why I went to Gunbroker in the first place.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts

We'll see.....
Google Earth is da bomb!! Bet that woke him up. :35:

Don't feel bad Mike, I had a similar experience dealing with both Buds and Davidsons. Yeah, they eventually got it all worked out, but I was not a happy camper
and will NEVER do business with Davidsons again.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
If I was a business that did anything online I would be mighty sure to do it right. With internet searches being what they are, bad reports show up quick. I think you handled it perfectly. There is NO excuse for him to wait this long.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Hey Mike - wanna work as a Private Detective with me? I could use the help, lol. You did a good job of tracking him down & cajoling him to get off the stick. A devious mind just like mine, lol. Threaten with a non-threat.

Reactions: perfection

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
This ^^^^^. Be patient. His web site looks good but he's probably a one man show. Maybe two or three employees at the most. His wife may have gone into labor or he may have crashed his bicycle. give it a few more days (like Tex said) and by next Friday start going through gunbroker to get your money back.
Yup. Very likely, this is all it is. Particularly if the only negative feedback on GB is for "delays" type grievances from buyers. BTDT, once, on a non-firearm product myself (with a one-man-shop type vendor). Nice guy, but he had a heart attack and divorce all in the same year, which put a crimp in his productivity. Bummer, but understandable. Until you actually hear from your guy, it's hard to know what's what, certainly after only 1wk.

As grandma always said: patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
chances are he is waiting to the money order to clear which is normally a five business day process at minimum. Today, fraudulent money orders and cashiers checks are all too common
and they no longer are considered instant cash as they were 20 years ago. I would take a deep breath and deal with this next week as its only been 8 days?? If the guy is an FFL, he has
way too much to lose by jerking you around....for too long anyway.
But wait, so in essence the seller is electronically profiling the buyer..Humm, imagine that.

:kidding:

OP, sorry it's dragging out for you. Hope it all works out in the end.. After receiving the pistol, I would surly give the dealer a piece of my mind and spread the word around regarding his slow as molasses response time.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts