Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It turns out this year that none of the local butcher shops in our area are accepting wild game. Fortunately, we have friends. My hunting buddy, Jim, quartered my elk and kept it in his refrigerator until this morning. Our friend, Rich, was a butcher early in his life and did all the cutting. We started at 9:00 this morning and still have another 30 minutes of grinding burger to go..... We probably have about 75 pounds of meat , which is a bit more than I originally estimated we would have.

Backstraps on the counter.

Rich never stopped cutting meat for the last five hours. He never hesitated about where he should cut.

My wife and Rich wrapping one of the cuts.

We have about 30 more minutes of grinding burger to go.

·
Registered
36,875 Posts
When I traveled to the North Slope of AK and brought back three caribou, a friend from where my wife worked came over and helped process the meat for me. It was well worth the packs of meat I gave him for the work he did. I would have "butchered" it if left to my own devices. If I ever go back to AK to hunt, it will be for caribou. Best game I ever ate.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I traveled to the North Slope of AK and brought back three caribou, a friend from where my wife worked came over and helped process the meat for me. It was well worth the packs of meat I gave him for the work he did. I would have "butchered" it if left to my own devices. If I ever go back to AK to hunt, it will be for caribou. Best game I ever ate.
I know I don't have the expertise to do this without botching the job. It's the first time I've ever been a party to the whole process and it's a lot of work!

·
Registered
36,875 Posts
I know I don't have the expertise to do this without botching the job. It's the first time I've ever been a party to the whole process and it's a lot of work!
It's not so bad if your goal is nothing but burgers and stew meat! :rolleyes:

I didn't want any ribs for grilling, so it took him all of five minutes to strip the rib meat from all three carcasses. With him cutting and the wife and I packing and wrapping, it took only a few hours of assembly line butchering.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
That's some fine looking meat there, my friend, and some wonderful folks helping. Glad this has all worked out so well for you.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Years ago when I was the Deer Hunter I had a friend who worked at the meat dept of a local supermarket. After I got one I would hang it for a coupla days in the cold weather then I`d call him and bring it in after the store closed. He would butcher it,skin the hide,chop out the rack then double wrap in freezer paper and freeze it. For all of this he charged me $25+a nice roast,Deal!. I then salted and scraped the hide and sent it off to a Company who made gloves and vests from the hide. I had some very Nice Buckskin gloves made.. Ah....Memories as I no longer hunt but miss it!.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CONGRATULATIONS!
I know that you've been waiting a couple of years to connect like this, and finally it has happened.

Please invite us over to dinner.
If you can make it here from Washington, you're invited for dinner.

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
Congrats!

I always process my own. I feel like that is the conclusion of the hunt.
Somehow, I wouldn’t feel complete about being a hunter if I didn’t do it myself.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats!

I always process my own. I feel like that is the conclusion of the hunt.
Somehow, I wouldn’t feel complete about being a hunter if I didn’t do it myself.
Thank you. Unfortunately, neither my wife or I grew up in families where domestic animals, or game, was processed. This is the first time I have ever seen it done, or even participated at all in the process.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts