Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ran across this article this evening. It does not bode well for the near term. We are far from free of the effects of C-19 on our population and economy.

Producers Warn America Is Facing Protein Shortage in Coronavirus Era

Toilet paper was the first product to disappear from retailers’ shelves at the start of the coronavirus outbreak in the United States, but the nation’s meat and poultry producers warn the strain on the supply chain could result in shortages and cost increases.

“The food supply chain is breaking,” John Tyson, chairman of Tyson Foods Inc., the largest U.S. meat producer, wrote in a blog posted on the company’s website.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/04/27/producers-warn-america-is-facing-protein-shortage-in-coronavirus-era/

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
I believe it, this is going to take several years to recover from. I paid $4.99/lb for 90% lean hamburger today. there were exactly 2 packages left in the entire beef case at the store.

Beans and rice makes a complete protein. Not exactly a steak but they're still plentiful and cheap. Add some chili powder, cumin and top with sour cream and they're pretty good!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Fortunately, as I diligently watched for toilet paper and other essentials I monitored fresh meat supplies and have laid in a couple of months supplies of chicken, beef, and pork. Threw a ribeye steak on the grill yesterday afternoon, but I was well armed and ready to repel invaders responding to the sumptuous aromas wafting around the neighborhood.

Tomorrow I'm thinking about a roasted chicken stuffed with wild rice. That will clear out a little freezer space for the pork loin chops I scored at the grocery store today.

In 6 or 8 weeks all bets are off and I'll be ready to fight for a package of bologna if I am forced to do so.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Protein Powder folks.

Beans & Rice.

Look for vegetable sources.

You should not be eating steak everyday or chicken for that matter. But I like it at my fingertips when I want it.

Agenda 21 brought to you by a host of people willing to shut down the nation to win an election then continue with austerity measures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I posted about this a couple times a few weeks back from the wholesale side. Seems like supermarkets have stopped trying to eat the higher costs like they were. They eventually get passed on. I think my last post ground beef was at 2.50/#. That seemed pretty high but today it was $3.30/# wholesale. The prices you all are seeing in the supermarkets now is just the beginning. The pork/poultry/cattle plants just started shutting down. So more price increases to come.

Restaurants are more screwed than anyone here can imagine. Can't really pass on price increases to a population that has lost either their job or assets or both.

·
Premium Member
33,768 Posts
Food production, processing, transportation, distribution and delivery are all headed over the cliff, pedal to the metal.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Food production, processing, transportation, distribution and delivery are all headed over the cliff, pedal to the metal.
I am very afraid you are correct.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am good for a few months, after that the neighbors cat might start looking tasty.
If all else fails, there are enough squirrels around here to keep me full.
Although we have deer transit our property regularly, we don't have enough land for them to stay all the time. We would be reduced to jackrabbits, unless we "borrow" one of the sheep on the University owned farm across the street....

Reactions: sdprof

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't eaten red meat in years. Get my protein from grains, fruits and vegetables. I live 5 minutes from the gulf of Mexico and eat fish about everyday, that I catch. I probably have about 50 pounds of Grouper, Redfish and sheephead etc in my freezer. I hope they get this straighten out for the people that do eat it.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
It's not just the meat production chain, it's effecting dairy and produce farmers.

I think we're going to see prices in all areas go up significantly by summer. Hopefully they will all recover in a year or two. It's a lot easier to shut something down than it is to open it up, especially when you're talking about growing seasons and animal breeding.

MMinSC brought up the impact on restaurants with the meat shortage. In addition to reopening and having decreased customer volume, they'll have to pass on the increased cost. I hope they can hang on.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Ground beef wholesale prices:
Before the Covid Panic: $1.89/#
One week into the Panic: $2.50/# -No producer, breeders, meat packers were shut down at that time.
Yesterday: $3.33/# -Less then 1 week after processors started to close. All this product was already in the pipeline though.

Same thing I have posted before but looking at a timeline like that is scary.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Talked with a local hog farmer this morning. He skipped breeding sows the last two weeks and thinks he may have to abort a good share of the sows already bred. He's a relatively small producer selling about 300 head a week.

Two of the three packers that he normally sells to are closed with the third working at half capacity. He has a contract with a local butcher shop for 2 hogs a week that he may be able to expand to 3-4, but that won't even pay the electric bill much less feed for breeding stock.

If I remember correctly it takes about 10 months from breeding to market weight. That lag time is the real world problem.
Today he has hogs with no place to sell and more being born every day. It won't take long for him to run out of room. Then add the cost of feeding those surplus hogs...
Ten months from now the demand may be there, but because he didn't breed the last two weeks, he won't have any to sell.

Every producer has a similar situation.
My renter just finished planting yesterday. We have no clue if there will be a grain market this fall.
Dairy producers are dumping milk, not because they want to, but they have no place to market.

Yea, things could get ugly if it continues like this for much longer.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I haven't eaten red meat in years. Get my protein from grains, fruits and vegetables. I live 5 minutes from the gulf of Mexico and eat fish about everyday, that I catch. I probably have about 50 pounds of Grouper, Redfish and sheephead etc in my freezer. I hope they get this straighten out for the people that do eat it.
The prices of your grains, fruits and vegetables have also been steadily increasing as well. Farmers have been plowing over crops. My FIL and his family owned farms. One thing that surprised me is that they will plow over a crop without hesitation vs selling it for nothing. Man have no market at all regardless of price. One would think that your food should go down in price since ranchers/chicken farmers and hog farmers are not feeding your food to what should grow up to become my food. Doesn't work that way. Farmers will not work to lose money.

As for fish, you are lucky. Our fishing opportunities are greatly diminished right now. King Henry I of South Carolina has decreed the beaches, parks and fishing piers to be closed. Poaching on the King's Land is punishable by fines.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Usually there is an agenda behind such things. Tyson probably wants government dollars and is using scare tactics.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Protein Powder folks.

Beans & Rice.

Look for vegetable sources.

You should not be eating steak everyday or chicken for that matter. But I like it at my fingertips when I want it.

Agenda 21 brought to you by a host of people willing to shut down the nation to win an election then continue with austerity measures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of people don't know this, but every vegetable has protein. Some are just better than others. One serving of potatoes or broccoli has about 8% of your RDA. Obviously beans have more, but in the vegetable category there are several good choices. But all will give you some protein.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts