Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question guys...how do you dispose of live ammo without taking it apart your self?

I have some "apparently cheap" 22LR (rimfire) misfires on hand and I need to get rid of them with out dumping them in the trash and risking them going off in a landfill. I have tried a couple of times to shoot these rounds but no go. I have a tub of 500 rounds to go thru but so far out of 200 rounds fired, I have 20 rounds of duds, so what to do with these duds, safely!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
good question. i don't know. i just throw them down range and/or in the field. never gave it a second, just dumped them.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
They won't just go off in a landfill :). Bring them to either a range or your local fire dept for proper disposal.

10% failure rate is pretty high. What mfg/type of ammo? Is your firearm clean?

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
They're not going to go off in a land fill, heck, they wouldn't even go off in a fire...just a pop!:yup:OMO (with experience)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Call up the local Firedepartment, or Haz waste. They should know.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Many ranges have live ammo disposal for this purpose.

Many fire departments or cities have toxic waste collection.

You can pull the bullets and throw the gun powder in the garden for fertilizer. WD 40 the brass to kill the rimfire primers and recycle it at a range.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nutz nailed it. Pull the bullets, garden or burn the powder.

I will add that the bullets can be pulled out with a pair of pliers. I use needle nose. I wouldn't bother wasting the WD40, but your choice.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
We get them at the FD from time to time. We take them to the Sheriff's bomb squad guys. They blow them when they get an ammo can full more or less.

I did some tests and centerfire ammo worked fine after being submerged in WD40, salt water, and Hoppes #9 for weeks at a time. Most, but not all, of the rimfire failed. So that's out. Most rimfires can be pulled by hand and the powder dumped and burned or used for fertilizer. Wet the primers and toss the brass.

Are you sure it's not the gun? If so, and it's new ammo, maybe a letter to the manufacturer might help. Maybe it's a problem that will get a few lot #s of ammo recalled and be safer for everybody. Maybe you'll get replacement ammo.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Last time I had some ammo I wanted to get rid of, I took it to my local gun store and he got rid of it or used it. Don't know which, but I didn't care as long as I didn't have to mess with it.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Many ranges have live ammo disposal for this purpose.

Many fire departments or cities have toxic waste collection.

You can pull the bullets and throw the gun powder in the garden for fertilizer. WD 40 the brass to kill the rimfire primers and recycle it at a range.
Never use inertia bullet for rim fire ammo! SAAMI reccommends contacting the ammo manufactor and return the ammo to them. I have a 10/22 that is bad about misfiring. I can take the same ammo and fire it in my Single Six or Remington bolt action. I am pretty sure I just need to iron the chamber. Just haven't got around to it yet.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Nutz nailed it. Pull the bullets, garden or burn the powder.

I will add that the bullets can be pulled out with a pair of pliers. I use needle nose. I wouldn't bother wasting the WD40, but your choice.
Same here.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My old range had a ground hog problem

So there was usually no problem finding a new hog hole along the range skirt to throw my rimfire duds down. Centerfire duds get inertia pulled to see why they didn't go boom and tracked.(mostly my reloads)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Where I live, you can take it to the sheriff's office and they'll dispose of it for. I usually throw it in the dirt where I'm shooting.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Question guys...how do you dispose of live ammo without taking it apart your self?

I have some "apparently cheap" 22LR (rimfire) misfires on hand and I need to get rid of them with out dumping them in the trash and risking them going off in a landfill. I have tried a couple of times to shoot these rounds but no go. I have a tub of 500 rounds to go thru but so far out of 200 rounds fired, I have 20 rounds of duds, so what to do with these duds, safely!
You don't have to actually take the cartridge apart. Just cut a 22lr case in half at about the half with a pair of high leverage electrician's diagonal cutters, then throw them in the trash like normal.

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
22 Long Rifle or 22 MAG - You can also just hold the cartridge case in one hand and grab the bullet hard with a pair of stout pliers and bend it down. That will pop the bullet right out of the cartridge case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts