Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is for the wheel gun guys, or anyone else whpo wants to play....

I picked up my ruger LCR on saturday. Its my first wheelgun in almost 5 years and at the range I attempted to use a thumbs forward semi auto grip, at which point i neatly sliced my thumb open with the finger nail of my trigger finger on the first shot.... like a trooper i dripped blood while I adjusted and kept on trucking...and a good blood letting never hurt anyone.

My question is this.... the thumb over thumb grip works but it doesnt seem to be as solid for me for some reason, and the thumb over top grip is very uncomfortable and akward. Is their another grip method I can utilise? I searched the interweb for quite a while and everything went back to these too methods.I know practice will make perfect but if there is something else to try I am all ears. My main issue with the thumb over thumb grip is its a weird feeling, and under recoil it feels like i am losing my grip. Any suggestions?

BTW..... if you dont have an LCR...you should. It is a sweet shooter, and the trigger is enough to make you drool ...... if DAO semiautos had such a trigger like this, I would actually consider buying one.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Look up the cowboy action grip video on youtube. Did wonders for me.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't mean to be a smart a$$ but if you are comfortable with the grip, just trim your trigger fingernail really short.
Believe it or not I didnt think of that, but im not sur ehow much shorter I can get it lol. I have a feeling that even trimmed it will lift my finger off of the trigger under recoil, but I am going to try it.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Ya gotta keep your fingers away from that cylinder gap. Hickok 45 had a great informational video about what can happen with the wrong grip. 38 SPL may make you bleed, a 454 Cassul will rip the thumb off.

Reactions: 10thmtn

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^

I use the snubby grip described above

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya gotta keep your fingers away from that cylinder gap. Hickok 45 had a great informational video about what can happen with the wrong grip. 38 SPL may make you bleed, a 454 Cassul will rip the thumb off.
It wasnt the cylinder gap thankfully. The fingernail on my trigger finger went straight into my thumb under recoil because i was using a thumbs forward semi Auto grip. I have short fingers so the gap shouldnt be a problem thankfully lol.

·
Registered
306 Posts
On a revolver you may want to consider angling your thumbs downward, like you do when making a fist. Doing so usually gives more grip strength to your trigger finger so you can be in more control of that long revolver trigger. It works for me, at least.

·
Banned
770 Posts
I am proud to say I am one of Jerry's kids. I use the snubby grip described above. You are right about the LCR. Sweet shooter.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
...I'm just an old fart who learned to shoot my snubbies one-handed...then proudly modernized with the teacup and saucer grip that seems to be outdated, too...but it works for me...after cupping the gun hand, I pull slightly with the cup hand and push slightly with the gun hand and it steadies my aim well...I'll probably never reach the 21st century...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I think you must be not using finger tip on trigger but putting finger all the way thru. Should be using first pad on index finger

·
Registered
680 Posts
Use the pad or the first joint of your finger. It largely depends how you grip you pistol.

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
I am a big believer in consistency. If you think you will use a different grip when firing a semi auto pistol vs a revolver when under stress...well, you are a better man than I. This is especially true for those who carry a semi auto as primary, plus a revolver as a BUG.

I use the same thumb-over-thumb "curled down" grip, whether using a semi auto pistol or my LCR revolver. Keeps my digits away from the slide lock on semi autos, and away from the cylinder gap on revolvers.

Yea, it's not the tacticool thumbs-up-and-forward grip that seems to be all the rage these days, but it works for me. And I don't need to worry about blowing the tip of my thumb off if I shoot a revolver.

I also have to disagree with Jerry's revolver grip. The thumb on back of the backstrap will not work with a semi auto. Again - consistency. Same grip, no matter the handgun.

JMHO.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
...I tried the "new rage" thumb over thumb thing during requals...don't like it at all...too many years of doing it another way and you know what they say about an old dog...woof, woof...
...the RO said that there's something that happens in the brain when you lay the thumb over the other thumb and point them toward the target...he was right...my brain told me "this ain't right":rolleyes:

...I'm also not cool in that I squeeze the trigger with the first joint of my finger...never used the first pad...just doesn't work for some people...we're built differently...

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you must be not using finger tip on trigger but putting finger all the way thru. Should be using first pad on index finger
Nope, its the pad for me, but they are so close together when I grip its not funny....stupid thumbs forward grip...lol

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am a big believer in consistency. If you think you will use a different grip when firing a semi auto pistol vs a revolver when under stress...well, you are a better man than I. This is especially true for those who carry a semi auto as primary, plus a revolver as a BUG.

I use the same thumb-over-thumb "curled down" grip, whether using a semi auto pistol or my LCR revolver. Keeps my digits away from the slide lock on semi autos, and away from the cylinder gap on revolvers.

Yea, it's not the tacticool thumbs-up-and-forward grip that seems to be all the rage these days, but it works for me. And I don't need to worry about blowing the tip of my thumb off if I shoot a revolver.

I also have to disagree with Jerry's revolver grip. The thumb on back of the backstrap will not work with a semi auto. Again - consistency. Same grip, no matter the handgun.

JMHO.
I think this a fantastic Idea, using the same grip for everything. You make a very good point. I use the thumbs forward grip because thats how I shot in the military and as an LEO. I am wanting to try the thumb over thumb with my semi...never had a need for anything else till now but im not sure i could make myself change lol...been doing it too long

1 - 20 of 27 Posts