Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a very good video from Massad Ayoob on thumb position while gripping a handgun. He explains the strengths, and weaknesses of each method. His observations regarding one handed shooting versus two handed shooting, towards the end of the video, are particularly enlightening.

·
Registered
34,003 Posts
I'm all thumbs, so it doesn't matter how I grip.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I started out thumb forward but adapted to thumb down to better control the subcompact firearm. In advanced training they pushed thumbs forward and now it's had to move back to the stronger Israeli method. With a full-sized firearm, like the Glock 17 or 19 I probably wouldn't go to the thumbs down. I wish I knew I was adopting the Israeli method when I took the training so I could defend my thumbs down and overlock with the off-hand.

·
Registered
Various
15,563 Posts
Good video.

I do most of my self-defense training shooting one-handed with either hand and with the thumb in between the straight-thumb and the down-thumb method. For longer shots or target shooting I go to two-handed with thumbs forward to slightly down. It is what works for me.

·
Premium Member
7,152 Posts
I learned thumbs forward for semi auto and thumbs down for revolvers. Since I almost never shoot revolvers anymore because of not being able to pull the trigger due to arthritis, it has become totally alien to me to try to relearn thumbs down for semi autos. But I did forward the video to my two friends who are newer to shooting in case they want to experiment to see what works best for each of them............After I spend hours training them to get a really good firm grip using thumbs forward...............SIGH.

But I do have another friend who cannot hit the center of anything if she tries to shoot thumbs forward because thumbs down is the only way she has shot everything she owns. And according to what that friend told me, the guy who teaches basic pistol courses at our club teaches thumbs down. Interesting, it is.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
Various
15,563 Posts
I learned to shoot heavy recoiling revolvers many years ago with thumbs crossed behind the hammer. If you are shooting a revolver that way and then pick up a semi-auto and forget, it hurts and bleeds.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I usually shoot thumbs down now but occasionally that thumb strikes out on its own.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I watched that video last week. Good one as usual by Massad.

I started out as a kid shooting one handed and still do about 90% of my shooting one handed. I've always used the thumb down method.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
Thumbs down. Works with everything, semis and revolvers. Better for retention too. And no adjustment needed when transitioning between one and two handed shooting.

And yes, keeps your digits away from the moving parts!

I don’t have the finger interference issue he discusses, because I use the pad on my trigger finger’s tip to work the trigger. I do not put that much finger inside the trigger guard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts