Defensive Carry banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
This has been discussed many times in the gun forums and can be brought-up using the Search function.

Should holsters are somewhat restrictive, and can cause back, shoulder, and neck pains.
A properly fitted quality shoulder holster balanced correctly will take care of those issues unless of course there’s an underlying issue.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have taken the advice posted and have purchased a Bianchi Shoulder holster. Well balanced with My P226 under the left arm pit and a double mag pouch under the left. Nice wide straps over the shoulders to manage the weight.
After several months of use I will post back here how well it has worked for me.
If you do like it and decide to upgrade or try another brand I highly recommend a Safariland Jackass rig for the 226. The Miami classics are similar but the strap position on the jackass is below the muzzle which allows more can’t to help conceal the longer slide.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am thinking of getting a shoulder holster for my P229 and extra mags, any thoughts both pro and con would be welcome.
People love them, people hate them.
Decent ones are more expensive than a good belt holster, so you have to spend a decent amount and play around with adjustments for a week or so to see if it's actually for you or not.
Requires cover garment
Pros:
Public bathrooms are much simpler - when in a public place no need to worry about the gun and holster rocketing to the floor as it wants to do when you belt carry
Great when you're sitting in a chair or car most of the day
Equally accessible whether sitting or standing (vs strongside, which is less accessible when seated)
Very comfortable for some
Does not require a belt

Might be better for hiking than belt holster, as the waist belt on many packs interferes with belt carry.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My shoulder holster from Stoner is very comfortable and well made. You can adjust it to the exact fit you desire. Very concealable, and the gun rides in a vertical position muzzle down. Easily quick drawn, and spare mags on the opposite side.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Touching. That's my only issue. I'm not a toucher but my friends are. "What's that? Are you packing"? "No, that's my medical device". Other than that I like shoulder carry.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts