Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might fall into the category of politics but with Chicago being the murder capital of the world and that being a concern to many on here I wanted to tell what I saw on the news tonight. The head of the Fraternal Order Of Police in Chicago has asked the union members to not work overtime during the labor day weekend. This brought about a demonstration where an intersection was shut down and a spokesman accused the police union of not caring about the killings in Chicago. I am guessing that some of these demonstrators are also some of the people who harass the police when they are trying to do their job. An article the other day showed an officer being abused by some of the locals while he was guarding a crime scene that was under investigation. He was being called names and he was being baited to react to other abuse. I believe that he acted in a professional manner and did his job. The number of police officers on duty so far this year has not made much of a difference in the number of killings so far and it is foolish to think that they would make that big of a difference now. The same people who are trying to blame the police for not being able to stop all of the killing are the same ones blame the police when they do their job. This lack of respect and cooperation with the police is the reason why there are so many killings in Chicago now. Until people start taking some of the responsibility for this they will keep paying a heavy toll.

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
Sometimes ya just can't win for losing.

Law Enforcement has been placed in a damned if they do and damned if they don't scenario.

And LEOs are not the sort of human beings that enjoy being placed into un-winnable situations.

Good Luck Chicago. Time to sleep in the bed that you made for yourself.

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
Yes, this would be politics. The politics of the VAST MAJORITY of the most decent folks on the planet getting Royally Shellaced in the United States.

It is a pathetic environment for a good officer to be stuck in these days.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think the US has the best equipped and best trained police force in the world. What they are not trained for is the socially irresponsible, self entitled masses who in thier boring day to day, non-productive
existence feel that criminal behavior is an acceptable outlet for an otherwise mundane life style. The Police are the last line between utter caos and stability. The majority of the participants in the rioting and looting seen in recent times in response to police/citizen incidents don't have a clue as to who or why they were acting so badly. The charitable programs sponcered by the government during hard times in our nations history, while instituted in good faith, have been allowed to be abused to the point of having created third and fourth generations of children who think they are owed an existence, and not having to make it on thier own, have no respect for law and order. The police don't need fixing, system that created the mind set of these folks needs fixin. They'd think twice about looting and burning a structure that may be instrumental to thier lively hood, and not so quick to join the masses just for an emotional outlet.

Back The Blue!

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
What has happened in many larger cities in the US is that police departments have numerous vacancies that can't or won't be filled due to the bean counters wanting to save money on salaries. The bad thing is that this manpower shortage forces more overtime which usually costs more than if they had just hired more officers to begin with. Unfortunately the beancounter REMF's typically don't listen to police department management or union officials who actually know how to resolve these problems.

Reactions: mjadams61

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Democrats get to fight the Unions that voted them in. Liberals live in a world of irony.

NYC mayor DeBlasio got to fight the city worker union when they wouldn't plow snow or pick up garbage. The politicians support high wages and benefits during the campaign, as long as they don't have to actually pay up.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
In no way do I think police officers should need to work overtime, however, their little protest is going to do more harm for them than good. They are hired to work a certain schedule per week, and I know there will be many that will eat up all the overtime they can get either because they want the extra money, or because they just enjoy being on duty. For those that just want to work their regular schedule, and not work overtime, I see nothing wrong with that. Where I do see the problem is, they are only harming their already poor relations with the public by basically giving the finger to the public by carrying out their little protest. Police are not, and should not viewed as responsible for shootings that happen throughout the city. I think they would be far more successful if they had a Sheriff Clark type of person on their staff who would pull out some actual statistics detailing the corruption within the city government and how criminals are still being allowed to roam the streets due to either plea deals, light sentences, or whatever other reasons. They could make a good case for how the police department is under funded(unless they are willing to acknowledge that they are just that poorly managed) and as a result, can not adequately cover everything in the city.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Chicago's problem is over liberal Judges. Almost 90% of the shootings are committed by repeat offender felons. Some on parole or probation and recently one guy was wearing a ankle monitor that he was allowed to shut off to travel to work. The cops arrest them and they get bonded out cheap because we all know there are just too many blacks in prison right?

You can't make this up. Obama has appointed 392 liberal appellate judges in his 8 years.....expect this disease to spread across the country for the next 30 years.

Reactions: Havok and Lindsay

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
It's a no win situation for the cops. If they're aggressive they get blamed for harassing people. If they aren't aggressive, they get blamed for higher crime.

I saw a study many years ago that showed that people felt more unsafe when police patrols increased. It was the opposite of the expected result.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
It's a no win situation for the cops. If they're aggressive they get blamed for harassing people. If they aren't aggressive, they get blamed for higher crime.

I saw a study many years ago that showed that people felt more unsafe when police patrols increased. It was the opposite of the expected result.
Some of the "harassment" that they are getting blamed for could be reduced by officers doing their jobs properly. Not all of it, but some of it.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/15/us/chicago-homan-square-hearing/
Harassment is probably an understatement for describing how Chicago PD treats people.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Some of the "harassment" that they are getting blamed for could be reduced by officers doing their jobs properly. Not all of it, but some of it.

Chicago's Homan Square police complex under fire - CNN.com
Harassment is probably an understatement for describing how Chicago PD treats people.
Good point. What's good for the police isn't always Constitutional or just. There are police who abuse their authority and it sucks to be on the wrong side of it.

I was at a street fair manning a booth for the local animal rescue. I took one of the dogs for a walk and when I got back to the booth a cop told me that he had seen the dog crap in the street and I had to clean it up. I walked back down the road and the crap wasn't even on the route that I had walked. The cop had lied about it. I refused to clean it up and we butted heads until another volunteer went and cleaned it up. You expect the police to have some level of integrity, but that's not always true.

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In no way do I think police officers should need to work overtime, however, their little protest is going to do more harm for them than good. They are hired to work a certain schedule per week, and I know there will be many that will eat up all the overtime they can get either because they want the extra money, or because they just enjoy being on duty. For those that just want to work their regular schedule, and not work overtime, I see nothing wrong with that. Where I do see the problem is, they are only harming their already poor relations with the public by basically giving the finger to the public by carrying out their little protest. Police are not, and should not viewed as responsible for shootings that happen throughout the city. I think they would be far more successful if they had a Sheriff Clark type of person on their staff who would pull out some actual statistics detailing the corruption within the city government and how criminals are still being allowed to roam the streets due to either plea deals, light sentences, or whatever other reasons. They could make a good case for how the police department is under funded(unless they are willing to acknowledge that they are just that poorly managed) and as a result, can not adequately cover everything in the city.
The police are not the ones who are protesting. The protesters led by Father Pflegler are protesting because the police have been directed to not work overtime during the holiday weekend to show that they are tired of being abused by these same extremists. Father Pflegler is accusing the FOP of not caring about the people of Chicago who are getting killed. Meanwhile nobody seems to care about how much abuse the police have to take.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
The police are not the ones who are protesting. The protesters led by Father Pflegler are protesting because the police have been directed to not work overtime during the holiday weekend to show that they are tired of being abused by these same extremists. Father Pflegler is accusing the FOP of not caring about the people of Chicago who are getting killed. Meanwhile nobody seems to care about how much abuse the police have to take.
So who is protesting? You didnt provide a link to whatever story in the OP, and your posts indicates that police officers are the ones being asked to not work over time.

The head of the Fraternal Order Of Police in Chicago has asked the union members to not work overtime during the labor day weekend
https://www.fop.net/CmsPage.aspx?id=223
The Fraternal Order of Police is the world's largest organization of sworn law enforcement officers, with more than 330,000 members in more than 2,200 lodges.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The protesters led by Father Pflegler are protesting because the police have been directed to not work overtime during the holiday weekend to show that they are tired of being abused by these same extremists. Father Pflegler is accusing the FOP of not caring about the people of Chicago who are getting killed. Meanwhile nobody seems to care about how much abuse the police have to take.
Don't even get me started on that jerk Fr. Pflegler. He is a rebel rousing inciter that just wants to make the news. I'm from the South side of Chicago and work minutes away from Gresham and Englewood neighborhoods where the majority of these black on black shooting occur. These are gang banging thugs that have no respect for their own lives and have far less for anyone else's. This has been going on for generations and it baffles and embarrasses me why the city can't clean it up. They protest that "black lives matter" but apparently not to the blacks in these neighborhoods that shoot up each other and anyone else around them. It is these blacks that run up the statistics of how many people were shot. If these "black lives matter" protesters put their energy into cleaning up their own neighborhoods and quit supporting the drug trade they might make a difference. I kid you not, every Monday morning local radio stations and the Chicago Tribune newspaper report the number of shootings and deaths over the last weekend like a baseball statistic. I find it sickening.
My heart and thoughts go out to every LEO that has to deal with this crap. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Sorry for the rant but I'm old enough to remember when my city wasn't like this.

·
Registered
11,757 Posts
Sorry if I am insulting your hometown, but Chicago is one of those too-expensive, too-corrupt, too-crime ridden, too-much traffic cesspits that I don't even like to visit and would never live. The voters there have the city they deserve. They can get it changed, or leave, but complaining about it will do no good. It never has and never will.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Little off topic maybe . My wife was out on the road with me and we were traveling north through Chicago when she recognized one of our trucking friends traveling south and hailed him on the CB . He asked what she was doing here and her response was :
"We were arguing at the house and I told him to kiss me where it stinks .............. So , he brought me to Chicago .".......................

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I always shake my head when people in critical jobs refuse to work due to butthurt. If they don't feel appreciated they should find a job where they get the attention and love the crave. Poor precious snowflakes.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
It represents the polar opposite of win win. For cops it's lose lose.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts