Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I went to my local range that is closest to my house and is one of the more well known public ranges in my area. I have been there numerous times but this time I started to notice that on the range stall walls there are bullet holes everywhere....:blink: I don't mean one or two but 20-30 in each stall....and the drop ceiling tapers down at an angle and the tiles are shredded with holes. Now this means you are off target by 5-10 feet...maybe more. :scratchchin:

Is this normal for public ranges? I'm thinking maybe go somewhere else where there is more supervision.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I'd bet it's one or two people screwing around when no one else is there. Surely the cops would get called if someone was shooting up the place when normal, safe range users were there.

I've been in an indoor range where the RSO said very clearly they didn't mind if shots ricocheted off the floor, wall, or ceiling. I left immediately.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Ok so I went to my local range that is closest to my house and is one of the more well known public ranges in my area. I have been there numerous times but this time I started to notice that on the range stall walls there are bullet holes everywhere....:blink: I don't mean one or two but 20-30 in each stall....and the drop ceiling tapers down at an angle and the tiles are shredded with holes. Now this means you are off target by 5-10 feet...maybe more. :scratchchin:

Is this normal for public ranges? I'm thinking maybe go somewhere else where there is more supervision.
I am afraid so. Especially where ranges rent Uzi's and other auto's for birthday parties and groups to anyone with little or no shooting experience. Some ranges have rules like no head shots on silhouette targets to try to prevent rounds from hitting the ceiling too much. What you are seeing for the most part is normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I try to go an hour before closing on Tuesday night, the slowest time and the safest time. The RO knows me and let's me double tap at will when it's just a few of us trusted members there. It's a public range that also offers memberships so it's a mixed use facility. There are a lot of holes in unusual places at every range I've visited. Lord please protect the ROs they are always under fire, both physically, and verbally on a daily basis. Let them go home safely.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
The word your looking for is Public. Most don't care what damage they cause. They don't realize what it cost to repair the damage or it could close down the range.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am afraid so. Especially where ranges rent Uzi's and other auto's for birthday parties and groups to anyone with little or no shooting experience. Some ranges have rules like no head shots on silhouette targets to try to prevent rounds from hitting the ceiling too much. What you are seeing for the most part is normal wear and tear.
This range has a single shot policy for long guns and really only allow them for sighting in purposes. So 99.9% of the damage is done by handguns. Which is scary.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
This range has a single shot policy for long guns and really only allow them for sighting in purposes. So 99.9% of the damage is done by handguns. Which is scary.
What do they charge per hour?

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
That's pretty cheap. The average build out cost per lane for a top tier indoor range is $40K. They may not be making enough to maintain anything other than government regulated stuff like the ventilation system. If it's older, it probably requires constant mechanical work leaving nothing for aesthetics. If it's close to the city, there can be several additional factors that can accelerate wear and tear. Besides that, some ranges don't care what the place looks like as long as there is regular traffic.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Heck, I thought you were talking about an outdoor range on public property. That's completely unacceptable at an indoor range, where you would think RSO's would step in to stop things. At an un-monitored outdoor range, I would think it would be pretty common.

That is pretty cheap IMO, which may explain the behavior. The range I shoot at charges $23 for a pistol lane, but it has top quality target systems, lighting, and ventilation. They have ballistic glass or concrete filled block between lanes, and charge a fee if you hit a wall, floor, or ceiling. Second offense gets you banned.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I am so glad the closest indoor range to me is only $15
Per lane. Has a decent viewing area with coffee and soda machines. Comfy chairs and couch. Free wifi.
Also has an ammo vending machine. I go sometimes an shoot some, then rests bit then shoot some more.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I am so glad the closest indoor range to me is only $15
Per lane. Has a decent viewing area with coffee and soda machines. Comfy chairs and couch. Free wifi.
Also has an ammo vending machine. I go sometimes an shoot some, then rests bit then shoot some more.
The last place I want to take my family and sit on the couch using their wi-fi, drinking week old coffee with a spoon, watching my box of ammo hang like a bag of chips so I have to shake the vending machine and throw out my back while some idiots decide to leave tracer marks all over the place just for fun.........run! :popout2: Find somewhere and enjoy the sun and the great outdoors. Rainy or cold days are for dollar movies............

:smiley2:Merry Christmas

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have no experience with indoor ranges or any type of pay to shoot range. Hearing some of these stories about indoor ranges makes me ever so grateful that my range is about 2 minutes outside my door. Has no target retrieval system, ventilation is provided by mother nature, no heat or AC. :smile:

·
Registered
562 Posts
One of the ranges near me is similar to the OP. I went there one time. My preferred range has ballistic walls between the lanes. It is very nice and still only charges $15 for a lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SIGP250

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Did I mention the Big flat screen? :danceban:
it's my perfect man cave. Unfortunately it aint mine alone.

·
Banned
240 Posts
Vandalism by irresponsible gun owners. when i encounter them doing that its showtime and I confront them. I then take pictures of them and of their vehicles and license plate. then i contact the range committee officers to report them. I also go through this drill if I see severe unsafe activity, like when I observed soneone with AR getting ready to fire when two guys were down range getting their targets in their truck at 300 yards. I was getting ready to leave but something told me to stay. This guy had a 308 AR and was the last guy on the range. He got ready to fire at 100 yards and did not see the truck. The truck was deadon and he could have put a hole through their rear window, which was directly inline with his target firing point. If he hit the back of the truck he could have killed one of them.

I immiedately said "there are people down range, make your weapon safe and step back from the firing line". He stopped and complied. As above I took picture of his vehicle plates and reported to range committee officials.

Tried to notify the two guys but by the time I was finished with making sure rifleman was clear and took plate pics they had driven away.

The men in the truck had no idea on how close they came to possible terrible accident.

I believe it is every lawful firearm owners responsibility to guide other shooters if they need it and to help to stop range vanalism.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's pretty cheap. The average build out cost per lane for a top tier indoor range is $40K. They may not be making enough to maintain anything other than government regulated stuff like the ventilation system. If it's older, it probably requires constant mechanical work leaving nothing for aesthetics. If it's close to the city, there can be several additional factors that can accelerate wear and tear. Besides that, some ranges don't care what the place looks like as long as there is regular traffic.
This range has a private LEO section and public pistol range. They also have a full complete LGS with accessories and probably 200 handguns in glass cases. Plus a rack of long guns and gunsmith service. Pretty nice for the price. But anyone can come in and rent a variety of maybe 30 rental hand guns. So you get a lot of strange types in there. No ballistic walls...unless you are shooting a BB gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts