Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
I think that’s a well written email. I’m always a fan of using the federalist essay to ensure people know that 2A isn’t about hunting, it is 100% about fighting the government.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Let us know what response you get from the school. I think it will be interesting.
Abso-freakin-loutely!

Also, this is the sort of thing that Fox and Breitbart eat up (or at least Fox used to....).

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Meh, this is her 4th grade year and my son went there pre-K through 5th grade and this is the first time I have ever seen or heard of anything like this (and we're very involved and I am probably overly sensitive to anything that feels like indoctrination). Not ready to pull the plug and spend $20K/year just yet.
It may not be happening in every school district, but every parent should spend some time in one on one with the teachers and guarantee the confidentiality of what is discussed. I suspect that many parents might be shocked at what teachers say about the system that has been created by bureaucrats.

We are thankful that our great grand kids are receiving a really first class education at home. In truth there are a lot of home schooled parents pooling resources. We have a number of professional people who volunteer time to spend with the kids - people who not only know how to teach, but have many years of life experienced in their chosen fields. We all chip in and help each other out. The kids reap all the rewards. I know some people spend the $20K on private schools, but I would put the education our kids are getting up against any place in the country. Just us though.

Reactions: Merovius and Havok

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Wow, that Presentation is downright awful. It editorializes, incorrectly reports the purpose of 2A, and seems intended to advance a personal viewpoint as fact. I think the best course of action would be to file a formal complaint with the Superintendent of School and the School Board. The material should not only be withdrawn but it also should be clearly stated to be incorrect.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Maybe just ask that the actual document be the source and not these amateur memes that would get a D- in 6th grade Social Studies. The Bill of Rights ought to be easy for a 5th grade teacher to source.

(They only get a passing grade for being grammatically correct)

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I could see the use of memes as a way to keep the attention of today's students. It is a bit much for 4th grade, though I am sure she thinks she is being clever. That aside, as you stated the interpretation is incorrect.

I like your response. Let us know how it goes. I teach 8th grade Social Studies in CA. Colonies to Reconstruction. I love it because I get to show all the reasons for the Constitution and the kids get to figure out the rest.

*As a teacher: Your child's education will depend more on your involvement than the quality of any and all teachers. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
I could see the use of memes as a way to keep the attention of today's students. It is a bit much for 4th grade, though I am sure she thinks she is being clever. That aside, as you stated the interpretation is incorrect.

I like your response. Let us know how it goes. I teach 8th grade Social Studies in CA. Colonies to Reconstruction. I love it because I get to show all the reasons for the Constitution and the kids get to figure out the rest.

*As a teacher: Your child's education will depend more on your involvement than the quality of any and all teachers. Keep up the good work.
I would be fine with the memes, if they were accurate. Just my opinion if it were my kids. How the information is presented is not as important as long as it’s accurate.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The only thing that I could add to this discussion, since I believe that you are doing the right thing, is that you might try to find like-minded parents (perhaps of other 4th-grade pupils) to join in the complaint with you.

The more complaints they get, the greater the change could be.
...If the Principal is willing to actually do something about the issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 9-year-old daughter is in the 4th grade. She goes to a pretty good public elementary school in Fulton county, Georgia (no, really). A couple of weeks ago they started learning about the Constitution and the founding fathers. The study guide for the test got sent out in an e-mail to all the parents. Now I always like to scroll through the study guides (mostly to find and point out errors so I can feel smug and superior), but I was particularly interested to see how they addressed the Constitution and, in particular, the 2nd Amendment. Below are the three slides of the Power Point presentation that dealt with the 2A:

View attachment 306934

View attachment 306936

View attachment 306938

I've been thinking about how I am going to address it... thoughts?
Take your kid out of school and tell the lying nazi why.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Brad I don’t know your situation or beliefs but my parents sent us two kids to church school because of what the public schools were teaching back then in the 1960’s! We didn’t have the money and I remember my Mom getting a job, she didn’t have a high school education so it wasn’t the greatest job. What I’m saying is how bad do you want her out of that school?

I’m ashamed to say I’d probably not be as nice as you are about it if it were my child. Have said it before, I’d rather have them ignorant than being taught crap like that.

You only get one chance to raise a child.

God bless, wish you the best.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Unfortunately it's not up to the teacher , the school gives the teachers the lesson plans , " you will teach the children this "
Not that I have seen. The teacher does the lesson plan. As for whom picks the text book used, it varies according to the school system. I assume teachers may have some input, and may even select the book to be used.

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Unfortunately it's not up to the teacher , the school gives the teachers the lesson plans , " you will teach the children this "
Not universally true, especially in elective courses.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
My 9-year-old daughter is in the 4th grade. She goes to a pretty good public elementary school in Fulton county, Georgia (no, really). A couple of weeks ago they started learning about the Constitution and the founding fathers. The study guide for the test got sent out in an e-mail to all the parents. Now I always like to scroll through the study guides (mostly to find and point out errors so I can feel smug and superior), but I was particularly interested to see how they addressed the Constitution and, in particular, the 2nd Amendment. Below are the three slides of the Power Point presentation that dealt with the 2A:

View attachment 306934

View attachment 306936

View attachment 306938

I've been thinking about how I am going to address it... thoughts?
Those slides were amateurish.

First - "Congress" wasn't prevented from doing anything, that's just one of the 3 branches of our government. The Amendment simply states, "the right... shall not be infringed." It does NOT say by whom.

Next: There is NO language in the 2nd Amendment which grants power to the Federal or State governments to regulate the possession or use of "arms." So this sentence needs to go if we are talking strictly about the Constitution and not its various "interpretations." Also note that the noun used is "arms," not just firearms. So swords, knives, dirks, daggers, lances, spears, arrows, halberds, battleaxes and morningstars and tasers should all fall under the same mantle of protection.

Next: the author of the powerpoint is confusing individual ownership of arms with the collective use by a "militia." The reference to militia is incidental and does nothing to regulate possession and use of arms by individuals.

Next: The Willie Wonka graphic is pejorative and grossly misleading. Accidental and harmful uses of the First Amendment do nothing to dilute or diminish its protections; Americans are slandered daily and bad people yell "fire" in crowded theaters often. Hunting accidents or other intentional/unintentional misuse of firearms have NO bearing whatsoever on the protections of the Second Amendment.

Last: the 2nd slide ("so I can do whatever I want with guns") is on the level of Dumb and Dumber, as it ignores laws regarding civil conduct.

Q: Can you shoot someone with a gun? A: In general, only if you can convince a jury that deadly force was warranted.
Q: Can I shoot up my neighbor's house? A: No, unless you can convince a jury that you were justified in using deadly physical force.
Q: Can I shoot in my back yard? A: Depends on if your back yard is 500 square feet or 50 acres. Local ordinances may govern where you shoot for the sake of public safety. This has NOTHING to do with bearing arms for self defense or defense against an oppressive government. In general (and I'm probably being too optimistic here) the local laws are/were written to keep idiots from shooting into neighbors' properties and putting innocent lives at risk.

I hope you proceed with your protest.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I struggle with how to tell the grandchildren that they are being lied to.
A very important issue with which so many of us have familiarity.

·
Banned
42 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Perhaps a simple English lesson, breaking down the actual words. It seems the lesson glosses over that nobody, at least nobody of THIS world, granted anybody any rights. We were BORN with those rights. The amendment barred anyone from taking that right from us. Of course that might suggest God exists so, oops, another issue for the school's atheist architecture but that's what the amendment says. Let the teacher deal with explaining where that right originated. Then sit back with the popcorn as you watch the teacher ride out of town on a railroad tie, covered in tar and feathers. (Well, one can hope, right?)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Unfortunately, we have lost our childern and grandchildren to the governmet endoctrination aimed to make them ignorant about Constutution, functions of government, freedoms, to make future generation complacent to what government says, etc. And that happened when we allowed to have government education system in its hands (and tax us to support that and associated bureaucracy).

This is the gravest observation about our future I have.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts