Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woman pulled from car, raped at Satellite Beach park, police say

"SATELLITE BEACH, Fla. - A woman who was reading a book in her car at a Satellite Beach park was attacked, beaten and raped, according to police.

The attack was reported around 7 p.m. Sunday at Hightower Beach Park.

Satellite Beach police said the woman was sitting in her car at the north end of the parking lot when a man pulled her from the car, pinned her to the ground and hit her several times in the face and head.

The victim said the man threatened her life multiple times and sexually battered her in the parking lot, according to police.

The woman suffered serious injuries and was taken to a hospital, police said.

The attacker was described as a white man, about 30-40 years old and weighing 175 pounds. It is believed that he left the area in an unknown vehicle. It is possible that the man has scratch marks and bruises, police said."

Being in condition white in public is risky.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Not much information to work on or with here but I wish anyone with a gun permit would have been close enough to have assisted her. Would be a blessing to catch him quickly and punish with 110% justice especially before others are harmed.

Man or Woman, door locked, clear exit with the key's in the ignition, cell phone very accessible and dash cam running.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly not much to go on, but seems a good example of complacency and assuming a public area is safe. When we last lived in that area I don't recall much violent crime on those beaches, it's a pretty benign area of FL.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Certainly not much to go on, but seems a good example of complacency and assuming a public area is safe. When we last lived in that area I don't recall much violent crime on those beaches, it's a pretty benign area of FL.
the best hunting grounds are where the prey feel safe.

hope she recovers, and learns how to protect her self.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Very bad story. Hope the guy is caught and flayed, though I suppose shot while resisting is the best we can hope for.

Not knowing all the details, I assume the car doors weren't locked. That's something everybody can do, and would probably stop a lot of violent crime.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I certainly don't want to pile on the poor woman and I'm glad she survived. Hopefully she learned that it's dangerous to be in "Condition White" while in a public place like that. I realize that most people psychologically think of their car in much the same way they think of their home- a personal space that's relatively safe- but that's not the case if you don't lock your doors! Realistically the same is true if you're sitting on a park bench with your nose in your smart phone, too. Many will point out that she should have had a gun but just locking her door and having the key in the ignition would have probably sufficed.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Very bad story. Hope the guy is caught and flayed, though I suppose shot while resisting is the best we can hope for.

Not knowing all the details, I assume the car doors weren't locked. That's something everybody can do, and would probably stop a lot of violent crime.
I was thinking/wondering the same thing when I was reading the article and responding. It seems to be getting more insane by the day out there. If she had locked doors and window up I think there is a chance of smash and grab still.

This type of situation and or outcome is not justifiable by the numbers. It's not a numbers game. Sure, in my city no one was raped today, but....And there is nothing to really stop it. One of these incidents a year anywhere in the world is one too many. Being a scum bag or mentally ill is not an excuse.

We need harsher laws. And keep making the laws harsher until it stops. I am not an extremist but I think a person who rapes once should be put to death. It is completely unacceptable to inflict this type of evil on anyone. Then if they have killed the person they force themselves onto the evildoer should be killed twice.

The only thing that may prevent this is for the person wanting to sit in their care, loving nature, fresh air while reading a good book is to do it in a completely populated spot. Even then there is a risk.

Other than that, continue to allow evil people to derail & deny law abiding people from enjoying life and their surroundings. Everyone thinks we live in a free society and wonders why most of us here on this forum train to protect ourselves and others we love.

·
Registered
14,194 Posts
Not much information to work on or with here but I wish anyone with a gun permit would have been close enough to have assisted her. Would be a blessing to catch him quickly and punish with 110% justice especially before others are harmed.

Man or Woman, door locked, clear exit with the key's in the ignition, cell phone very accessible and dash cam running.
Therin lies the problem. SHE should have had a gun. Too many people go through life expecting everyone else to do the heavy lifting. It is unfortunate that she was a victim of such a vicious assault, but at what point do people take responsibility for their own safety?

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
This type of situation and or outcome is not justifiable by the numbers. It's not a numbers game. Sure, in my city no one was raped today, but....And there is nothing to really stop it. One of these incidents a year anywhere in the world is one too many. Being a scum bag or mentally ill is not an excuse.

We need harsher laws. And keep making the laws harsher until it stops. I am not an extremist but I think a person who rapes once should be put to death. It is completely unacceptable to inflict this type of evil on anyone. Then if they have killed the person they force themselves onto the evildoer should be killed twice.
Well, I sure can't argue with that. I'd love to see harsher penalties for scum like this.

Still, it wouldn't stop them all. Some people will do evil things no matter what punishment they might face. There's a pretty good chance they won't be caught, and there's only so much we can empower our systems to do to find and punish them. Governments, after all, are made of people, and as much evil as criminals can do, it's dwarfed by the evil that governments have done.

It's likely that this woman didn't take any substantial precautions to protect herself from violent crime. I don't blame her for that, if it's true; I say it because most people don't, and that's a social problem, not really the fault of any particular crime victim. Obviously the true blame for a crime should go to the person who commits it, but at the same time, we all know that there are such people out there.

We do a good job of preparing for most risks in life - we wear seatbelts, install fire alarms, call 911 for medical emergencies, and so on. Yet the average American has about a one in four chance of being the victim of a violent crime during his or her lifetime, and we usually fail to prepare for it. I think part of this is political; a certain faction has an interest in protecting criminals and discouraging self-defense. But probably a greater part of it is psychological. People can accept that accidents and illness are a danger, but they don't want to believe in human evil. It's too frightening to think of what others are capable of, and horrifying that anyone would choose to do it.

I think we're going in the right direction, as evidenced by the popularity of defensive firearms and other self-defense tools. Still a long way to go. We could help by better education, I think. Part of becoming an adult is to take full responsibility for one's own physical safety, and it's one of many responsibilities that our schools fail miserably in teaching.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Therin lies the problem. SHE should have had a gun. Too many people go through life expecting everyone else to do the heavy lifting. It is unfortunate that she was a victim of such a vicious assault, but at what point do people take responsibility for their own safety?
We do not know if she had one or not. She may have had a hand grenade, a shoe bomb, and a poisonous Brazilian Wandering Spider and she could not use any because she never saw it coming or the attack was just that surprising.

Some people just cannot live a lifestyle of self-preservation that involves or requires violence. Your right it is unfortunate.

Reactions: OD* and Bad Bob

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Unfortunately false rape and pedophilia reports are very common. Rape is the number one falsely reported crime. A woman gets drunk and has sex and then changes her mind the next day or just gets mad at a guy. A woman fighting for custody makes a false accusation of pedophilia against her ex to get granted full custody. There have been a slew of stories in the news over the last few years, like the Duke Lacrosse story and the articles written in Rolling Stone that turned out to be fantasy. Innocent people had their lives ruined over false accusations.

This isn't the case here, but it's something to consider.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Update:
"The doors where locked but her windows were down so he was able to reach in and get the door open," Satellite Beach police Officer Brad Hodge said.

The victim said the man threatened her life multiple times and sexually battered her in the parking lot, officials said.

"She waited a few minutes (after the attack was over), heard what she thought was a vehicle start up and leave, (and) at that time she got up and drove to the Police Department for help," Hodge said.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/wo...cked-raped-at-satellite-beach-park-police-say

Reactions: graydude

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds like she fought back; possible scratches or bruises on his face, and she bit his tongue. It's hard to say what effect that had, but hopefully it left a mark.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
"Part of becoming an adult is to take full responsibility for one's own physical safety, and it's one of many responsibilities that our schools fail miserably in teaching."

I agree that full responsibility is one of the steps to adulthood. However, while they schools could play a role in inculcating this attribute, I think it is more effectively learned from one's parents and family. There is more time spent with family therefore giving a more profound influence. Also, there are too many other subjects being ignored by the schools that really should be taught to build a functional citizen.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm going to show this to my wife. She sees no problem with being oblivious to her surroundings. I stopped at a gas station last week after dark. When I returned to my truck, my wife had her head buried in herh phone on faceboo (or sometihng else silly) and was so wrapped up in that the she did not even see me walk back to the truck and open the door. Even folks who don't carry need to be aware of their surroundings. She won't listen when I tell her that she makes herself easy for predators (sitting in a vehicle, not looking around). If someone had been intent on doing something bad she would have been an easy target. Now I won't stop at night with you in the truck, I would rather take her home and go back out. Situational awareness is so important. Even for those of us who carry should realize that being aware of our surroundings can alert of of dangers before they are upon us. So sad for this woman, but so many are guilty of not being watchful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Part of becoming an adult is to take full responsibility for one's own physical safety, and it's one of many responsibilities that our schools fail miserably in teaching."

I agree that full responsibility is one of the steps to adulthood. However, while they schools could play a role in inculcating this attribute, I think it is more effectively learned from one's parents and family. There is more time spent with family therefore giving a more profound influence. Also, there are too many other subjects being ignored by the schools that really should be taught to build a functional citizen.
The family unit is so unbelievably important. Of course for the influence of personal responsibility when it comes to physical safety, but also when it comes to reducing the criminal population.

Sure there will be people that are just evil and bad no matter how you raise them. But there aren't that many of those. The criminal that perpetrated this deplorable act had parents, and if he lived in the USA during his childhood, then he went to school.

These institutions should not just give you the skills to take care of yourself, they should also give you the values that keep you from turning into one of the bad guys.

This might have been what you were talking about with the line "functional citizen". But I felt the need to really get at the root of what that means.

While we are forcing kids to go to school, couldn't we take a bit more of an interest in them to make sure they don't turn into thugs while we are teaching everyone how to never be a victim?

Maybe it is asking too much. But I have faith in the human race.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts

I certainly agree, parents should be teaching this as well. I wouldn't let schools off the hook, though. They teach other things that can save lives, like fire safety, first aid, swimming, driving skills and so on. No reason why basic situational awareness and self-defense shouldn't be part of the curriculum. Unfortunately they seem intent on churning out future victims, as by inculcating a fear of guns and punishing students who defend themselves from assault.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts